electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Lunetta designs
Page 1 of 2 [34 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
akrearke

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Lunetta designs Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I post a lot if things here on electro music. Unfortunately, limited finances does not allow me to build most of the designs or finish them. However, I like to share... Here are my lunetta foils if anyone is interested. Most of them will be found on this site and others. The schematics are often included. as always they will have to be sized using the DIP pins. Thanks to everyone that provided the information. All remain untested...

LUNETTA COMPLE WAVEFORM GENERATOR.bmp
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  LUNETTA COMPLE WAVEFORM GENERATOR.bmp
 Filesize:  2.24 MB
 Downloaded:  2323 Time(s)

LUNETTA DUAL VCO ALPHA 3.bmp
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  LUNETTA DUAL VCO ALPHA 3.bmp
 Downloaded:  1941 Time(s)

LUNETTA CD40106 DUAL VCO.bmp
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  LUNETTA CD40106 DUAL VCO.bmp
 Downloaded:  1961 Time(s)

RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for sharing those akrearke...

bruce

"I want to make these sounds that go wooo-wooo-ah-woo-woo.”
(Herb Deutsch to Bob Moog ~1963)
electri-fire

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:47 am    Post subject:
Subject description: Some Lunetta modules on e-chuck boards
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some CMOS on Invertor's E-chucK boards.

E-chuck-Lunetta- 4040-12-bit-binary-counter.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  103.34 KB
 Viewed:  1127 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

E-chuck-Lunetta- 4040-12-bit-binary-counter.jpg

E-chuck-Lunetta- 4051 1-8 multiplexer.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  113.34 KB
 Viewed:  1086 Time(s)

E-chuck-Lunetta- 4051 1-8 multiplexer.jpg

E-chuck-Lunetta- empty-16-pin.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  74.4 KB
 Viewed:  704 Time(s)

E-chuck-Lunetta- empty-16-pin.jpg

Last edited by electri-fire on Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total
electri-fire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:35 am    Post subject:
Subject description: 4099 adressable latch

One more...

Why do i do this? Well, my breadboard is an unreliable old piece of junk, I need a new one. So I do some of the layout in advance in MsPaint, with parts of the datasheets as a reminder to self. Might as well post these.

Some more explanation: I prepare the boards with a socket, batterie header and bypass capacitor (upper left).

Ground lines are extended with the green lines at the back, so I have ground running underneath the IC, and left and right of the board to have plenty of room for timing caps and pulldown resistors.

I used pulldown resistors even for unused inputs to keep the option of using it later.

I hope this will be convenient to some of you.

E-chuck-Lunetta- 4099-adressable -latch.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  88.84 KB
 Viewed:  785 Time(s)

E-chuck-Lunetta- 4099-adressable -latch.jpg

Last edited by electri-fire on Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:43 am; edited 2 times in total
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

electri-fire, thanks for posting these! Its nice to see those boards getting some good use now.

Les

electri-fire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: 4031 64-state-shift-register
Subject description: 4031 64-state-shift-register corrected

Corrected.

Edit: corrected AGAIN. Hrmpff...

E-chuck-Lunetta-4031-64-state shift-reg.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  101.06 KB
 Viewed:  907 Time(s)

E-chuck-Lunetta-4031-64-state shift-reg.jpg

Last edited by electri-fire on Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:01 am; edited 2 times in total
droffset

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

These are great!

Edit: Spelling mistakes.
electri-fire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:40 am    Post subject: 4021 8-stage static shift register Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's all in the datasheets, not exactly rocket science. But ok, one more then.

E-chuck-Lunetta-4021.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  185.24 KB
 Viewed:  973 Time(s)

E-chuck-Lunetta-4021.jpg

E-chuck-Lunetta-4021 soldered.png
 Description:
This is what it looks like. Notice the painstakingly measured matching pulldown resistors :) . Two pulldowns had to share a hole in the upper left corner.
 Filesize:  2.45 MB
 Viewed:  644 Time(s)

E-chuck-Lunetta-4021 soldered.png

electri-fire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: 4031 updated Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had a pulldown on the 4031 drawing that shouldn't have been there. Please reload if applicable.
electri-fire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: 4017 divide by 3 or by 5

Some things are just too complicated or versatile. I've been making these little boards, selecting the most interesting IC's in my collection, but it's getting way too much. I need to preserve panel space.
This little 4017 board divides the input by 3 or five. Occupies one input, one output, one switch.

E-chuck-Lunetta- 4017-divide-by-3-or-5.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  124.75 KB
 Viewed:  684 Time(s)

E-chuck-Lunetta- 4017-divide-by-3-or-5.jpg

electri-fire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: 4042 Quad Latch Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, I discovered these in my collection. The 4042 Quad Latch. What's that you may ask. It has 4 inputs, 4 outputs, 4 inverted outputs.

And two Enable inputs. When both Enable pins are equal, both Hi or both Low the four inputs are passed to the outputs, as is, and inverted.

At the moment the Enable pins are NOT equal, the outputs are held.

With one Enable input fixed to ground (or +V), the other Enable input can function as a single Hold switch.
I laid out a little scheme with a manual Hold switch.

But hey, come to think of it, using both enable pins and the 4 data in pins would take six oscillators. Six oscillators from a 40106 hardwired to the 4042 might be an interesting little module to have.

Edit: E0 to Ground corrected. Now it is actually grounded.

E-chuck-Lunetta-4042-manual-S&H.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  553.07 KB
 Viewed:  829 Time(s)

E-chuck-Lunetta-4042-manual-S&H.png

4042B - Quadruple D-latch.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  4042B - Quadruple D-latch.pdf
 Filesize:  63.19 KB
 Downloaded:  1427 Time(s)

Last edited by electri-fire on Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
RF

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Electri-fire - You have become prodigious and beneficent!
Good stuff - Thanks for sharing!

bruce

electri-fire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: 4042 Quad Latch: More Crazy Ideas Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I should mention: I just made this up, but...

What if I added a R2R DAC (like Inventor used in his 4-Osc-Lunetta schem he posted) at the outputs of the 4042?
Then we would have a 4-bit Control Voltage available to power the 40106 oscillators. Result? Silence, as the 40106 has no power, so no oscillations....

Now have a momentary +V added to pin 16 of the 40106 to start the circuit. Oscillations start, and voltages are held at the (powered) 4042.
Now the 40106 is powered by the varying output of the 4042 R2R DAC.

Output frequency of the 40106 change with varying voltage, thus changing the patterns from the 4042. Those patterns will change the output frequency of the 40106. Next, .....

(electri-fire has just left the room. His manic laughter can be heard as he makes his way up the stairs.)

Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Way cool Mathe, I'm glad your getting good use out of those boards. I'll send you another ten soon as per your request. Keep on truckin'!

Les

jean bender

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi !!

Very intersting shares ! Thanks for letting us discovering your work !

Could you explain me how you determine pull down resistors values, and why do you use them ??
Thanks !

www.electroncanon.org
RF

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deadbeat wrote:

Could you explain me how you determine pull down resistors values, and why do you use them ??
Thanks !

Take a look here......
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-40754.html

bruce

jean bender

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

YEAH !!

Perfect, it's exactly what i needed !
thanks for all !

www.electroncanon.org
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, you see... this is IT!!! Hidden away among all the bum-fodder of this topic is some hands on stuff. This is EXACTLY what novices like myself need. Practical examples of what to actually make... what to solder where.

Eventually this elusive information will filter down from the secret society of the Kingdom of Lunetta into the lower caste masses...

Thanks everyone for sharing these designs! More of the same please anyone and everyone!
RF

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-minus- wrote:
...secret society of the Kingdom of Lunetta

That's how Mysterians roll! Smile
Ohm...

I won't speak for everyone - but for me there was a "concept" learning curve. Before mosc began talking about these -not that long ago - there were few sound samples, no drawings, and not much of a community to draw upon. The early posters in the Lunetta forum provided a few ideas to get started, and that's really all there was.

One thing I am amazed by, is the variety of directions people have taken these. Everyone has a unique twist on the way they use them and how they put them together. Very cool.

It's really a different way to think about making music instruments...
Build a few circuits on the breadboard, wire them together and it begins to become more clear..

bruce

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RF wrote:
-minus- wrote:
...secret society of the Kingdom of Lunetta

That's how Mysterians roll! Smile
Ohm...

I won't speak for everyone - but for me there was a "concept" learning curve. Before mosc began talking about these -not that long ago - there were few sound samples, no drawings, and not much of a community to draw upon. The early posters in the Lunetta forum provided a few ideas to get started, and that's really all there was.

One thing I am amazed by, is the variety of directions people have taken these. Everyone has a unique twist on the way they use them and how they put them together. Very cool.

It's really a different way to think about making music instruments...
Build a few circuits on the breadboard, wire them together and it begins to become more clear..

bruce

I agree on everything from Bruce, in my experiences here. Smile

As well - I see the Lunetta existance as well (myself specifically, I should limit) as a 'new' (old way found again) way of making music - in many regards, throwing away the restrictions that are and have been cast upon those of us who've had lessons, as well as others who aren't happy with popular radio; etc. (Many more angles to this.)

What has been growing from this, especially thanks to Howard and Stanley Lunetta - are the avenues opened to us to return, to this area and create things that please us.

/stepping down from pedestal, instead of continuing on for a world record attempt in speech giving Surprised Laughing

Dada
DGTom

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bum-fodder? elusive information? How much have you actually bothered to read? How much time have you bothered to spend messing with ICs on a breadboard?

For me the Lunetta spirit is experimentation & investigation - just wire the IC pins to connectors of some sort & get connecting... how is that arcane knowledge!?

Anyway;

some great ideas here electri-fire, I think it really proves you can make some great stuff with pretty much any chips you have on hand when you approach them in a creative / explorative way Very Happy
RF

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DGTom wrote:
bum-fodder? elusive information? How much have you actually bothered to read? How much time have you bothered to spend messing with ICs on a breadboard?

I nominate DGTom as Lune-Diplomat to the world.
Very Happy

electri-fire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Use of multiple in/out's with Mickey Mouse Logic LED's Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So I built these one-chip modules, and droffset asked me in the chatroom recently how I get these organized. I had to admit I had these on the lap, pots, wires and batteries dangling all over the place.
Inspired by droffset's latest build, I decided to go a similar route, building a No-Frontplate-Lunetta, that can host my CMOS modules and have some generic stuff hardwired on board.

I mentioned wanting multiple out's, wich I have indeed, and they are great fun.

This being the design section, not the Show-Your-Lunetta thread, here's an interesting observation. You may have heard of Mickey Mouse Logic:
http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth/mmlogic.html

I have a 40106 with 4 osc's, two of them hardwired to 4040's.
Playing around with LED's between random outputs (three of each) and picking of the sound from the LED's intermodulates the frequencies nicely. With multiple LED's, the sounds are different from each LED lead, but obviously rhythmically related. Nice for stereo. I'm starting to wonder why I'd even bother with this Gate stuff at all.

I will definitely add more output headers to accommodate interconnections with LED's. Maybe I best make an array of LED's near the in/out headers, some of my LED leads are too thick for the in/outputs, and having different color LED's is fun. Also my LED leads are bent all over the place now, and have to be forced in.

All LED's would need double (ah, make that triple) header in-out's to be able to send the sound to my mixer (a TL062, chosen for it's low power use).

This setup beats any rude words out of my CMOS Gate modules. It's fast and versatile, cheap, needs little space on the board, is easy to build, and could replace your fixed LED's.

electri-fire says: Recommendable.

PICT0144.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  682.56 KB
 Viewed:  516 Time(s)

PICT0144.JPG

droffset

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool that you're using the LEDs that way. So the 1 or 0 value at each side of the LED is doing its own gating? Pretty sweet.

Multiple outs is a good idea, I've had to splice together Y-splitter cables to get mults.

EDIT
Posting this image in this thread to show how I did the overall design for mine.
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Edit: Spelling mistakes.
electri-fire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

droffset wrote:
So the 1 or 0 value at each side of the LED is doing its own gating? Pretty sweet.

Exactly. All connections are made between outputs. I have 5 LED's in the posted picture with some leads sharing an output. So there's seven different sounds going on there. Doing this with gates takes two IC's at least.
I figured a bunch of patchable LED's might benefit from multiple in-out's but there's no need for that. As the LED leads are plugged into CMOS outputs I better make more of those.

Hmpff, I never seem to make up a layout and actually pursue finishing it as planned. I had already soldered part of a potmeter assembly consisting of 8 trimpots. These will have DIP switches to switch them in series. The wiper will have two inputs, straight, one through a resistor.
The idea is to have this configurable as single pots, adjustable R/xR DAC's, and whatever comes to mind later, probably disrupting any conceptions of what it should be able to do later :Wink: .

So between this row of trimpots I had room planned for three E-chuck-Lunetta boards, but that's not going to happen. My little mixer is screaming for more inputs. I had 8 Normally Open Momentary to +V, plus one "engage switch" planned, for use with a 4021 shift register and 4042 S&H module, but eventually wising up I'll refrain from soldering them up for now.

I think this will have to be a relatively low chipcount Lunetta.
Page 1 of 2 [34 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: