electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Building a composition with multiple cooks in the kitchen
Page 1 of 2 [37 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
nobody

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Building a composition with multiple cooks in the kitchen
Subject description: Taking turns, of course
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd like to start a musical chairs type project, in which each person creates one part of a song, using only one patch (a drum kit counts as a single part), and not modifying any other parts. It happens one person at a time, so the composition builds across several composers.

Any takers? If so, I'll start.
nobody

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cry

Nobuddy wants to play with me...
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For some reason I missed this first time you posted. I'll play along! Smile

/Stefan

nobody

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

too much coffee

Awesome! I guess it just needed a bump. Let's see if anyone else wants to get on board. I'd need to have a list of people so we can pass it on from one to another in sequence. Or heck, I can just start and give it to you, and you can decide who to give it to next.
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the title of this thread reminds me of that of an old song by Robert Cray: "Too many cooks are gonna spoil the stew" Wink

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
nobody

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wanna help spoil the stew?
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

audiodef wrote:
Wanna help spoil the stew?

Thanks but I am already busy spoiling my own stew Shocked

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Antimon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess it would be most fun if there were a couple more cooks but I'm always game for a bit of noodling. Smile

/Stefan

nobody

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll just start, you can take the next leg, and maybe by then someone else will step in to continue it.

Here's my part.

The rules are simple:

1. The current composer must give the go-ahead to the next composer (otherwise it'll get confusing as to who added what when). If possible, just give it to the next person who wants to join.

2. Only one part per composer. It can be one patch from one instrument, a big layered pad, or even six sequentially sampled synths. It just has to be one part. You can even play the individual parts of a layered part, as I did in my segment. If you want to do a drum kit, that counts as one part (just so you're not stuck hitting up one lonely snare drum and really, where's the fun in that?).

3. No meddling with parts that aren't yours. No splicing of other parts. You have to add something not based on samples of previous parts, etc. Related to this, please don't compress, EQ or otherwise master mixes. That'll all happen at the end when we've added enough parts.

4. Post attachments to this thread so we can all see how it builds up. If possible, post both the mix and your own individual part. If not, post the mix and send me your individual part. I'm going to create a final master when it's all done. If possible, please post in .wav format. If more space is needed beyond anyone's file limits, I will happily host the files on my own hosting account.

5. You can add parts before and/or after the end of the existing mix as it came to you. The length does not have to remain fixed. However, I'm hoping to NOT make it a epic length. I'm thinking 6 minutes max would be good. But I'm not going to put my foot down about it.

6. Have fun! We'll decide on a name when it's done. Maybe I'll even put it on my next album and mention how it was composed.

EDIT: Forgot to add some info. My part's in A minor (that doesn't mean yours has to be, but if you play in A-flat major, don't blame me). 150 bpm, with the repetition occurring every 6 quarter notes. Yes, somewhat of a funky setup, but it works in rhythm. The chord changes are A-C-D, then A-D-F, otherwise it's all A.

[attachment removed by Blue Hell on request by poster]
nobody

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stefan, did you want to take it from here?
Antimon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, sorry. I needed to get past yesterday's streaming event before I could concentrate on this. I've listened to the track and like it.

Sorry for being slow. Will post something soon. Smile

/Stefan

nobody

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No hurry. Just wanted to make sure you wanted to take the next segment.

I missed most of last night's stream. I'm sure I'll play back any recordings uploaded. How was it?
Antimon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, here's a track! I messed around a bit, couldn't get a hold of the 6/4 beat, but I ended up with something. If I did this by myself, I would probably want to carve away stuff from this track later, to make room for other ideas that pop up, but if that's against the rules then so be it. Hopefully it's in ok sync. It's silent at the beginning, but if you align it with the first track it should work.

I'm also posting a mix as an mp3 - no point wasting space on intermediate mixes.

The Ambient Evening was great! Some splendid music performed and a good time had in the chat. That stuff makes up highlights in my otherwise dull life.

/Stefan

Antimon_stabs.wav
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Antimon_stabs.wav
 Filesize:  31.09 MB
 Downloaded:  1424 Time(s)

ManyCooks_mix.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  ManyCooks_mix.mp3
 Filesize:  2.81 MB
 Downloaded:  1475 Time(s)

nobody

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll fire up my music DAW and take a listen.

I was debating whether it would be alright for people to edit their own tracks later, and I guess I don't see why not! But I think it should wait until it comes back around.

EDIT: Total coolness, Stefan!

OK, who wants to go next?
nobody

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just giving this a bump. This project is open for the next composer!
nobody

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bump # II. Anyone? Bueller?
droffset

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey there just saw this thread.
I can't guarantee that it'll be any good but I wouldn't mind having a go with my tr-505 as a drum part. Let's see how it goes?

If I can find better kit I'll use that, might have some samples around here somewhere.

It's that or tin cans, lol. Or an obnoxious electric guitar part, which would be fun too.

Edit: Spelling mistakes.
Antimon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Go for it, d00D!

/Stefan

Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello...

Thought id give a simple bass sound played along with uploaded wav sounds 1 & 2 , on the Roland juno 106 going thru my guitar FX pedal board .
Here's the mp3 tester mix for space save ... if you think it fits in any way i'll post the part as a wav on it's own.

Dave.

many cooks skrog mix.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  many cooks skrog mix.mp3
 Filesize:  4.23 MB
 Downloaded:  1239 Time(s)

Antimon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool! I think that can fit together nicely with a beat from droffset. Smile

/Stefan

nobody

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

droffset wrote:

It's that or tin cans, lol. Or an obnoxious electric guitar part, which would be fun too.

Tin cans, obnoxious guitars - it's all good!

Go for it, Dr.!

I'll check out Skrog's part soon.
droffset

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Still working, haven't forgotten. Something like this is good for seeing what gear/software I actually have and if I even know how to use it!

droffset

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok here's a pass at a drum track. I'm actualy pretty happy with how it turned out, but I'm happy to make changes if needed.

There are a couple of tricky changes in there too that I tried to pick out as well as possible.

Arraged in Milkytracker on an eeePC 710 running Ubuntu.
Mix ad comparisons while working done in Audacity,

Samples courtesy of Amen Break and a crash cymbal from a 808.

Looking at it I'd want software that could have the audio track and either midi or a sample clip track at the same time.

Enjoy!

many_cooks_droff_mix.mp3
 Description:
Temp Mix With Drums

Download
 Filename:  many_cooks_droff_mix.mp3
 Filesize:  2.47 MB
 Downloaded:  1286 Time(s)

manycooksDroffsetDrums01.wav
 Description:
Many Cooks Drum Track

Download
 Filename:  manycooksDroffsetDrums01.wav
 Filesize:  30.62 MB
 Downloaded:  1296 Time(s)

Antimon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cheers Things are cooking! afro

/Stefan

nobody

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Skrogg, I like your part. Could you solo it into a 16-bit, 44.1 .wav?
Page 1 of 2 [37 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Jump to: