electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
PC editor on the mac
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
DanielW

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: PC editor on the mac
Subject description: VMWare Fusion rocks!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm trying out the PC version of the editor running on XP running on VMWare Fusion on my MacBook Pro. It works a breeze, probably requires a dedicated midi interface though. But the PC editor is so much more stable than the OSX version.

It's so cool, with VMWare you can run the Windows apps like any other apps. No need to partition your hard drive or reboot. Switching between applications under Windows and mac applications works seamlessly.

While an updated OSX editor would be a dream come true, this setup goes a long way. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just a shame that you have to put Windose on in the first place! Laughing

I use Fusion too. It's good. Smile

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
DanielW

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Just a shame that you have to put Windose on in the first place! Laughing

Yeah. It's one of those rare occasions when it's worth it.
oisin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

anyone try this on parallels? i got some some initial midi weirdness and gave up quickly. but if it really does work well it might be worth it.
kagamul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Since this is my first post - hello everyone!

I run the Windows editor using VirtualBox hosting XP on my MacBook. Works like a charm!
Mantra

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

May i ask, how much CPU does this solution eat?

If you work with the Modular together with Logic 9 on a 2ghz macbook, how much cpu will be drained by the windows emulation itself?

I ask this because i might buy a micro modular if this solution would work without any noticable cpu drain. But running a virtual OS - that sounds heavy.

Look forward to an anwser Smile Since im gonna switch to mac
kagamul

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think it should work - I can record tracks at the same time in Pro Tools. But I do not use many plugins while recording so I don't know about CPU usage. I normally do not use the NM-editor and Pro Tools at the same time. Btw, you can pause the whole Windows emulation any time you do not need to edit.

VirtualBox is free and works on Windows and Linux too. You can download and test it even on your Windows machine emulating Windows! Confused
KABELTON

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: PC editor on the mac
Subject description: VMWare Fusion rocks!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DanielW wrote:
I'm trying out the PC version of the editor running on XP running on VMWare Fusion on my MacBook Pro. It works a breeze, probably requires a dedicated midi interface though. But the PC editor is so much more stable than the OSX version.

It's so cool, with VMWare you can run the Windows apps like any other apps. No need to partition your hard drive or reboot. Switching between applications under Windows and mac applications works seamlessly

Hi, have u windows7? Best..

While an updated OSX editor would be a dream come true, this setup goes a long way. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

nanotone

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oisin wrote:
anyone try this on parallels? i got some some initial midi weirdness and gave up quickly. but if it really does work well it might be worth it.

I use the NM Editor with Parallels on an iMac with OSX 10.6 without any problem.
KABELTON

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great to hear, thanks!
rowett

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this works great. i'm running XP under VMWare Fusion 2.0 on Snow Leopard and it works great. i didn't even try the OS X beta version of the editor - why bother if it's so buggy, and this works so well? highly recommended...(so far at least...)
animatek

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i´m using a reduced version of windows xp, only 80mg is perfect to run in parallels...

MicroXP v0.8

Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Jump to: