electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
Looptastic Producer
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Looptastic Producer
Subject description: One Palm Sound blog reader's #1 app pick
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I never heard of this live remixing app until it turned up as one Palm Sound reader's #1 pick:

http://the-palm-sound.blogspot.com/2010/03/jonathan-wolfs-top-ten-iphone-touch.html

It costs almost as much as Beatmaker, but appears to be more flexible for the intended use (live remixing), which is actually probably a better fit for me.

http://www.soundtrends.com/apps/looptastic_producer/

Some old stuff on VIRB
alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds interesting! I've not used either, but would love to try it.

I see they have several specialized apps that appear to be similar to Producer. Are they just loops from the genre named (hip hop, breakbeat etc) or a different app? I don't really see any comparison thing on their site.

Anyone use this app before? Got thoughts from a beginner user point of view?

Update... I realized I still had some credit from a gift card for the app store. So I took the plunge and bought this. I'd never tried any of their apps, so I am a newbie. Looks like you get the Electro and Progressive loops packs with it free, just have to DL them. The rest are $3.99 USD each (Hip Hop, DnB, Trance, Breakbeat, Minimal, Ambient, Reggaeton). Definitely will add up if you buy a few of those... Looptastic Producer 3 itself is $14.99 USD, then the packs of loops on top of that. But, if it works and you enjoy it, that's what's important. Heck, I've spent WAY more on stuff for music before. (I bought a microKORG on a whim once and I don't know squat about keyboard playing.)

What I'm stoked about is that I can import my loops. I just uploaded a dookie load of ReBirth loops to this forum yesterday that should work in it great. (Update, I've started putting the .loop files for these on the server. You'll find zip files with the loop files in the same folders as the loops themselves. Same location as before.) And I've got a ton of lofi loops from BBC that I could plug in as well.

Hope no one in the office needs me to do anything, I wanna play with it now.

Last edited by alienmeatsack on Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Already intrigued at the app and it's methods of getting your content in. For those interested, I will post some of the stuff I find that I think might be of interest to you.

Importing Loops
First off, it has a WiFi Transfer feature that essentially creates a web site on your iPhone/iPod. You enter the IP it gives you into your Mac/PC/Linux machine's web browser and a nice simple site comes up.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

From there you can upload loops (ogg, wav, aif) and edit/create/delete loop sets. (Wonder if it supports any aif loop info like BPM? hmm) It appears you are limited to 10 loops per loop set, you'll need to break it down into chunks if you have more than 10. At that point, you pick what kind of loop, give a description, point to a file, and then off you go.

Transfers seem quick and painless. When you start the import process, the iPhone/iPod reports the progress and then shows it is complete. From these screens, you can also export a loop set so you or others can import it as a whole. Exporting creates a single .loop file from that set. Very convenient! I will have to add the .loop files to my page of loops once I get them all done.

The software also supports Audio Paste, so you can paste from a large selection of audio apps on the iPhone. Doesn't seem to support technoBox, or the Voice Memo app but lots of others.

alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Organizing your loops is most definitely much easier from the web browser than on the iPhone/iPod. Being able to quickly type and mouse around makes it go smoothly. My big complaint is the 10 loop per loop set limit, but it's minor. I just have to break em down into smaller group.

I've noticed the smaller buttons at the top of the app's GUI seem to be "off" based on the location of the visual part and the actual part that registers your touch. If you aim at the bottom edge of the buttons, they work fine however.

I do wish the main home screen of the interface allowed you to use the whole screen for listing the loops. You are limited to about 1/2 of the screen on the right side. It causes all of the loops names to be cut off. Keep this in mind when naming your loop sets.

I can already see how addictive this is. And it feels very responsive. I think it would be fun to use live, feels like a "jam" app.

DOH! I am stooopid! It's RIGHT ON THE MAIN MENU! Very Happy I have no clue how to retrieve the stuff I've saved however. Just seems to start me with a new blank slate each time./DOH

Last edited by alienmeatsack on Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

alienmeatsack wrote:

Update... I realized I still had some credit from a gift card for the app store. So I took the plunge and bought this. I'd never tried any of their apps, so I am a newbie. Looks like you get the Electro and Progressive loops packs with it free, just have to DL them. The rest are $3.99 USD each (Hip Hop, DnB, Trance, Breakbeat, Minimal, Ambient, Reggaeton). Definitely will add up if you buy a few of those... Looptastic Producer 3 itself is $14.99 USD, then the packs of loops on top of that. But, if it works and you enjoy it, that's what's important. Heck, I've spent WAY more on stuff for music before. (I bought a microKORG on a whim once and I don't know squat about keyboard playing.)

What I'm stoked about is that I can import my loops. I just uploaded a dookie load of ReBirth loops to this forum yesterday that should work in it great. And I've got a ton of lofi loops from BBC that I could plug in as well.

Hope no one in the office needs me to do anything, I wanna play with it now.

Sounds like a good time!

I've been casually on the search for an app that would let me do live playback (with effects, control over volume levels, fades, etc.) of prerecorded stuff, so I can leave my small but soon to be growing collection of circuit bent toys and other noisemaking gear at home when playing live.

Some old stuff on VIRB
alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here are some shots of the interface I took.

Main Screen:
You can see here what I was talking about regarding the narrow content column on the right.

The More menu which contains the WiFi Transfer tool etc.:

The Wifi import screen that tells you were to point your browser:

The Main loop build interface with the left power/pause/save and tempo sections:

And the "help screen":

The effects screen. Very simple, just select an effect and touch and drag. Hit Hold if you want to keep it going, and use the 3 bars at the bottom to tell it which of the 3 zones get the effect.

alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GovernorSilver wrote:
Sounds like a good time!

I've been casually on the search for an app that would let me do live playback (with effects, control over volume levels, fades, etc.) of prerecorded stuff, so I can leave my small but soon to be growing collection of circuit bent toys and other noisemaking gear at home when playing live.

I don't know what the loop length limit is, but I don't see why you couldn't record some wicked good loops/samples and import them from your toys and use that to get crazy live too!

Im going to use it to play mostly, and will record it live to the computer to use later. I am a fan of those on-the-fly jam apps, knowing that whatever you created is pretty much a one time deal makes it exciting. You might get a great jam, might not. Never know.

alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's the current list of iPhone/iPoT apps that support AudioCopy/AudioPaste:
http://www.sonomawireworks.com/iphone/audiocopy/

Looptastic Producer would really shine if you used it in conjunction with some of these apps, like FourTrack, as you jammed/played live or whatever. Add in the drum machines to build tracks on the fly. Etc.

I'm curious what some of the other artists/peeps here think about this. I'm not a live music guy, but I'm always fascinated by what tools people use on the go.

alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When importing loops, it's important to set the type properly. The color and look of the little loop icon changes based on what you set here.

Also note that if you don't give it a name in the description form field, your item will appear in the loop list as blank as well. You can still load it and work with it however.

I've basically spent the day since I first posted I purchased it playing with it and sending more loops to my iPhone. It's quite addictive! I can't wait to get home and plug it into a proper system for actual frequency range!

alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There really isn't a manual for this thing, so I am learning as I go.

I just discovered that one of the options from the WiFi web interface is to Export your saved jams. It creates an AIF file of whatever you saved and downloads it to your computer from the phone.

This file is literally everything you did, all movements and motions, filters, loops, etc as you did them live. Pretty cool!

alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Note, if you spend 6 hours playing with this, your iPhone's batteries will give out. Very Happy

I got a ton of loops loaded on today and played and played and played. I can see this being quite useful for live stuff or just playing in general. I easily spent 3 or so hours just messing around and I don't think I had a single bit that sucked.

I need to figure out how long of a loop it can handle so I can get more variety and longer loops. I also need to invest some time into making some circuit bent loops and samples to use.

Way fun, thanks again GovernorSilver for the tip on this thing, it's amazingly fun!

GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You're welcome. This is indeed sounding more and more like the app of choice for me as the "putting it all together" app for live performance.

Some old stuff on VIRB
alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been digging thru all my loops and samples trying to find stuff to convert and upload into it. I got most of my old ReBirth stuff in, some of my old BBC One loops in (I wish they had those online still, they had some great loops there!).

Next I am going to break apart some of my more recent projects and add them to play/mix on the fly.

Until I get overloaded, bored, get everything loaded in that I have, or my phone stops working... anyway. Very Happy

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the great descriptions of your work with Looptastic Producer. Will you please post some music you made? I would love to hear it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So far, I've not really done anything that is worthy of listening to. I've mostly just played trying to get a feel for it. I am planning on doing some stuff this weekend... I want to try doing a song using just this app and loops I've created previously.

I will try and post something from my exploration then! Smile

alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am still enjoying LP! It's my goto app when I am siting bored at home and wanna jam.

I've taken some other project loops and put them in to do a kinda of megamix. It's pretty fun to jam out with.

And I am looking forward to the iPad one that's being shown now. Just iwsh mine was upgraded free to iPad capable. Looptastic HD.

Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
Jump to: