electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Test Equipment
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
textual

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Test Equipment
Subject description: what to get? etc...
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know this is not the best place to present this question, but there are obviously some Lunette forum goers that own some test equipment...

I am wondering about some examples of a decent or recommended oscilloscope and digital counter.
I am going to move into the world making a full modular synth and will need a counter and Oscope for calibrating VCO's etc..
Anyone recommend a decent one? Tektronix sounds popular.. for Oscopes but what about Mhz range etc..? what is sufficient for DIY synth etc...?
reasonable price range?
Same with counters...

Thanks!

www.textualmusic.com
www.mercuryprogram.com
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've used the frequency section of my Fluke 83 digital multimeter for testing frequencies, since about 1992. That's been wonderful for that. They're in the $400 price range, if I'm not mistaken but their accuracy is top notch. I believe the 80 series are up to Series III or Series IV by now.

For a scope - I'd go with an analog. 20 to 50mhz dual trace and you'll be laughin'. Smile They can be had for decent prices as well.
The Tek's are more expensive but downright sturdy.

If you don't have a DMM at the moment - don't cheap out. Get yourself a very good quality one. It'll last you for years, if treated properly. Smile
textual

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the info. Yeah i don't have a decent DMM yet so I will keep quality in mind.
www.textualmusic.com
www.mercuryprogram.com
droffset

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I borrowed an oscilloscope from a friend and don't want to give it back, I love it so much. It's not even a very expensive one(just one trace) but it comes in very handy because I'm a visual learner. Since one of the leads broke I haven't been able to use it for a couple of months and it's really bugging me.

my two cents!

Edit: Spelling mistakes.
textual

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rykhaard wrote:
I've used the frequency section of my Fluke 83 digital multimeter for testing frequencies, since about 1992. That's been wonderful for that. They're in the $400 price range, if I'm not mistaken but their accuracy is top notch. I believe the 80 series are up to Series III or Series IV by now.

For a scope - I'd go with an analog. 20 to 50mhz dual trace and you'll be laughin'. Smile They can be had for decent prices as well.

If you don't have a DMM at the moment - don't cheap out. Get yourself a very good quality one. It'll last you for years, if treated properly. Smile

What about a Fluke 8050A? not to be cheap, but there is one one eBay for $35ppd. in 'good working condition' should I chance it?

www.textualmusic.com
www.mercuryprogram.com
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

textual wrote:
Rykhaard wrote:

What about a Fluke 8050A? not to be cheap, but there is one one eBay for $35ppd. in 'good working condition' should I chance it?

That series of Flukes are very, very high accuracy! For that cheap - if it is working properly, you could take it in to have it re-calibrated (to ensure top most accuracy) for ... the last price that I heard for, about 1 1/2 years ago up here in Canada was $126 Cdn. / U.S.

It could also be an extra digit of display ... I just checked it's manual, yes - 4 1/2 digit display.

These are not, cheap meters, especially. Surprised Smile
textual

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That series of Flukes are very, very high accuracy! For that cheap - if it is working properly, you could take it in to have it re-calibrated (to ensure top most accuracy) for ... the last price that I heard for, about 1 1/2 years ago up here in Canada was $126 Cdn. / U.S.

It could also be an extra digit of display ... I just checked it's manual, yes - 4 1/2 digit display.

These are not, cheap meters, especially. Surprised Smile[/quote]

Welll looks like someone reading these may have snatched that one up... well there are others.. so at least I know what to start looking for..

Thanks for your help Rich..

www.textualmusic.com
www.mercuryprogram.com
the architech

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm realizing more and more how much I need an oscilloscope. I've been putting them off because they can be a bit pricey, but also because I don't really understand them at all. Rykhaard suggested 20-50MHz, but why? What's the difference? And why analog? Seems like there's way more digital oscopes on the market than analog.

Based on those suggestions though, is this a good place to start?
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_685311_-1

Edit:
Oh and an office friend of mine just dropped off an old oscilloscope he had laying around gathering dust. Said I could have it if I could use it, but it's an old BK Precision 10MHz model 1466 with no probes or clips. Is it worth it to buy probes and calibrate it or should I just get a new one?
textual

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the architech wrote:
I'm realizing more and more how much I need an oscilloscope. I've been putting them off because they can be a bit pricey, but also because I don't really understand them at all. Rykhaard suggested 20-50MHz, but why? What's the difference? And why analog? Seems like there's way more digital oscopes on the market than analog.

Edit:
Oh and an office friend of mine just dropped off an old oscilloscope he had laying around gathering dust. Said I could have it if I could use it, but it's an old BK Precision 10MHz model 1466 with no probes or clips. Is it worth it to buy probes and calibrate it or should I just get a new one?

That one from Jameco is way too much $ and more than you would need, I have a 20mHz scope and that is within the range of audio, which is all most synth DIYers would likely need. I got mine off eBay for $40 from an old high school through some power seller. It was a chance taken, but it works fine and is simple.

www.textualmusic.com
www.mercuryprogram.com
tjookum

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

Edit:

Well, what have you build and what are you planning to build? Do you need 1v/oct/hz/crap nonsense calibration or you just want to see the waveforms your lunetta makes?

I would love to own a oscilloscope myself, but I just think it's money I could much better spend on parts. For a quick check I just record a 10 second sample in audicity or live and zoom in really close.

noise
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you just want to muck around making 'cool noise', you probably don't need a scope. You can find various online ones you could use. If you do get an oscilloscope and want to know how to use it correctly, I highly recommend these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/BTCInstrumentation#p/search/9/0dmxjXDa_vA
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: