electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Intro to Lunettas - Document
Page 1 of 2 [41 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
droffset

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Intro to Lunettas - Document Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I started this a while back but realized I need help on it. It's meant to be a complete beginners guide to understanding and building your first Lunetta.

Would you like to help flesh it out?

Here's the document.
https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AZIwOP-PR9sSZDlidzgzbV8wY3RjenJqanY&hl=en

I'd like to post it here on the forum because it directly quotes many EM people and threads. It's just not done yet and I was hanging on to it until it was a bit more polished.

Why I'm posting this now:
When I heard Les (Inventor) was going to do a tutorial radio show about building basic Lunetta stuff I was really excited. Then I had a chat with Psyingo about the work he's doing writing about Lunettas, so I dug out my rough draft and started cleaning it up. This is meant to support their efforts not steal their thunder.

Edit to add:
I'll add tutorial style videos I find here:

Edit: Spelling mistakes.

Last edited by droffset on Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow Droffset!

I am so impressed! This is really necessary! I am at the beginning of the Lunetta voyage and this sort of comprehensive guide is really useful. I was chatting to psyingo too about this. I see great Lunettas around the place but little information about what's going on 'under the hood'. As an outsider it seems like this Lunetta thing is covered in some sort of veil of secrecy Smile .

I'd like to get in on the action but being relatively new to DIY as a whole, I find this a total mystery! I'm still a solder by numbers builder! I see Lunettas with lots and lots of banana sockets on them in brief cases, but no explanation in lay terms as to what is going on underneath.

Schematics or stripboard diagrams would be good, but maybe that's not the way this Lunetta philosophy works! Anyway, thanks for throwing this up onto the forum... I am going scrutinize your document right away!

-SteVe-
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I see no "stealing thunder" here. You are only adding material to this explosion of creativity that exists here at electro-music and especially in the Lunetta forum. I'll do my shows and you'll do your projects and doc(s), and together we'll build a world and have some fun in it!

Cheers...

Les

droffset

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@-minus-
I think a lot of us experienced the same thing when trying to find info on this stuff. Smile When this subforum got started up (before I joined EM) everyone was very excited and started putting ideas into the mix. That was great for developing the machines and techniques you see now but it is a bit hard to wade through.

There are times when a schematic will make an idea much more clear, definitely. I'd also like to take some photos as well for illustration of building techniques, etc.

@Inventor
Great!

In general, if people have info that should be added, or questions that should be answered by the document this is a great place to put it.

If you're an experienced Lunetta builder or CMOS user and would like to add info on your own to the document let me know and we'll sort out the editing button.

RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well it's about time, droffset. Rolling Eyes

Smile It really look great so far - nice job!

bruce

"I want to make these sounds that go wooo-wooo-ah-woo-woo.”
(Herb Deutsch to Bob Moog ~1963)
droffset

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Cool Cool Cool

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

droffset, I'd like to add my material for the emerging "Beginner Lunetta" course to be covered on Inventer's Inventions radio show. This includes photos, schematics, Bills of Material, and content. You can get all the info from the Inventor's Inventions thread in Streaming Radio Station forum.

Les

droffset

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great thanks, I'll make a section for this stuff in there.
Interesting use of OpAmps, nifty to have a stereo option. Smile

Since the project for the show is using a TL074, would the builder of that need a 2 9v battery setup for the dual pole power thing? We might need a section in the document that details that distinction, since CMOS ICs don't require them.

I'm not the biggest expert on opamps by the way.

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually droffset, the opamp is run single supply. And it's just a voltage follower so no artificial ground is required.

Les

droffset

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cheers Les, I learn something new every day. Smile

electri-fire

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What an excellent idea. I will be reading this with great interest, and comment where I feel it's appropriate. Thank you for the great work Droffset!
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I thought it might be worth posting this link here:

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/components/cmos.htm#4001

I was directed to it by someone in the Chat Room. It contains information and explanation of the CMOS 4000 series IC's... pin labeling, application, linking several together etc. I'm finding this really useful. Perhaps you may want to add it to THE DOCUMENT...
droffset

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, that's a great site, i'll make sure it's in there.

If you have Java installed on your computer you should try this one:
http://falstad.com/circuit/

It's a realtime simulator, great for visualizing lots of electronics ideas, make sure to dig into the menus.

monokinetic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great work Droffset! Bring on the Lunettas Twisted Evil

I have a few suggestions, will PM you for how to get access to the doc etc.

David
rosch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

good work, droffset!
i've just built an APC and a cacophonator, and looking forward to get into Lunettas, too.
i just ordered some parts i hope i can make good use of:
2 sets of 25x 4000 series ICs (random) and 100pcs 74 series ICs (random too), for just a few bucks from www.pollin.de

so let's see what happens Smile
droffset

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome Rosch, I'd be interested to know what ICs came in those packages. We can make use of pretty much anything, so you'll have fun.

Since you'll have 74xxx series stuff too you should think about using to using a 5v power supply for the machine so things can talk to each other nicely. There's a simple way to do it with a 7805 voltage regulator and a couple of capacitors.

Also please make sure to post here if the document is missing something that you need to keep progressing.

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

droffset, here is a little write-up of the Boolean Sequencer as a Lunetta. It doesn't cover everything, but it's a good start. Pleas add this to the document at your convenience.

Les

BooleanSequencerTutorial.txt
 Description:
Boolean Sequencing Tutorial

Download
 Filename:  BooleanSequencerTutorial.txt
 Filesize:  4.72 KB
 Downloaded:  1112 Time(s)

droffset

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Les, I will do so asap.
Sorry I haven't added much lately, I've been a bit busy.

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's another one for ya droffset - it's about construction methods.

Les

ConstructionMethods.txt
 Description:
Construction methods text

Download
 Filename:  ConstructionMethods.txt
 Filesize:  4.25 KB
 Downloaded:  653 Time(s)

droffset

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Both have been added, and I'll add your images asap. Much appreciated Les!

electri-fire

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
droffset, here is a little write-up of the Boolean Sequencer as a Lunetta.

Nice Les, thanks! Some remarks on the timing part though:

Some quotes from this write-up:
Inventor wrote:

First, make an LFO clock signal of your choice. This clock is usually of a constant frequency, though you could vary the frequency over time if you like. The notes

produced by the Boolean Sequencer will normally occur once per clock cycle, so if you like 4/4 timing then make the clock be 4Hz.

Here is what is happening in the circuit: The LFO clocks the CD4040 at the desired note rate.

At four quarter timing (four notes per second) a 4096 step sequence will last for 1024 seconds.

A 4/4 timing means 4 notes per beat, not per second. In fact, you'd want the LFO clock to be variable in speed, so you can adjust the number of notes per second, more often expressed as BPM, or beats per minute. With a fixed speed LFO as a clock you would have just one BPM setting.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

electri-fire (Mathe), please explain a bit more. I know that I have a really poor music education, so I don't understand BPM and timing. I thouht four quarter timing was 4 Hz, and apparently that is not correct.

I like to listen to the music I create at 6Hz approximately whatever that says about me, lol.

And as I mentioned to droffset in the chatroom last night, a correction to the doc is that the input clock must be at twice the note rate, not once per note, so it would be 8Hz not 4Hz. Or whatever.

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is a short text about Lunetta interconnect methods for the doc, droffset.

Les

Interconnect.txt
 Description:
Interconnect writeup

Download
 Filename:  Interconnect.txt
 Filesize:  2.06 KB
 Downloaded:  518 Time(s)

electri-fire

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In musical notation, a bar (or measure) is a segment of time defined as a given number of beats of a given duration.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar_(music)

The time signature (also known as meter signature) specifies how many beats are in each measure and which note value constitutes one beat.

Simple time signatures consist of two numerals, one stacked above the other:

the lower numeral indicates the note value which represents one beat (the "beat unit");
the upper numeral indicates how many such beats there are in a bar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_signatures

The tempo of a piece will typically be written at the start of a piece of music, and in modern music is usually indicated in beats per minute (BPM).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempo

To set tempo, you need to change the speed of the clock LFO. A fixed speed of 4 Hz has a BPM of 240 (120BPM after the 4040 has divided by 2 at minimum, as Droffset pointed out).

Barlines in musical notation are a means to organize/ facilitate the reading of music, but it is artificial, ermm.. fiction. The actual notes just continue, and you could divide a piece of music into bars of any length without changing the music when played.

If you play the same piece faster, more notes (beats) will be played during a minute, thus you have a higher BPM.

So to play more notes in a minute with your sequencer you increase the speed of the clock LFO.
droffset

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great info guys! About dividers and clocks, Lately I'm more frequently using a divided signal as the base to clock things, that way if later on a quicker tempo is needed there's ready made signal there for the using.

The only thing about the 4040(my favorite) that worries me is the asynchronous outputs that a ripple counter brings, but it does add some expression to the note changes. I like the idea of 4017 based dividers that give really nice synchronous /2 /3 /4 /5 etc divisions but haven't built one yet.

About beats and measures all I can add is that there's a reason we see more 8 and 16 step sequencers than 10 step ones, because a lot of music is based on 4 beats per measure. If you count the beats in music some repetition of a musical phrase will normally occur, for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0epDXa6hsJg
Bass drum is on 1 and 3, snare is on 2 and 4.

Waltz music is 3/4, so if you count along with the music it'll go
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob6TTU1knUM

Page 1 of 2 [41 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: