electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Commentary and Editorials
Cubase.net not for Hotmail users!
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
merman_93

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Cubase.net not for Hotmail users! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This Thursday, the "Official" Steinberg forum, cubase.net went back on-line, after a brief overhaul. What P'd me off was my inability to re-register/register,(considering that I've spent in excess of $1,000 since November on Steinberg products-mostly directly from Steinberg.net) because of their discrimination of Hotmail.com users. Effective immediately, members using a hotmail.com address will not be registered! Luckily, I have a secondary account through my ISP that I have never EVER used, I dug through stacks of manuals, etc, and found my info so that I could utilize the "official" forum for the products that I have spent my hard earned duckets on. Does this sound appropriate? I read the thread on fake posts here but really! What's next?
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, fake posts and all sorts of schemes involving hotmail accounts are so problematic for many boards and mail server admins that some admins do choose to ban all things hotmail.
Certain ISP ip-ranges in countries like Australia, New Zealand and Korea are also being banned and black holed. I don´t know what has hit Steinberg.net in the past, but when something insanely bad happens you have very little left in your arsenal except simply banning domains and ip ranges.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

merman_93 wrote:
Does this sound appropriate? I read the thread on fake posts here but really! What's next?

Well, it all depeneds on who is really responsible for this decision. There are ways to handle verification of email addies etc etc.. so this seems like some sort of quick fix in the fog of war rather than a sensible business decision by Steinberg.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
merman_93

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Since I am only a member, and not a Moderator/Administrator, I feel I can only know half the problem. I was really P'D about the whole situation. I'm trying to understand and be reasonable. I mean,... I know how I feel when my computer gets hit with a virus, and I get furious! So I know it must be a hundred times that for an Admin/Mon! I have compassion, it just takes a while to understand the other guy. I just hope the powers to be at Steinberg/Yamaha listen for the end of the tape, as there can be a lot of repercussions for these kind of decisions. There are a lot of legit users of Hotmail who also are legit owners of Steinberg product. I'm lucky, I am registered now, as I had an alternate account.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

merman_93 wrote:
I was really P'D about the whole situation. I'm trying to understand and be reasonable. I mean,... I know how I feel when my computer gets hit with a virus, and I get furious!

You have a good reason for being pissed about this. I guess the decision to kill the hotmail domain was probably taken based on some near disaster situation .. or by some boss seeing that the time spent by the admins on issues like .... hotmail addie spoofing.. was way over budget.. Realistically, most businesses never take into consideration what admin work is really about.. and this often leads to extremely silly situations where admins are being cuffed by the company bosses when time has been spent on tasks related to security and intrusion issues. I can imagine a meeting where the site admins are trying trying explain what all this overtime has been about. then a boss asks "How can we prevent this in the future" and some guy says.. "well.. we could ban hotmail.com... but that is not advisable.." and the boss sez: "i don´t care.. do it or YOU will get fired.."

All things considered, actually BANNING hotmail users is going a bit too far.. Personally I would call this unacceptable. Steinberg is known to be pretty reasonable about most things, and I am pretty sure that the right persons in the sales/marketing division should be made aware of this. Being rude to legit product users isn´t really that productive these days.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

merman_93, thanks for your expression of compassion for site admins and moderators. I for one appreciate that thought.

I think you are absolutely right to be PO'd about this. Banning entier domains isn't necessary, in my opinion. It's a sign of incompetence. Hotmail is one of the biggest email providers in the world. It's owned by Microsoft. Banning that domain is like banning Europe or something.

If there are Cubase users who are interested, we can start a forum here. It would be free from entanglements with the company, something the Nord Modular users have long appreciated (the Clavia company too).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great idea!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I second the cubase forum. I first went to the official cubase forums for the first time a month or so ago...it loaded at a hellish slow pace (there were a few threads about that), so at least that is fixed with the site revision. What irked me more than that is the community pretty much ignored my questions about the software, not so much as a trouble shoot sugestion.

I have used cubase since VST 5, but I use SX2 instead of SX3. does anyone here have or use sx3?
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just installed a new forum for Cubase under Instruments and Equipment. Zynthetix volunteered off-line to be the moderator. Thanks, Zynth. I encourage everyone to get the word out to the Cubase user community that this alternative user forum is available.

Zynth, maybe you can send me a PM with any file type extensions that Cubase might require for attachements.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
merman_93

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds Great!
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Commentary and Editorials
Jump to: