electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
Ubuntu Installation Adventure
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Ubuntu Installation Adventure
Subject description: Help please
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi folks, I'm trying to install either chuck or miniAudicle on Ubuntu Netbook Edition and it won't work. Here is what I have done so far:

1. I downloaded miniAudicle using FireFox and I have no idea where it put the download. I tried redownloading the software and looking where the downloads went and FireFox said it went into "/", which is the root directory. It's not there, it's not under any of my account directories and I can't find the thing.

2. So I used the package manager to install a precompiled chuck binary and that runs, but there is no sound. chuck --probe shows nothing, no sound card - and of course there is one.

3. Then I got the chuck source and for some reason this time it prompted me where to put it, so I put it in my Downloads directory. I then went into the src directory and typed make linux-jack and it complained "bison: command not found". So I installed bison and still the same problem. So I'm in the famous "dependency Hell" in trying to compile chuck.

This is all very frustrating. I don't know why it's so difficult. I know I'm not a linux expert, but I tried three different ways to get chuck to work and no success. Help please.

Les

kijjaz

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

(1) I guess that default download place is your ~/Downloads
(just open Nautilus, then go to Home, and you'll see it in Downloads. .. Normally I usually config Firefox to ask me where to download to.)

(2) see the solution here bro..: "Welcome (and how to get started!)"
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-12829.html
and see my reply for Ubuntu 9.10. It should still work with 10.04.

Good luck. I've just been on Ubuntu 10.04 and it's much more convenient for me in any way except the same old bug auto-loading my RME Hammerfall Interface (which is not hard to solve, see http://kijjaz.exteen.com/20100502/getting-rme-hammerfall-multiface-sound-card-to-work-with-ubu )

And take care ^_^.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Ubuntu Installation Adventure
Subject description: Help please
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:

2. So I used the package manager to install a precompiled chuck binary and that runs, but there is no sound. chuck --probe shows nothing, no sound card - and of course there is one.

Most likely this means you don't have Jack installed. get qjackctl. That's a graphical interface, the Jack server will depend on it. Start Jack before using ChucK and you should have outputs.

EDIT; who maintains that package? I feel it should depend on Jack if it uses Jack. I don't feel ChucK should depend on the graphical interface as we want chuck to be able to run without x-windows. but the mini probably should.

Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kijjaz and Kassen, my good buddies, I'll be sure to put your ideas into practice soon. Just like you and everyone else I get frustrated with these sort of things and dang, why are they so difficult? Well anyway, thanks for your help!

Les

droffset

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You might want to check the process manager to see if pulseaudio is running. I'm pretty sure I had to kill that process to get Chuck's sound going.

Edit: Spelling mistakes.
kijjaz

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got my usual method for compiling miniAudicle for Jack on Linux (here on Ubuntu) here. See if it works on your Ubuntu.

I got miniAudicle-0.2.0.tgz, and extracted in ~/Downloads/source

- - -
kijjaz@kijibuntubuk:~/Downloads/source$ ls
miniAudicle-0.2.0 miniAudicle-0.2.0.tgz

kijjaz@kijibuntubuk:~/Downloads/source$ cd mini*
kijjaz@kijibuntubuk:~/Downloads/source/miniAudicle-0.2.0$ sudo apt-get install build-essential bison flex libwxgtk2.8-dev libsndfile-dev libjack-dev libasound-dev
[sudo] password for kijjaz:

(installing the dependencies...)

kijjaz@kijibuntubuk:~/Downloads/source/miniAudicle-0.2.0$ make linux-jack

(compiling)

kijjaz@kijibuntubuk:~/Downloads/source/miniAudicle-0.2.0$ sudo cp wxw/miniAudicle /usr/bin/miniAudicle-jack

- - -

Then, when I wanna run mini for Jack, I just run miniAudicle-jack. I usually compile another make linux-alsa version in case I just wanna connect directly with alsa.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GrandJu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi All,

I have a lot of fun with chuck, but I use it on WindowsXP and mine is too unstable to play music. So I decided to enter in the "Ubuntu installation Adventure" Laughing

I use Ubuntu 9.10

After some compilation problems, I finally compiled successfully linux-alsa and linux-jack (thanks for your tips Kijjaz!!)

The linux-jack version can see my midi controller but not my sound card.
I installed qjackctl and try to kill pulseaudio, as you recommend, but it doesn't work better.
Note that pulseaudio restart everytime! Shocked

The alsa version can view my sound card as you can see below:

:~/Chuck/chuck-1.2.1.3/examples$ chuck --probe
[chuck]: found 2 device(s) ...
[chuck]: ------( chuck -- dac1 )---------------
[chuck]: device name = "hw:NVidia,0"
[chuck]: probe [success] ...
[chuck]: # output channels = 2
[chuck]: # input channels = 2
[chuck]: # duplex Channels = 2
[chuck]: default device = YES
[chuck]: natively supported data formats:
[chuck]: 16-bit int
[chuck]: 32-bit int
[chuck]: supported sample rates:
[chuck]: 44100 Hz
[chuck]: 48000 Hz
[chuck]: 96000 Hz
[chuck]:
[chuck]: ------( chuck -- dac2 )---------------
[chuck]: device name = "hw:NVidia,1"
[chuck]: probe [success] ...
[chuck]: # output channels = 2
[chuck]: # input channels = 2
[chuck]: # duplex Channels = 2
[chuck]: default device = NO
[chuck]: natively supported data formats:
[chuck]: 16-bit int
[chuck]: 32-bit int
[chuck]: supported sample rates:
[chuck]: 44100 Hz
[chuck]: 48000 Hz
[chuck]: 96000 Hz
[chuck]:
[chuck]: ------( chuck -- 2 MIDI inputs )------
[chuck]: [0] : "Midi Through Port-0"
[chuck]: [1] : "nanoKONTROL MIDI 1"
[chuck]:
[chuck]: ------( chuck -- 2 MIDI outputs )-----
[chuck]: [0] : "Midi Through Port-0"
[chuck]: [1] : "nanoKONTROL MIDI 1"
[chuck]:

But unfortunately, there is no soud when I play otf examples.... Note that sound is running when I play a mp3 in Ubuntu.

Is someone has some Ideas ?

Thanks a lot

Ju
GrandJu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Chuckers,

I didn't see this note before on the Chuck download page:
"Linux
note: ChucK currently supports only 32-bit systems; 64-bit support is not yet available (but we are working on it) "

Unfortunately I have an AMD64...
This certainly explains why I have "segmentation fault"when I run scripts from the examples directory.

Yesterday I tried to add g++ options for AMD64 in the chuck makefile (-mtune=k8 or -mtune=athlon64), but it doesn't work better.

I think the 64 bits support is not only a question of compilation. Do you know that?

I am a beginner in linux and C++, but I know C well because of my work.
Now I will continue to investigate on my own and to discover the Chuck source code.
I ll really appreciate to give some help to the project (cause I feel Chuck really rocks Very Happy ), if I can.

If you have some advices for me to tell me what to do and where to look in the code to upgrade in linux64, your welcome!

Thanks,
Ju
dewdrop_world

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GrandJu wrote:
The linux-jack version can see my midi controller but not my sound card.
I installed qjackctl and try to kill pulseaudio, as you recommend, but it doesn't work better.
Note that pulseaudio restart everytime! Shocked

Late to the party but... don't kill pa. It's like a zombie in the movies -- it keeps coming back. Instead, tell it to sleep like so:

<commandline prompt> pasuspender the_app_i_want_to_run

hjh

nerdware

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here are a few tips I discovered after upgrading Ubuntu earlier this year:

KDE will restart pulseaudio if you kill it. That's because KDE now depends on pulseaudio for audio.

However, if Jack is configured to use ALSA, you can make them both work with pulseaudio by adding the following to your ~/.asoundrc file.

Quote:

pcm.pulse {
type pulse
}

ctl.pulse {
type pulse
}

pcm.!default {
type pulse
}

ctl.!default {
type pulse
}

GrandJu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi All!

I m back in the adventure Very Happy

It was a bit long but finaly i found a solution to run Chuck on my PC AMD64 with Ubuntu.

After reading some stuff about 64 and 32 bits Architectures, my feeling is that it is not a good idea to try to compile chuck as a 64bits program. 32 bit is large enough for sound samples and it will use less memory.

Then I had option "-m32" in the makefile for gcc compilator. It worked better, otf_05.ck and otf_06.ck was ok, midi was ok. But I still had a big problem with SndBuf, otf_01.ck stucked my system because he eated all my RAM memory Shocked
After some investigations I suspected Ubuntu to use libsndfile64 for compiling. There is ways to force a 32bit library on a linux 64. But I didn't succeed, I was irriatated and finaly I decided to install a Ubuntu 32 bits version on my machine Laughing

It works well!! No problem with pulseaudio.
Here is the packets I get to make it compile with alsa:

sudo apt-get install bison flex libsndfile1-dev libasound2-dev gcc g++

The last problem I have is with keyboard management. But I think I have found because when I run kb.ck as superuser it works. I think it is a problem with rights access of files in /dev/input
I will search informations about that and if I find it,I will post a solution.

Have fun chuckers!!
Ju
GrandJu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

Concerning the Keyboard problem, I found a temporary solution but it didn't satisfied me at all.
before playing chuck I modify read access of /dev/input/event0 for other.

/dev/input$ sudo chmod o+r event0

But every times I restart my computer file right had been restored to its original state...
I have search more about that.

Ju
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
Jump to: