electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » News... » Apple Computers
New MacBook Pros: Record to SD Cards?
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
ggm1960

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: New MacBook Pros: Record to SD Cards? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I bought a new 15" MBP in Dec 2008. I already had one that was a couple years old but I bought the new one because it was the last chance to get one that had both firewire 400 & 800 ports as well as the expresscard 34 port.

For some reason, that isn't quite clear, the 15" MBPs since then have only one firewire 800 port and the expresscard 34 port got dropped in favor of an SD memory card slot.
As a musician this seemed like a terrible idea to me. I had a pretty good live performance setup going with a Presonus or Hercules interface plugged into the FW400 port and a Glyph PortaGig HD plugged into the FW800 port.

So I've been wondering and thinking since then, how to get a good recording setup going on one of these newer MBPs. I suppose it's possible, and perhaps works fine, to daisy chain the interface through the external HD but It occured to me that some of these stand alone multi-track recorders use the SD memory cards.

Is anyone using SD memory cards as the recording/playback media on these newer MBPs? Seems like it could be a good idea, after all, the SD cards are small, lightweight, don't need extra space, don't require an external power supply, have no moving parts and aren't too expensive.

What say you?

Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » News... » Apple Computers
Jump to: