electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Microcontrollers and Programmable Logic
Integrated Keyboard Controller (IKC) DIY Project
Page 2 of 3 [65 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Funky40

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bill, are those Boards for longer available or is it just a one time run with a limited Number of boards ?
hmmm....big run ?

shit, one more fantastic project at EM Wink
philpeery

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I have one set that I have started to build, but would like to be able to plan for 2 or 3 more over the course of the next 6 months or so.

Bill - what's the long term plan for this one into next year? Inquiring minds want to know!

Phil
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
OMG! I just have seen this thread! One question, in the MIDI mode is it possible to split the keyboard?

Yes, this thread has been sort of hidden. Right now the IKC, in it's native MIDI mode, can scan a single keyboard up to 5 octaves with no split capability. The expansion board however will allow for this feature by translating the MIDI data being output so that one can use two MIDI channels, one for either half of the keyboard, and split the MIDI note distribution as if there were two keyboards.

I would suggest reading the Build document for a complete description of the IKC's capabilities as their are many AND has some really cool analog features. I have sold a few of these kits so I hope folks will post their results and applications.

Thanks for reading ...............

Bill
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Funky / Phil ............ This is not a short term project so rest assured, this will be around for a LONG time guys ......Myself and Dan Lavin will have the expansion ready during the next year and hopefully by late spring early summer. In fact I have already purchased the prototype controllers for it. The Scott Stites Appendage Touch Ribbon Controller project got me busy right now as we are in the prototyping of the printed circuit boards right now. Wink

As always, I so much appreciate the support I get from many on this forum and it makes me want to serve you all that much more !!! Very Happy

Bill
JoeMorris

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am looking into making a totally analogue DIY monophonic keyboard synth. I have a few questions:

Are these boards still available?

Do they allow use of mod/pitch wheels?

Do they allow velocity output for use in an analogue synth VCA section so you can multiply an adsr input depending on key velocity?

IS this the best tool for my job, given that I dont really need the MIDI aspects... i.e. is there an analogue only equivalent to this design anywhere?

Thanks

Joe
Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Joe!

Yes, State Machine still has boards. He'll be more than happy to set you up.

Yes, they allow for pitch bend and mod wheels for the analog. I have both. The PB wheel is tied to + and - voltages and the tap is wired into one of the CV inputs. It's then "merged" with the kbd CV output. My mod wheel is wired to an input jack and then tied into one of the CV inputs. This way, I can input an LFO, red noise, or whatever CV for modulation purposes.

There is no analog output for velocity.

The closest analog equivalent would be TH's original design in his Build a Better Synthesizer book, but he does use digital circuitry interfaced to a D/A converter to make it work. You can also look at Music From Outer Space (MFOS) too.

good luck! -Dan
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
There is no analog output for velocity.

Yes, this is correct and would most likely be a nice add on ...

Quote:
The closest analog equivalent would be TH's original design in his Build a Better Synthesizer book, but he does use digital circuitry interfaced to a D/A converter to make it work. You can also look at Music From Outer Space (MFOS) too

Yes, The TH design is what this is originally based on but the IKC is a highly integrated version by which most functions have been in embedded into one chip and then enhanced. One new enhancement is a cool feature by which you can input two digital inputs to control a 4 octave range to create an arpeggio. Crank the rate and you get some really WILD effects. The TH design also has no PCB available so your relegate to wire wrapping a pile of IC's on a perf board.

Also, my design can cover a wider octave range of up to 8 octaves and interfaces directly to Fatar keybeds.

Yes, MFOS has keyboard product but I think it's just a simple resistive ladder network. I would go check for fear of not giving you the correct information.

I would suggest downloading the IKC build manual and reading through it. I believe you find it just may be the thing your looking for.
JoeMorris

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It does look nice, but I'm really keen to get velocity working on my keyboard. How would one go about adding that to this design?
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
It does look nice, but I'm really keen to get velocity working on my keyboard. How would one go about adding that to this design?

Well, the harder you hit the key, the faster the key travels. Some keyboards have two sets of contacts for each key thus the time between contact closures would be an inverse proportion to how hard the key was hit. The higher the velocity, the shorter the time between closures. If I were to add velocity, I would detect these closures, measure the time, scale it, then using that as input to a DAC to provide a CV for external VCA. Alternatively, once you get the time between closures, some value, then things become easy to use this to index various look up tables of velocity data so that I could provide linear or log response. For LOG response, a linear VCA would be used. For linear response, a log responding VCA would be used thus it would adapt to whatever type VCA you had.

As it stands right now, I would just end up redesigning the whole thing and add velocity, polyphonic capability, more octaves, etc ....

Bill

DSC00894.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.14 MB
 Viewed:  822 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

DSC00894.JPG

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is a functional block diagram of the IKC to give anyone a better overview of how everything is tied together.

The next two diagrams provide an overview of what goes on inside the CPLD. They are the scan logic and the MIDI data generator logic.

I could have opted to use a microcontroller but this was more of an excuse for me to design everything in hardware rather then code it up with assembler, C, or BASIC.

Bill

IKC BLOCK DIAGRAM.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  IKC BLOCK DIAGRAM.pdf
 Filesize:  45.17 KB
 Downloaded:  902 Time(s)

KEYSCAN_LOGIC_BLOCK.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  KEYSCAN_LOGIC_BLOCK.pdf
 Filesize:  55.34 KB
 Downloaded:  996 Time(s)

MIDI_ENGINE.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  MIDI_ENGINE.pdf
 Filesize:  45.69 KB
 Downloaded:  886 Time(s)

slo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've built the IKC in the most minimum configuration I can, just to light it up and see that my keyboard works. I used a garage sale $5 61 note Yamaha and rewired the matrix on it to conform to the 8x8 needed for the IKC, this was the most time-consuming part of the project. The rest of the build was easy with excellent error free docs from Bill (State Machine). The good news is I have voltage, gate and trigger, with tune and port knobs, but to do a proper calibration I'm going to need to hook up the octave switching, which brings me to my question. The schematics show a rotary switch being used and I would like to go with normal switches ala State Machine. Anyone done this? and have a wiring diagram.

George

[/img]

IMG_0321.JPG
 Description:
Bare bones IKC
 Filesize:  128.99 KB
 Viewed:  618 Time(s)

IMG_0321.JPG

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Slo,

Looks great and it's coming along nicely !!! Here is a diagram showing how switches can be wired for octave switching. Just click on the graphic to make larger.

Hope this helps Wink

Bill

OCTAVE_SWITCHES.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  70.35 KB
 Viewed:  626 Time(s)

OCTAVE_SWITCHES.JPG

slo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, I see now, pull-up resistors, the ground in the rotary schematic had me confused. Thanks Bill, will keep you posted as I finalize a case design and add the other components of this project.

George
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This will work better and eliminates the resistors. If you see on the schematic (Octave Inputs), there are 2 10K pull down resistors (R3/R4) already on the circuit board and thus a ground is not needed for a logic zero, just leave the pin open for that. For a logic one, you apply 5V directly to the pin. There is plenty of limiting. Here is the revised schematic showing how to wire up two panel switches to do your octave switching. Just make sure your contacts are "closed" when the switch is in the UP position. Wink

Hope this clears things up more Wink

Bill

OCTAVE_INPUTS.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  55.26 KB
 Viewed:  571 Time(s)

OCTAVE_INPUTS.JPG

OCTAVE_SWITCH_BETTER.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  72.89 KB
 Viewed:  577 Time(s)

OCTAVE_SWITCH_BETTER.JPG

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also, to mount your MCC display. here is documentation on exactly what you need to accomplish this:

Bill

PS: I have the BLUE bezels BTW if you need.

MCC.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  MCC.pdf
 Filesize:  2.53 MB
 Downloaded:  839 Time(s)

slo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Bill, did the octave switches as per revised diagram. I am getting the logic change as far as D11 and D12 cathode side but not on the anode side, so no voltage change when switches operated. My CV output is high at rest, about 2.6v indicating the octave logic might be resting high. Either the diodes are bad, which I doubt or something else is going on. Does the PCB need to be mounted on metal to make physical grounds at all the mounting holes marked GND? Any thoughts?

George
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Thanks Bill, did the octave switches as per revised diagram. I am getting the logic change as far as D11 and D12 cathode side but not on the anode side, so no voltage change when switches operated. My CV output is high at rest, about 2.6v indicating the octave logic might be resting high. Either the diodes are bad, which I doubt or something else is going on. Does the PCB need to be mounted on metal to make physical grounds at all the mounting holes marked GND? Any thoughts?

Yup, I see whats going on. If you leave the U7 LFO 1&2 control THRESHOLD inputs floating, the outputs on pins 1 & 7 will go to the positive rail (or close to it) and cause the OCTAVE control logic to assume a +36 semitone offset. If the LFO circuit is not wired up yet, just pull U7 from it's socket to prevent this from happening. Now your OCTAVE control switches should work normally. Seeing that your CV was sitting at 2.6, it had to be tweaked up another 0.4 volts. Very Happy

My calibration procedure assumes that you have your panel totally wired, including the LFO octave controls.

Her is an excerp from the calibration procedure on page 56 of the documentation:

"In preparation, turn LFO 1 and 2 THRESHOLD potentiometers fully clockwise so that they do not interfere with the calibration. Remove any input to the LFO 1 & 2 input jacks."

Hope this all helps !
Bill
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This diagram shows all the possible sources that can control the OCTAVE logic in the CPLD:

Bill

LFO_switches_ext_octave_switching.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  139.67 KB
 Viewed:  848 Time(s)

LFO_switches_ext_octave_switching.JPG

slo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, that did the trick, pulled U7, and octave switching works. I'm going to hook everything up now and not be lazy to avoid any another issues like this. I will leave calibration till its all hooked up properly.

George
slo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've ordered a doepfer wheel box from analog haven:

http://www.analoguehaven.com/doepfer/spareparts/wheelbox/

Now it's occured to me, I really don't know how to wire this up! In the spec it states it has 40% travel yeilding only 1.6v from a 5v source, will this be enough to mod and pitch bend? or do I need scaling circuitry. It has 10k pots and has to be assembled

George
Luka

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What are the requirements of the keyboard for use with the IKC.

I have a keyboard from a organ sitting in my room waiting for use. What should i check to see if it is compatible?

http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
What are the requirements of the keyboard for use with the IKC.

I have attached drawings of a Fatar keyboard matrix and how it interconnects to the IKC scan logic. I think these two drawings upon careful study will answer your question.

The Matrix61 is Fatars 5 octave keybed assembly. The IKC utilizes only the MK (Make) contacts and the T lines. The ROW outputs have to drive the T lines and the COL inputs read the MK lines. The schematics will show all this.

Please download the build documentation for further information.

If you need further assistance, please ask.

Thanks
Bill

Matrix_61.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  64.08 KB
 Viewed:  673 Time(s)

Matrix_61.gif

connect_to_fatar_5_octave.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  connect_to_fatar_5_octave.pdf
 Filesize:  145.41 KB
 Downloaded:  692 Time(s)

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I do have an adapter board that I have designed to make it a snap to interface to the Fatar keyboard assemblies. The attached picture shows this assembly.

Bill

DSC01335.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.15 MB
 Viewed:  603 Time(s)

DSC01335.JPG

DSC01325.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  933.26 KB
 Viewed:  587 Time(s)

DSC01325.JPG

DSC01324.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  978.87 KB
 Viewed:  623 Time(s)

DSC01324.JPG

DSC01321.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  939.1 KB
 Viewed:  753 Time(s)

DSC01321.JPG

slo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I finally built the IKC, its working great, the LFO sections are really neat. The build was easy with the keyboard re-wiring matrix taking the most time. I decided early on to incorporate some other controllers too. So the final product will have a joystick and ribbon controller. I took a bit of a modular approach and the completed work so far consists of the IKC and a Flight of Harmony Choices joystick controller. The IKC jacks are spread over three panels, with the ourputs on a rear panel. I went with Front panel Express 'cause I wanted it to look beautifull. I am now working on the Appendage pcb and panel with detachable ribbon in front of the keys. See Appendage build thread for panel design. Hope you like!
http://electro-music.com/forum/post-299494.html#299494
George

IMG_0527.JPG
 Description:
IKC part 1
 Filesize:  120.96 KB
 Viewed:  634 Time(s)

IMG_0527.JPG

IMG_0526.JPG
 Description:
IKC end view
 Filesize:  96.68 KB
 Viewed:  575 Time(s)

IMG_0526.JPG

Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

George,

Looks good! Glad to see someone else incorporate wheels! I wish I has a joystick like yours, though! The panels looks sharp. With the appendage, this is one killer synth controller!

Page 2 of 3 [65 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Microcontrollers and Programmable Logic
Jump to: