electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » electro-music.com
New Memeber - Initial thoughts
Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
SayersWeb

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 2:28 pm    Post subject: New Memeber - Initial thoughts Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

I saw Howard's post about this forum on BeyondEM today, so I came over and joined.

While I have a fresh pair of eyes maybe I can give a first impressions about the forum?

The idea is wonderful. I think the Yahoo Groups is too limited to build a true community. Also the topics are single threaded since they are email based.

It's also nice to have a collection of Artists to explore. I tried to create this with the BeyondEM pages at MP3.com. I posted monthly playlists, interviews, etc. The problem was that the entire burden was on me and it was a lot of work. Also, it was hard to get people to participate. Here an artist has control over their own content and the give and take of a forum can keep people coming back.

The Events and Concert Series, Associations, Organizations and Communities, and Artists sections of this site make perfect sense to me. It would be nice if there was some kind of genre indication for Artists on the main page. Maybe ask people to place it in their descriptions? I'm not sure what styles of electronic artists will use this site, but it could get frustrating to have to weed through dozens of dance related artists when I am in the mood to explore some new classic styled EM.

Instruments and Equipment only has entries for SoftSynths and Sequencers. What about hardware synths, mixing and recording, etc? Is there a plan to offer space for these discussions?

When I first read the How-To's I figured it was a FAQ on how to use the forums since it is in the same section as site News, and community building topics. It was surprising when it turned out to be studio techniques.

Would it be better to have one forum called studio/production/performance that could cover all topics from equipment to software to live performance? This could be where artists share their experiences, ask questions, etc. Similar to the EM Masterclass list at Yahoo Groups. Since a Forum can have multiple threads this could be a great way to have discussions on varying topics without having to drill-down through so many forums.

The News, Commentary, Schmooze and electro-music.com could probably all be rolled into one forum. This is where everyone could gather and would be the first place to check when you visit the site. Here relationships could be built between artists, fans, industry people, etc. It's where we all get to know one another and bcome a community.

I guess my point is that maybe things can be rolled up to fewer forums in an effort to build more of a community feel. The discussions are a bit disjointed since they are spread between so many different forums. If the need arises later things can be split out when it makes the most sense.

Oh, one last question. Is there a Forum FAQ that answers questions like how to add a new entry in the Artist area?

Well... whatever happens, I think this site is a great idea and I hope to contribute in a positive way. Please take these comments to be constructive and an effort to share intial impressions. I don't mean to seem ungrateful or don't want to ruffle any feathers. Wink

egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Sayer - welcome!
Your suggestions are great, I think they would streamline and improve things.
The FAQ could go in the electro-music.com forum. Or maybe rename that.
How-tos could be bundled in with instruments and equipment, and given a slightly broader title. Categories like HW synths, recording and engineering etc. could be added there. Technical stuff. Discussions about performance and experiences perhaps goes somewhere else.
SayersWeb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

egw wrote:
Hey Sayer - welcome!
Your suggestions are great, I think they would streamline and improve things.
The FAQ could go in the electro-music.com forum. Or maybe rename that.
How-tos could be bundled in with instruments and equipment, and given a slightly broader title. Categories like HW synths, recording and engineering etc. could be added there. Technical stuff. Discussions about performance and experiences perhaps goes somewhere else.
Great! Sounds like it would work out nicely.

BTW are you Greg Waltzer from BeyondEM? I think your EGW intitals are the same as his. Smile

egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes that's me!
Here's my musiclinks page:
http://waltzer.crosswinds.net/egw/musiclinks.htm
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent suggestions. Thanks. I'll start "hacking" as soon as I can. The forums and categories were just put up on the fly without too much careful thought. We were just trying out the forums to see if they held much promise.

I think the concept and the implementation PHPBB software is very good. It is easy for the admin to move topics around to different forums. It's all done via a pretty well designed web interface. My only complaint is that this text entry page, called bbcode, doesn't work as well with Netscape (even version 7) as it does with IE. The spellcheck function is a total bust with Netscape. It has caused me to switch browsers.

Sayer, your web site has a GREAT pic of your studio. I'm impressed how neat it is. Wink Maybe we could have something, a topic or something, where people post photos of their studios, with a description.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was really impressed with the photography on Sayer's site!

Photos of studios is a cool idea - Mark Pulver used to have a bunch of them up at midiwall, but I don't see them there anymore.
egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:25 am    Post subject: studio pics Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok, I found them:
http://www.midiwall.com/gear/gearpics.html
SayersWeb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi mosc! (Howard, right?) Yes... I really like this BB software. It gives a lot of flexibility. I have not had the pain of trying to administer one though! Wink

Yep, I gave up on Netscape a while ago for similar reasons. I tried to avoid IE out of prinicple, but eventually had to admit defeat and start using it.

Greg - Aha! I remember "Mutation Vector" from the BeyondEM station! I look forward to hearing some more MP3s of your music, do you have any online?

BTW... thanks to you both for checking out my studio pictures! It's always interesting to see what people do with their setups. I'm actually in the middle of reconfiguring my studio. Just bought a new rack synth to house the tabletop synths so that everything will be in easier reach:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Funny Greg should mention Mark Pulver. I email with his ex, Amanda Pehlke, from time to time.... She has a very impressive studio setup:
http://www.cikira.com/gear/index.html

She hasn't produced music in quite some time though... Seems like most people with a large synth collection become collectors and stop creating music. Sad

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SayersWeb wrote:
Just bought a new rack synth to house the tabletop synths so that everything will be in easier reach:

Looks great!

SayersWeb wrote:
Funny Greg should mention Mark Pulver. I email with his ex, Amanda Pehlke, from time to time.... She has a very impressive studio setup:

Yes, very impressive. And the studio looks pretty good too...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Sayer
mp3.com is a joke, so I haven't bothered to put any more mp3s up.
I am going to check out iuma. Seems more artist-friendly.
Meanwhile the latest Mutation Vector CD, "Placebo Merchant" will be available shortly right here on electro-music.com!

I know you're in the DC area - is there anything happening down there in terms of em performance venues? Have you ever been to the Red Room?
SayersWeb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MOSC wrote:
Sayer wrote:

Yes, very impressive. And the studio looks pretty good too...
LOL! I know what you mean!!! Laughing

Last edited by SayersWeb on Fri Apr 11, 2003 6:09 am; edited 1 time in total
SayersWeb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

egw wrote:
Hi Sayer
mp3.com is a joke, so I haven't bothered to put any more mp3s up.
I am going to check out iuma. Seems more artist-friendly.
Meanwhile the latest Mutation Vector CD, "Placebo Merchant" will be available shortly right here on electro-music.com!

I know you're in the DC area - is there anything happening down there in terms of em performance venues? Have you ever been to the Red Room?
IUMA is actually very good. The really nice thing (shhhh... don't tell anyone) is that you can host your music there and add the links to your personal website and have the songs stream from there. I think they call it "deep linking". I did this on the info page for my Dream Quest CD project: http://www.sayersweb.com/dreamquest/html/1st_encounter.html

I look forward to your latest track!

As far as the DC area.... I don't know of anything EM related here. There are a few DJs and clubs of that vein. Jazz is very big... No EM at that I know of. What/where is the Red Room?

egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why is it an advantage to stream from your personal site, rather than from iuma?

The Red Room is in Baltimore
http://www.redroom.org/
It's focus is on experimental music, but I think that includes some kinds of electronic music. I know Charles Cohen has played there.
SayersWeb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

egw wrote:
Why is it an advantage to stream from your personal site, rather than from iuma?
The biggest advantage is that you can incorporate streaming audio within your own web page's design. IUMA does not offer much flexibility in how you setup your page.

Say you have three different bands that you are a part of. You can create one page that has music from all of them.

egw wrote:
The Red Room is in Baltimore
http://www.redroom.org/
It's focus is on experimental music, but I think that includes some kinds of electronic music. I know Charles Cohen has played there.
Oh, thanks for the link. I'm not familiar with this venue.

I've been tempted to drive up to PA for a few of the Gathering events. I really wanted to see Free System Projekt there last year, but didn't know anyone that was attending. Sad

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Speaking of streaming and web sites. I've been considering offering such services here for members. Is there a need for this, and what kind of services should there be for musicians?

Another member here on this site, who I will not mention their name else they might be bombarded with requests for favors, has access to some disk/bandwidth resources.

egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SayersWeb wrote:
The biggest advantage is that you can incorporate streaming audio within your own web page's design. IUMA does not offer much flexibility in how you setup your page.

Say you have three different bands that you are a part of. You can create one page that has music from all of them.

OK, I get it now... you have the links on your home page, but you are streaming from Iuma's servers.
egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think you really need to have streaming when you are selling CDs - so people can check out samples of the music.
Not necessarily continuous streaming, like in a radio station format.
That's a different concept, but would also be a nice way to promote the music.
Norm Vogel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: Your own website Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Everyone knows that www.mp3.com sucks, but, sometimes, AMPCAST isn't much better!

I had a bad experience with Ampcast. As you probably know, they charge your credit card every few months. I didn't know it, but my Wife maxxed it out, so they were unable to draw from it.

They let me know that my site was going to be taken down ON THE VERY DAY THAT IT was TO BE TAKEN DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!

In other words, I had to "pay up" the day i recd the email, or my site would be taken down that very day!!!!!!!

I wrote 'em, saying that this was a lot of bullshit, and that, if the cc was ng, that they should've notified me. I got a rather "pissy" response from them.

So, i signed up with a new isp (www.powweb.com) that gives you 500MB, for about the same price that Ampcast charges. BUT, i have TOTAL CONTROL as to what i can do with it.

IUMA isn't bad, but i've found that you don't get much exposure there.

Norm

Normusic !

Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com
Jump to: