electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » News... » Gear News
Turn Your ReMote Audio Into A K Station
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: Turn Your ReMote Audio Into A K Station Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.novationmusic.com/nov_route/docs/front/front2.htm
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
in a fit of generous innovation, Novation have announced that their ReMote Audio, the MIDI controller and USB audio interface can be turned into a K Station, all with a simple free firmware download.

That’s right, from mid December, you'll be able to turn the ReMote Audio into a hardware synth in it’s own right, with the added advantage of being USB or battery powered. The best news of all is that it is FREE! With this additional and very powerful feature, Novation have decided upon a slight name change and are calling this unit the ReMote Audio Extreme.

according to http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=1252

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BTW: the K-Station is cool. They have that rack version for sale in the UK now for 299 pounds.
SayersWeb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've still not heard the k-station. I'd like to see if it sounds very different from my Nova.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The K is different.. not quite the same as the nova boxes.. but... I would not say it is a lesser product. Far from it! Try to get your hands on one. It is what I would call cute!

Shocked

I need a life! Shocked
SayersWeb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
The K is different.. not quite the same as the nova boxes.. but... I would not say it is a lesser product. Far from it! Try to get your hands on one. It is what I would call cute!

Shocked

I need a life! Shocked
LOL!!!!
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But you might wanna catch the confusing thread about the Steinberg Hypersonic. THis seems like an interesting product suitable for your music. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Kinda turns your mac or pc into a music workstation like those Korg and Roland and Yamaha thingies.. and then some.
SayersWeb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
But you might wanna catch the confusing thread about the Steinberg Hypersonic. THis seems like an interesting product suitable for your music. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Kinda turns your mac or pc into a music workstation like those Korg and Roland and Yamaha thingies.. and then some.
Wow! It looks very comprehensive!

I just can't get into the softsynths yet. Too much left to explore on my hardware synths. Maybe one day I will be able to sell all of my gear and go virtual... Shocked

egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't do it!
SayersWeb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

egw wrote:
Don't do it!
The ease of use of going 100% software is tempting for sure.... but I love the hardware interface on synths.
egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ease of use?
What do you do when trying to run software A and software B at the same time prevents software C from working, or crashes your system?
What do you do when you want to run software D that only runs on OS version X, but you're still using software E that requires OS version Y?
etc.

Ease of use = you turn it on and hit a key - sound comes out!
egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK I'm a luddite!
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, so you are a luddite.. Very Happy

Softsynths are cool. But of course, they have their restrictions too. I am a big fan of dedicated hardware too. But these things are all just instruments. A softsynth might be nasty to use on stage.. so.. but then again a Yamaha CS 80 is madness to bring on a tour. I will quote Bill on the "YMMV" thingie. I guess we all are attempting to find rigs and setups which does the work. I do not hate the CS80 even though it has it quirks.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

egw wrote:
Don't do it!

Wow! I've known Greg for well over a year. This is the most agressive statement I've heard from him. Strong emotion here, if you didn't notice. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I know only one guy who has sold off most of the hardware instruments and gear.. and that is Brian Wiliams. I am pretty sure he knew what he did. On the other hand I do not think "selling all the gear and use softsynths instead" is much of a valid option for any of us. So in that respect I agree with Greg 200%. Do not do it! Very Happy Shocked
egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Wow! I've known Greg for well over a year. This is the most agressive statement I've heard from him. Strong emotion here, if you didn't notice. Laughing

You didn't see my reaction when one of my band-mates in Fringe Element suggested we perform with pre-recorded material!
SayersWeb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

egw wrote:
Ease of use?
What do you do when trying to run software A and software B at the same time prevents software C from working, or crashes your system?
What do you do when you want to run software D that only runs on OS version X, but you're still using software E that requires OS version Y?
etc.

Ease of use = you turn it on and hit a key - sound comes out!
LOL! Well... maybe it is a good thing that I have a PC in the studio! Wink

I played around with some softsynths in Cubase SX and the nice thing is that everything gets saved as a nice tidy package and is ready to go when you open the file the next time.

I work in a very archaic manner.... build up entire works in midi and then record to my PC hard drive in one go. No multi-tracking of audio. It's the only way I know how to create music. But, trying to save and then recall the studio setup for a particular song is a nightmare. Typically I end up working on one thing at a time and once it is finished I never go back. So, the nice clean package of softsynth only is a huge step forward in solving this problem.

But, I still don't find the softsynth sound to hold up against the hardware. And there is something to be said about creativity using a dedicated hardware interface. That is why I have the P3 sequencer on order.

Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » News... » Gear News
Jump to: