electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
A new circuit from me, with video ...
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject:  A new circuit from me, with video ...
Subject description: The Atari JAZZ Console?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The subject is a tentative name for this new unit, but I thought it would do, for now. Smile

Earlier today, I took my CD4023 Pulse Width Oscillator that I had designed and posted info. here of, earlier last year - and applied it to the Atari Punk Console idea.

The circuit consists of 3 'oscillators', built around 1/3rd of a 4023 and 1/6th of a 40106 each.
Each of the 3 oscillators outputs are modulating the other 2 oscillators.

My V1.00 alpha build will consist of, for EACH of the 3 oscillators:
- a frequency control
- a switch to make that oscillator, oscillate by itself, or, be modulated by the other 2 oscillators
- a switch to take the oscillator output from before, or after it's capacitor. (Widely different harmonics, from each of the 2 output choices)

All 3 of the oscillators are currently summed into an inverting opamp. The boxed unit will have the output going through a 1uF bipolar cap and then, into an LM386 amp, driving a small speaker.
I'll also have at least 1 line level output. (I were debating a pair of stereo outs earlier.)

Once I have the V1.00 alpha unit built, I'll begin considering other options for it.

Also please note - except for my voice at the beginning, the sounds are VERY quiet. They didn't pick up well enough, on my camera.

Also, the frequencies are mostly quite low in pitch. When I do the next video (of a PCB build) I'll use slightly smaller capacitor values, to reach a somewhat higher set of frequencies.

I hope you enjoy it. Smile

I'm open to all questions; constructive criticisms; suggestions; etc.

[url][/url][/url]
andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cheers

your design sounds good tho a bit hard to hear it.
love the video.....its like ren&stimpy in bed with bob moog, directed by john waters
alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, pretty hard to hear the actual device. But your intro was worth the price of admission alone. Very Happy
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hahaha! Great that the intro were appreciated! Very Happy Thankee. There WILL be at least 1 more vid of it, going up - WITH the volume higher. Sorry about that. Sad
I'm JUST headed downstairs to the shop now, to try out some upgrades I came up with for it, today at work. Surprised Smile
slugger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool stuff! Also makes me happy to see your workbench isn't much more organized than my own. Smile
DrJustice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's an excellent piece of performance art! There are way too few theatrical synth demos out there Very Happy

DJ
--
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrJustice wrote:
That's an excellent piece of performance art! There are way too few theatrical synth demos out there Very Happy

DJ
--

Thankee greatly for further encouragement at ... just being myself! Very Happy THe next vid. will prolly be another Liquid HiHat 2, as I've just finished cooking the PCB for it's dual VCLFO. If I have that hooked up and running tonight, I'll shoot / post the vid. then. If there's troubles, then more'n likely tomorrow evening.
machine.cuisine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What are the odds of some rudimentary CV pitch control?
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

machine.cuisine wrote:
What are the odds of some rudimentary CV pitch control?

Wink Testing is already underway for the 'full blown' version. On the breadboard I have the voltage controlled 40106 ready, working and standing by, waiting to be applied to the unit that's on the video. If it works as I expect it should, each of the 3 'voices', will have their own LFO, as well as an external CV input to each of them.

I was going to test it tonight, but instead moved back, to getting the VCLFOs done for the Liquid HiHat. (PCB is currently being assembled.)

More news on both ... within a day or 2. Smile

Oh - whilst I think of it - if the LFO / etc. is successful with the Jazz Console, there will be 2 versions:

1) Atari Jazz Console as seen on the video (with higher pitch, capabilities, than shown)
2) The Deathlehem Drone Dimentia (full blown, bells and whistles .... and drones. Laughing )
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Jump to: