electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » electro-music.com » electro-music 2010
electro-music 2010
Page 2 of 3 [57 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, you will be able to buy food, a ticket, and no lodging.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

Awesome Howard, thanks Cool

Bill
laura woodswalker

Audio files: 18

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

Hi!!

Like everyone else, I'm thrilled that you found a great place! Thanks for all your hard work.

As always, I'm looking for rideshare/carpool from the Philly/Valley forge area, as it is pretty far.

If there are any ticket packages where you don't have to buy all the meals, that would be great too, 'cause I'm a pretty light eater, and last time I ate way more than I should have.

And my final question is about performing. Last time I was there, some nice person asked if I was going to perform. I'm not a seasoned performer, I'm on the 'learning curve' as you all know. Maybe there could be an 'open mic' slot for those who don't want to call it a "Real Performance"? Is there room for newbies or is there already too much competition for stage time? Laughing

Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If I go, and I'm going to try my best to do so, I'm thinking of doing a workshop. The topic would be Karplus Strong boards and / or Breadboarding Lunettas. Anyone care to comment on such a possibility?

Les

electri-fire

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
I'm thinking of doing a workshop. The topic would be Karplus Strong boards and / or Breadboarding Lunettas. Anyone care to comment on such a possibility?

I've still to finalize my decision to come, but I'd be attending your workshop, bringing my new Lunetta, the KS-boards you built me, and part of my CMOS collection to augment the fun.
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

electri-fire wrote:
Inventor wrote:
I'm thinking of doing a workshop. The topic would be Karplus Strong boards and / or Breadboarding Lunettas. Anyone care to comment on such a possibility?

I've still to finalize my decision to come, but I'd be attending your workshop, bringing my new Lunetta, the KS-boards you built me, and part of my CMOS collection to augment the fun.

Yes, Mathe, I plan to have a few of my own KS boards for doing a performance, maybe we can do a big KS performance together?

Les

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

laura woodswalker wrote:

And my final question is about performing. Last time I was there, some nice person asked if I was going to perform. I'm not a seasoned performer, I'm on the 'learning curve' as you all know. Maybe there could be an 'open mic' slot for those who don't want to call it a "Real Performance"? Is there room for newbies or is there already too much competition for stage time? Laughing

Everyone is welcome to perform if we have time. An open mic type thing is a great idea, but with electronic music the set up time is usually a lot longer than is typical for a singer/guitar.

So I suggest to you, and anyone else who feels in the same boat, to submit a request to perform, but indicate you are a beginner. Perhaps the best thing is not go for a long time period. I suggest a 15 minute set instead of 30 or 45. It's much easier to manage. If we get enough self-identified beginners, we might be able to set up a special stage, or maybe we can set up special hours in the jam room for beginners, maybe with experienced people guiding things along - almost like workshops or something.

We've done these things for more than five years now. I've heard people progress from beginners to polished performers during this interval. For me it is the most gratifying aspect of electro-music festivals. Everyone says their music gets better from attending these events - everyone.

Please keep the comments and suggestions coming.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kkissinger

Audio files: 42

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One solution would be to combine the setup and takedown for three or four performers who each perform for a portion of the time.

At the Kansas City electro-music festival, we did just that -- everyone set up on stage ahead of time and each had a couple of strips on the house mixer (most people fed the house mixer from their own on-stage mixers).

This might be a good way to accommodate people who would like to play shorter sets.

electri-fire

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

droffset wrote:
I would already be in the air for four days total, longer than the actual event. Smile But I'm really tempted and negotiating with my wife!

I just ordered the full monty, three days of music, technology, meeting all you interesting forum members.
Totally worth the jetlag. But oh my god, 4 days of travel!
I would be fun to interconnect our Lunetta's. Tell the wife I said you should come...
Ganzha

Audio files: 27

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Great!
Subject description: my opinion
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That is great! I would participate!!!!
laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="mosc"]
laura woodswalker wrote:

Everyone is welcome to perform if we have time. An open mic type thing is a great idea, but with electronic music the set up time is usually a lot longer than is typical for a singer/guitar.

So I suggest to you, and anyone else who feels in the same boat, to submit a request to perform, but indicate you are a beginner. If we get enough self-identified beginners, we might be able to set up a special stage, or maybe we can set up special hours in the jam room for beginners, maybe with experienced people guiding things along - almost like workshops or something.

Please keep the comments and suggestions coming.

Thanks for the very cool response! I especially like the Jam Room for Beginners idea! A 'workshop' is something I very much wanted to see last time. There is so much to learn, and so few to teach!

I like to jam, but I'm *terrified" of "performing" for some reason. (I've played on stage as a Star Banjo player, so go figure.) I think it's just the idea of a "solo" performance....

I wonder if there *Are* any other self identified beginners reading this forum?

laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

I couldn't find a listed price or 'add to cart' option for the no lodging/no food option. Will they be posted later?

I'm not sure if $300 is in my budget, so I'm looking for possible cheapskate ways to go. Laughing

egw
Stream Operator

G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can pay at the door for the no lodging / no food option. It will be $30 per day.
kkissinger

Audio files: 42

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

laura woodswalker wrote:
I'm *terrified" of "performing"

So am I. Feel the fear and do it anyway.

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
laura woodswalker wrote:
I'm *terrified" of "performing"

So am I. Feel the fear and do it anyway.

Well, the folks that attend EM festivals, and generally in many venues IMOP, are a very accepting crowd with open minds so don't ever feel that your audience may be critical of your performance. Your there to share your art and you will generally be respected just for going up there and sharing that.

Also, if you make a mistake, folks rarely ever recognize that so if your performance does not go as planned (it generally does not) don't let anyone know about it and enjoy the applause. Wink

My advice: Bare the discomfort of performing and comfort will come. Enjoy and have fun.

Bill
emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My experience with performing:

* EVERYONE is uneasy with it at first, even professionals.
* You will never overcome the fear unless you confront it head on and just do it.
* Give yourself permission to fail and you will become a better performer, because those who truly achieve aren't' the ones with raw "natural" talent, but rather those who push themselves beyond their current ability and learn from it.
* Even though everyone's uneasy with performance, once you're actually performing, the uneasiness will go away.
* Almost every mistake you make while performing will go totally unnoticed by the audience. Really. Audiences as a rule are WAY more forgiving of your performance than you are. Sometimes even horrid mistakes that totally dishevel the performer will seem intentional to the audience.

...Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it this year. This is the first year I became aware of the event, but it's during my anniversary and my wife and I haven't really had a good "just for the 2 of us" vacation since Sept 2008, so it'll have to be beach vacation instead of music stuff. I like to think I'll have my gear built and practiced on enough to actually perform in 2011 (you know, before the world ends as we know it!). Laughing
emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Performance anecdote: Back in the 80s I was in a synth pop trio (one guitar, two synth players and a drum machine) that played in the Baltimore/DC area. One summer we got a gig at a battle-of-the-bands. What we didn't know was that every single other band performing was a big-hair heavy metal band... ...

They put us on first so that no one would have to listen to us. It was being held at a small town's carnival grounds, so everyone other than our band was over at the pavilion where the beer was being served. The stage was actually a raised-floor concrete platform topped with a 3-sided metal building. I suppose they normally used it for announcers and auctioneers or something...anyway, it was a total echo chamber! The stage monitors just slammed the mix around and around, you had to really strain to hear the original beat and you just had to trust your fingers to work on autopilot to play in time with the beat.

Nightmare.

But we just did our set and tried to take it in stride. Funny thing was, our sound man was going nuts over the performance. "Best set EVER!" banana

dunno Maybe it was. I wouldn't know 'cause from where I was playing, it was complete chaos!
glenn

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Maybe a trip to US would be nice :) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe I'll be there.. I would love to preform also Smile
billy_boogie

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

anyone camping nearby?
glenn

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: I'm comming ! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Now my plane ticket is just about to be booked Smile
I'm looking forward to meet you all ! ! !

See you there Smile

All the way from Norway Smile

Glenn
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
See you there Smile

All the way from Norway Smile

Wow, nice to see this ...OK, Likewise Glenn Cool

Bill
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, great, Glenn. Maybe you can talk elektro80 into joining you. Smile
Roland Kuit

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 127

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

congrats howard and greg, this is exiting indeed.

after playing everywhere, from dumps to major halls, i have still stage fright. but i found out:
beer does not help,
drugs does not help,
valium does not help.
what i found out was meditation and,
propranolol(beta-blocker).

an other thing,
im flying in, so i dont want to bring much gear.
can that be arranged?
for 1 concert setup i need:
1 behringer midi controller.
and a vj(i provide jpegs), beam
for concert 2, i need 4 nms or g2s(and 3 voluteers to play them).
and a vj(i provide jpegs), beam
for my lecture, i need 1 g2, beam.

Last edited by Roland Kuit on Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
ark

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I expect to bring my G2. At E-M 2009 I'm pretty sure there were at least five G2s or G2xs.
modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 276
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll be flying with my Nord modular again Smile

but I'd quite like to borrow a G2 as well

Page 2 of 3 [57 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com » electro-music 2010
Jump to: