electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
NJM2069 vcf+vca chip infos needed
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
iorobyy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: NJM2069 vcf+vca chip infos needed Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi diyers! Wink yesterday a friend tell me about a strange mythic vcf module (AM8069) in the Emulator Archive site.
The module is the based on the rare Korg NJM2069 -vcf+vca chip.
Well...i remeber me that in my dead synth cemetary there was some destroyed poly800 mainboard and...voila'! 2xnjm2069 founded!
So my brain goooo....i would to develop my njm module , so guys help...
infos needed: datasheets, schematics (dss-1 , dw6000 or other machines that use this phantomatic chip).
I need all the infos you know about this chip please.
I already have the dw8000 schematic , and the almost correct pinout.
. help me! Thank you
andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

have you seen this?

i have 4 or 5 of these chips......i say 4 or 5 cos i extracted one with a soldering iron, solder sucker and a dremel and it is probably dead. the other 4 were extracted with some multi thousand dollar device at tech which did the job beautifully in 1 minute. Anyway, it is pretty hard to get those chips out - be patient

page 22 of the dw8000 service manual should show you how to set it up.
the manual is here 4.6MB pdf
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

as a proud owner of the underrated DSS1 i've been looking for this IC in the past.
last year i talked to several people at KORG, even in person with the head of support for germany at the musikmesse. they have not been very cooperative. they refered me to the shops and stores who did/do maintainance for KORG. i started calling a view but they laughed at me (understandable after all these years).
however, i don't think this IC will be the first thing that will fade in my DSS1...

YashN

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:
last year i talked to several people at KORG, even in person with the head of support for germany at the musikmesse. they have not been very cooperative. they refered me to the shops and stores who did/do maintainance for KORG. i started calling a view but they laughed at me (understandable after all these years).

Quite strange considering it is considered among the best analog filters ever...

For having heavily played and modded my Poly-800, I know it quite well, and now even have a real polyphonic with it, the DW-8000. What sound!
    fonik

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

isn't the synth part of the DSS-1 a DW-8000 actually?

anyways, i hoped to build myself a module for my modular with this particular IC, alas, it seems to be an unobtainium these days.
    i bet somewhere is a drawer full of thousands of them, maybe even at one of the service shops i called - just forgotten.

YashN

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, they have the same or similar synthesis cores. Of course, the DSS-1 has some extras like loading samples and drawing your own waveforms (and more internal waveforms if I remember correctly, and the DW-8000 has some extras itself which are lacking on the DSS-1: arp and portamento, etc...

I think Dougt has some at $50 - synthparts.com

fonik wrote:
    isn't the synth part of the DSS-1 a DW-8000 actually?

anyways, i hoped to build myself a module for my modular with this particular IC, alas, it seems to be an unobtainium these days.
    i bet somewhere is a drawer full of thousands of them, maybe even at one of the service shops i called - just forgotten.
    fonik

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

YashN wrote:

then i'd rather buy another DSS-1 and get 8 of them Rolling Eyes

YashN

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If that suits you, sure, but it's a shame to ruin a perfectly good DSS-1 too!

If you manage to get a beaten-down DSS-1 which doesn't work but whose filters are still in good working condition, and the time spent for you removing the filters without damaging them * your rate/h that you would earn otherwise is less than what it would cost you through ordering, then it could be advantageous. Note: I am assuming the filters aren't socketed in the DSS-1 as they aren't in the DW-8000.

Better still: get a broken Poly-800, and extract the NJM2609 from it if it is in good condition: it's socketed in mine (which I got for $50).

Regs,

fonik wrote:
    YashN wrote:

then i'd rather buy another DSS-1 and get 8 of them Rolling Eyes
    n.d

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hope this helps:

(link reads wrong, but trust me, click it...)

http://wutierson.com/en/home/parts/tca350-14-2159-detail
    YashN

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, any new info on making a module out of the NJM2069?

I've given up on my Poly-800, so I now can build a full VCF module to go with the Fonitronik TH VCO-555 Very Happy
    YashN

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Read somewhere that apparently the NJM2069 was actually produced by Yamaha when they briefly owned Korg.

This does seem to be coherent with the fact that Korg themselves have no information on this chip internally.

Someone with inside connections at Yamaha could maybe confirm?

Additional info from a French forum: very fragile chip, so one must be careful with what goes through it.

Since it is socketed, it is the first chip I have salvaged from my Poly-800...
    YashN

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject:  Woah.... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Last night, while doing some reading/research on VCFs, I stumbled upon this, and at 7:00 it immediately sounded really familiar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMQT9pHyfI4

Now, I have neither of these synths nor modules, but what it reminded me of was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcUj3xzt3YE

You can't really tell from that latter video which is of far less quality and not much playing with Resonance occurs unfortunately, but I distinctly remember its quality.

So, my tentative conclusion (hopefully someone investigates this) from this is that the Korg NJM2069 was actually modelled silently and stealthily after that filter chip above...

If this is really the case, then Wow! wow! party time! happy smoker
    Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
    Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
    View unread posts
    View new posts in the last week
    Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
     Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
    Jump to: