electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » MAX/MSP - Pd
Max For Live Beta
Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Max For Live Beta Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Video preview and other info posted here:
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/11/04/max-for-live-beta-is-here-final-version-november-23/#more-8245

Some old stuff on VIRB
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The full public beta is also available now so anyone can have a play.

Looks like the excuse I have been waiting for to lean Max fully.
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm on this one. Very Happy Hmm, Max is complicated...

/Stefan

jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any reports for this? I've never used MAX/MSP, but have used Pd at times to do specific tasks. But I'm getting to the point that I'd like to put together a 'system' of my own, custom mixer, step sequencer, etc. And MAX could help me tie it together with Live, which is the center of my software world.

Then through that, have my editing capabilities for the DSI Evolver, some custom Nord G2 patches, and maybe my Lexicon MPX-1, if I ever do get it ALL together.

Thoughts?
Is MAX running pretty smooth under Live?

(I have a Core 2 Duo 2GHz, 4GB RAM (well, technically 3GB)). What's missing (aside from stand-alone operation (don't care) and audio only from within Live (also don't think I care)).
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It runs well in Live for me.

I have only been doing fairly basic stuff but it has enabled me to get very tight integration between Live and my Pacarana.

I would recomend it myself.

Is there a demo

Cheers

Andy
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anyone know if Live Launchpad Edition supports Max For Live or other 3rd party plugins? Or does one have to upgrade to the full version of Live?

Some old stuff on VIRB
ark

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GovernorSilver wrote:
Anyone know if Live Launchpad Edition supports Max For Live or other 3rd party plugins? Or does one have to upgrade to the full version of Live?
I believe that to run any Max for Live plugins, you have to purchase the Max for Live product. I do not know whether that product is available as an add-on for the Launchpad Edition, but if I had to guess, I would be inclined to doubt it.

I suppose you can find out for sure by logging into your Ableton account and asking it what upgrades are available.
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm...

I'm asking here because I don't see an Ableton forum, but... I own Reaktor 5. Can I run a Reaktor 5 plugin within Live Launchpad edition? What about other Audio Unit plugins?

I'm trying to get a better understanding of the overall costs of adding the Live platform to my rig. I get the impression only the full version of Live (Live Cool can host plugins.

Some old stuff on VIRB
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LE - 7 Comparison Chart _ http://www.ableton.com/live-le-feature-comparison

Max4Live require Live 8 and Live 8 Intro is not supported.

Cheers

Andy
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also if you have LE then you can upgrade for free to Live Intro 8.

Chart - http://www.ableton.com/pages/live_8/comparison_chart/live_intro
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
LE - 7 Comparison Chart _ http://www.ableton.com/live-le-feature-comparison

Max4Live require Live 8 and Live 8 Intro is not supported.

Cheers

Andy

Thanks, Andy. I recall doing some homework on the Live and Max For Live pricing and finding that it was actually cheaper to buy a Launchpad, get Live Launchpad Edition with it, and then upgrade to Live 8, than it was to try to upgrade from my existing Max/MSP license just to get Max For Live.

I am not in the greatest hurry to do so, but my plan sometime this year is to acquire a Zeta violin and a Keith McMillen StringPort, which comes with a Max/MSP based software suite.

Some old stuff on VIRB
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm really interested in Launchpad, and just picked up MaxforLive to do a bunch of synchronization and custom sequencing. So, I'm excitied for my musical future Wink
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One of the best things about M4L is it allows you to easily get your own code into Live by using externals without writing AU or VST plugins.

This allowed me to write an external for sending/receiving midi over OSC to my Pacarana, this is then used in a M4L patch that you just drop into a instrument chain in Live, it works like a dream.

Have a look at http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-40604.html which has a link to a video showing what Jazzmutant are getting up to with M4L and the Lemur, very neat.
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Launchpad Edition supports up to 4 VST/AU instruments and 4 VSTAU effects. No external instruments or effects supported.

http://www.ableton.com/pages/2009/novation_launchpad_vs_live8

I don't know what Live would consider an "external instrument/effect".

So if I read this page right, I could run up to 4 Reaktor plugins in Launchpad Edition.

Some old stuff on VIRB
Roland Kuit

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 127

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi silver,
you can fill the whole ableton with reaktor stuff if you have enough dsp.
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

roland kuit wrote:
hi silver,
you can fill the whole ableton with reaktor stuff if you have enough dsp.

Sounds like fun!

I admit I only got Reaktor because it was on sale for $99 (Synthsgiving Sale)

Some old stuff on VIRB
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In a single Reaktor plugin you can run many instruments so the limit of 4 plugins wouldn't be too bad.

If you look in the user library for midi guitar you can see some stuff I did for converting instruments to work with 6 channel midi, might be useful for you.
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
In a single Reaktor plugin you can run many instruments so the limit of 4 plugins wouldn't be too bad.

If you look in the user library for midi guitar you can see some stuff I did for converting instruments to work with 6 channel midi, might be useful for you.

Thanks! I'll take a look.

One apparent problem I will be looking to solve is related to the KARMA feature of my Korg M3. KARMA has the ability to generate music based on holding down a chord on the keyboard. I think the events sent to KARMA from the keyboard to trigger this behavior is differed from the MIDI events sent to KARMA from the Roland VG-99 when I play a chord and sustain it the natural way (simply continuing to hold down the notes on the fingerboard).

I may have to remap some MIDI events.

Some old stuff on VIRB
Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » MAX/MSP - Pd
Jump to: