electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Favorite Electronic Albums or Artists?
Page 2 of 3 [58 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What does "through-composed" mean?
arcticranger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:22 am    Post subject: through composed Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
What does "through-composed" mean?

I abused the term, it really means a piece of music without any significant repetition. I meant anything in the written classical tradition: Bartok, Stravinsky, Barber, etc. Best to wiki it because everyone uses it differently.

But I still love My Sex and Hiroshima Mon Amour by John Foxx! If you like Foxx you might want to check out 'New Machine' by Tuxedomoon, also 'Russia' by Elisa Waut. Classic minimalist electronic.
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've got the Desire/No Tears CD by Tuxedomoon, I've loved most of those tracks since the mid 80s. Often thought about checking out some other Tuxedomoon CDs, but haven't yet. More Residents would be a good addition too.
There's very little music I like which doesn't repeat part of the theme at least once. Have you heard "I like repetetive music" by Regurgitator?

kkissinger

Audio files: 42

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Through-composed doesn't necessarily mean that there is no repetition.

A through-composed work does not repeat sections but can certainly repeat themes and motives.

Thus, a minimalist work that repeats a theme and varies the theme over time would be a form of through-composition.

arcticranger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Tuxedomoon Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would not chase down any more Tuxedomoon, that EP was their best. I lost interest in the Residents after Eskimo. A few other good things.

Felt Mountain - Goldfrapp before they went commercial
Subliminal Sandwich - Meat Beat Manifesto
Kesto - 4-CD set by minimal electronic duo Pan Sonic

and if you want the twilight zone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEYWGQMqC74

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRapJ5CvB_U
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Felt Mountain is very good. Reminds me a bit of Portishead, which are also great.
At the moment I'm getting into an Australian band called the Presets. They're a bit more doof doof than most of my favourites, but I'm quite happy as long there are some original sounds and strong melodies.

bladerunner

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the very first album that really made me want to write music was jarre's oxygene. i first heard it when i was about 12 (in 1988) and even when i play it today it still sounds as fresh and i still hear new things. kraftwerks electric cafe also had a big impact upon me around the same time although strangely, i am not quite so fond of it now.

since that time my favourite is probably autechre. for me, they really are in a different place from everyone else. i can't even begin to fathom how they design sound, write and compose. i love all of their albums and ep's although standouts would be:

amber lp
garbage ep
confield lp
quadrange ep
oversteps lp

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
For me it would be Metamatic - John Foxx. It has an inspiring and original feel which has stayed as fresh as the first time I heard it. (1981)

Followed closely by The Pleasure Principle - Gary Numan. Very clean layers of early analogue synths, plus real bass, drums, and violin.

Kraftwerk, Eno, Bill Nelson, Cocteau Twins, Simple Minds, etc. are all favourites too.

i love metamatic although i came quite late to it - probably around 1997 was the first time i listened to it properly. it was always being played at my friends house when i was around 6 - 8 years old so i did have some buried memories of it when i came to listen to it properly. bill nelson is a firm favourite too - sounding the ritual echo is an underrated album imo.
ThinAir

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ligeti http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligeti
Karlheinz Stockhausen
Charles Ives
J.S. Bach
Shpongle
Grateful Dead (live concerts)
Steve Reich

Electronic music is still music. Electronics is only the latest in centuries of technology change that has spawned new ideas for music, starting with the pipe organ. [/url]

www.DelicateMonster.com
Ojd

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tuxedomoon's discography is varied, but I absolutely recommend Ghost Sonata.

Also Coil. Strange no one mentioned them. How to destroy angels (1992) is the best minimalistic piece i've ever listened to (new Trent Reznor's group named after this piece). Probably there's no other artist with such varied discography (compare Dark age of love and tunnel of goats).

Harmonia (74-76)- probably with Autobahn, and Kraftwerk 1 the best music (electronic) you'll ever get. Listening to these makes me think that all of the progress, midi, DAWs just fuzzed things up. Its about simplicity.

NEU! Of course its NEU!, NEU!2 and NEU!75.

DAF, Front 242. Especially 242. Geography (1981). When i listen to it i think "how they did it?". I really dig No comment and Tyranny for you. Always intelligent. This is what postmodern is about.

Cabaret Voltaire. Well, THE godfathers. I love their late 70 - early 80 period, with titles like "Walls of Jericho", 2X45, Red Mecca, Crackdown, Microphonies. But in late 80ies became more of a minimal techno/acid house. Still my favorites
abstraktor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I saw Michael Rother a few weeks ago at his Hallogallo Neu tribute gig and I have to say that my initial worries were groundless because the trio were great! They played a Harmonia track as well (i think the synths came from his laptop though). I agree with Ojd about the early Cabs as well. There's also one side of a Leer & Rental LP (The Bridge) which is incredible industrial ambient music from 1978! Let's not forget TG's 20 Jazz funk greats either-almost the opposite of the JMJ type style popular at the time.
Winterbound

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just a few of my favourite tracks and artists.

Steve Roach - The View from here
Robert Rich - Starmaker
Kraftwerk - Spacelab
Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygen series.
Lustmord - Trinity
Paul Mounsey - North
Tangerine Dream - Reset

As for inspiration, well I get that from just about anywhere and anything.
YashN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jarre: Oxygene, Equinoxe, Les Chants Magnétiques, Rendez-Vous, ZooLook
Kraftwerk: The Man Machine
Depeche Mode: Speak and Spell, A Broken Frame, Construction Time Again, Some Great Reward
Yaz(oo): Upstairs at Eric's, You and Me Both
Erasure: Wonderland, The Circus, Chorus
The Human League: Travelogue
Tears For Fears: The Hurting, Songs from the Big Chair
New Order: Substance
Eurythmics: (Love is a stranger, Here comes the rain again)
Gary Numan: Early works
Sandra (Michael Cretu): early works
Kim Wilde
Information Society
Mylène Farmer (Laurent Boutonnat)
YashN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Tuxedomoon Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's hard to beat "Black Cherry" by Goldfrapp.

arcticranger wrote:
I would not chase down any more Tuxedomoon, that EP was their best. I lost interest in the Residents after Eskimo. A few other good things.

Felt Mountain - Goldfrapp before they went commercial
tlu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FAVORITE ARTIST: Hans-Joachim Roedelius

Born 1934 - still touring.
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tlu wrote:
FAVORITE ARTIST: Hans-Joachim Roedelius

Born 1934 - still touring.

+1

If I made a list he would be in there as well. I don't think I've caught that much of his work actually, but I adore the albums Lustwandel and Geschenk des Augenblicks.

-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ojd wrote:
Also Coil. Strange no one mentioned them.

Yes, well... someone has good taste around here! Laughing I was just wandering around the seldom traversed regions of E-M and found this. As I was reading the usual to be expected influences... I was just about to mention Coil, when I realised it already has been mentioned! Shocked The live in Moscow concert you can find on youtube is worth watching. Another good live album is ...And The Ambulance Died In His Arms.

You can never have too much Coil. Shame they are no more Crying or Very sad
gr00veh0lmes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So i take it Aphex Twin is passé on this board?

First heard him on John peel back in 1991 i think. It was a remix of a curve track. I just thought it sounded weird, but then i came across his ambient works 85 -92 and i was just totally blown away.

I still listen to it to this day.

Mind you when i heard 24 track loop by This Heat.

Wow
YashN

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just only started exploring Roach, Rich and especially Terry Riley.

Riley is totally mystical and makes beautiful music with simple, sometimes acoustic sounds, but overall it sounds electronic.

Winterbound wrote:

Steve Roach - The View from here
Robert Rich - Starmaker
abstraktor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gr00veh0lmes wrote:
So i take it Aphex Twin is passé on this board?

First heard him on John peel back in 1991 i think. It was a remix of a curve track. I just thought it sounded weird, but then i came across his ambient works 85 -92 and i was just totally blown away.

I still listen to it to this day.

Mind you when i heard 24 track loop by This Heat.

Wow

yeah -the 1st This Heat album is something else. I have a magazine somewhere from 1978, when they talk about how they did 24 track tape loop in the studio.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My old friend (I haven't seen him for yonks), Tony Child aka Surgeon released his latest LP this year after a break of 11 years away from making techno.

"Breaking the frame" was released in June 2011, and what I've heard so far, it's really rather good (especially if you like experimental techno, I noticed Richard Aphex James mentioned just back).

Some links for listening here;

http://www.discogs.com/Surgeon-Breaking-The-Frame/master/340635

I heard Morton Feldman's 'Coptic Light' the other day. Although it's orchestral it would appeal to anyone into experimental electronic music Smile Brilliant stuff.

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

YashN wrote:

Riley is totally mystical and makes beautiful music with simple, sometimes acoustic sounds, but overall it sounds electronic.

You should definitely listen to Feldman's Coptic Light! Very Happy

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
capitan mission

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My favorites, mmm something like:

Stockhausen: Edition 3, Electronische Musik
Kraftwerk: Trans Europa Express
Delia Derbyshire & White Noise: An electric storm
Neu!: Neu!
Early Popol Vuh records
Aphex Twin: Drukqs
Boards of Canada: Music has the right to the children

A. Lincoln

My music: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Capitan-Mission/124520374261493
http://www.soundcloud.com/capitan-mission
onewayness

Audio files: 19

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

capitan mission wrote:
Early Popol Vuh records

Yes. These. Smile

adam / onewayness
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

onewayness wrote:
capitan mission wrote:
Early Popol Vuh records

Yes. These. Smile

adam / onewayness

Just give me the first two, scrap the 3rd! Laughing Very Happy

YashN

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmmm, I did by finding tracks on Youtube. Feldman sounds nothing like Riley at all. Where Riley is mystical, trancey, harmonious, melodious, raga-like and surprising, Coptic Light by Feldman is chaotic.

Riley: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVc2tJUjeZU
Feldman: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKuGhfN3Cgc&feature=related

Riley any day instead of Feldman for me.

v-un-v wrote:
YashN wrote:

You should definitely listen to Feldman's Coptic Light! Very Happy
Page 2 of 3 [58 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: