electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Little Tikes Pop Tunes Keyboard
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Little Tikes Pop Tunes Keyboard Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Anyone else bent/bending one of these?

I started one the other day and promptly killed it when one of my wires pull one of those nano-resistors off the board.

So far, I've only found the pitch bend. I know there's at least 2 glitchy/noisy bends in there somewhere, I can feel it. (And I've seen one of them in action in a video.)

I'll repost the pitch bend here for anyone interested. I'd love if anyone had other bends to share. Beyond output jack, led or volume stuff I mean.

Last edited by alienmeatsack on Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Pitch Bend Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is from my blog. Hope it helps someone to bend one of these little buggers.

Also, I've noticed that on the 4 units I played with (2 in store and the 2 I bought) that at least 1 of the "tunes buttons" didnt work. Not sure if its a problem I can fix, I didnt dig too deep for that part.

Quote:
My task tonight was to find a pitch bend. Luckily, this thing is overflowing with pitch bend points. Good news, they are easy to find, nearly every of the tiny resistors reacted when connected to the right other point. Problem, and it’s a minor one, is that they either go from normal to slow, or normal to fast. Problem easily solved by using 1 single point for the middle that triggers both fast and slow bends.

In this case, I used R01, R07 and R011. R01 is our “pivot man”, he goes to the middle post on the potentiometer. (I used a 500k one and it worked great!) Then, connect R07 to the left post on the pot, pot’s shaft pointing towards you. That’s the slow pitch line. And the fast pitch comes from R011, which goes on the right post on the pot. Combined you get a smooth transisition from slow to fast. Be wary that it crashes when it gets near the end on both sides of this, so it needs to be trimmed up. If you want to toggle it on/off, put your switch on the middle (between the pot and R01.)

At this point, you are good to go for a nice wicked pitch bend on the keyboard.

Be careful. The little tiny resistors come off VERY EASILY if the wire is moved and the soldering is stuck well. (Once your wire is in place, hot glue it or tape it!) I know this because it happened to me as I was getting the wires moved out of the way. Crap. I tried to fix it, but it’s so freaking tiny, just no way I can fix it. Bright side, the speaker is reusable as is the container. I already have some ideas for it.

alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Note... if you are a LED/lighting freak, these things are packed full of goodness. It comes stock with 9 LEDs of assorted colors under the semi-transparent dome on the top middle. They go nuts when it plays, making for a real nice light show.

This thing has plenty of room in the dome for all kinds of stuff including more LEDs, bigger and or brighter LEDs, or other light modules. Or you could externalize the LEDs, and use the dome for something else. I am considering doing all my LEDs in blue or white, and putting one in the middle of the dome for power.

alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I "finished" the bend last night on the replacement I got for the original keyboard pictured.

I have pics at home and forgot to upload them. But here's one:

I ended up going with the pitch bend I posted about earlier (and some hot glue to keep it from breaking off the resistors) and a voltage choke. The choke really works nicely. I'd like to fine tune it a bit however to get more control over the range. But, there's a spot where it's almost in lala land where it buzzed and gets all funky that sounds really nice.

The unit also puts out some hella deep rumbling bass when pitched down.

I had hoped to add a small amp or something to help give it some more umf, but I decided to close up and be done for the time being last night. There's quite a bit of room under the contents in the yellow portion to add some bits, just not much room left for switches and pots.

Oh, I also changed out the LEDs for blue ones. Wee.

telstarmagikistferrari

Audio files: 43

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just wanted to let you know that Folks are reading your thread! I love to hear about bends of all kinds, especially stuff that can be run across in a thrift store. I'll keep an eye out for one of these. Keep posting!

Marck Ferrari
alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks! I have lots more I have done and am working on. I mostly look for used/older stuff but this one was just too cool to pass on.

I am thinking about opening it back up. It's got some kind of issue with the power switch. While I'm in, I can add in an amp Very Happy

SamVsSound

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just picked up one of these guys at the thrift store, The power connection from battery got pulled out at some point but I would have had to cut it anyway to add my kill switch.

I'm interested in seeing if I can't convert the wheel used for power into a pot knob and remount the power somewhere else on the case. Also in love with the LED dome lol. Can't wait to get started

I'll let you guys know how things go Smile

SamVsSound

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've started playing around inside this keyboard and I must say I'm blown away by the bass on that pitch bend, great drones and rumble at the bottom end.

I also like that triggering different songs changes the tone of the keyboard. I wish I could find a way to access these other tones without the song playing though as it reverts once the song ends.

As far as the final song key, it seems this is actually intended to be a stop key, though this is in no way clear lol. it cuts off whatever tone or song is playing and returns the keyboard to standby.

I should have a post up on my blog showing mine off some time this week, I will credit you and link this post as your information was a great help getting me started

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't help you with this keyboard since I have no experience with it myself (I like the looks of it though),
but I noticed on your blog you also took apart a super concert so maybe this can be useful.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SamVsSound

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
I can't help you with this keyboard since I have no experience with it myself (I like the looks of it though),
but I noticed on your blog you also took apart a super concert so maybe this can be useful.

That looks awesome, thanks I'll definitely be trying some of these. My super concert was in rough shape so I scrapped it but I still have the cuts intact and have been thinking about building them into a noise box. These mods are great

Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Jump to: