electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Faux Pas Quartet and friends Music From Last Thursday
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
Writing apps for iPhone - discussion
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Writing apps for iPhone - discussion Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm interested in writing an app for the iphone/ipod touch. I want to write an audio processor application that will process the internal audio stream from whatever is playing - ipod, web radio, synth apps, etc.

I'm concerned that such a thing isn't really possible because of the discussion on this app: equalizer http://www.carmot.co.cc/Carmot/Equalizer.html = check out the user comments on the appstore - they are bummed.

Quote:
Unfortunatly there is no direct access to the iTunes library on your device.

I know some of the people here have the iPhone development kit. Is it true, you can not access the audio stream from the library on the phone? Seems really dreadful if that's the case.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Howard,

As a guess I would say this is very probably true, I know you have access to playlists and basic control but getting the audio stream I think is not possible.

Much of the OS is like this, It is a very closed system.

I will try to check today for you

Cheers

Andy
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have had a look in the SDK and nothing jumps out but then again there is shitloads of stuff there.

I have posted on the Apple Dev forums so someone with more understanding than me on this may well answer.
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 258

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dang, that bytes!
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Writing apps for iPhone - discussion Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
ipod, web radio, synth apps, etc.

Also most of this is just impossible, only one "user" app can run at a time so the only possible thing it may work with is the system iPod app.
Muied Lumens
Stream Operator

Audio files: 239

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The native player can run at the same time as some other apps, but that's about it as I understand it.

There are some pure effects apps, like reverb and EQ but I don't have them. I would think that they work by using some kind of copy/paste of audio.

Multitasking is coming in an upcoming OS upgrade (OS 4), and will probably make it onto the ipad.

That about sums up what I know about this.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

From the library? No, I don't think you can. I think it's something to do with Apple's reluctance to let developers making apps that can record phone conversations, or at least that's what I read a few years back. OTOH, the app can have its own library, and this is how most get around this obstacle (although of course, it just creates another one! Evil or Very Mad )
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Muied Lumens wrote:

Multitasking is coming in an upcoming OS upgrade (OS 4), and will probably make it onto the ipad.

I was told about June time- but like usaul, it's mere speculation. Multitasking also means a faster processor too! Very Happy

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the information, guys. I'll probably bump this after the new OS appears.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tibor

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi there,

I am the developer of Equalizer for iPhone and I think I can provide some help.

Apple prevents third party apps access to the iPod library. All you can do is read out a playlist and play those songs. There is no actual access to the audio samples in your iPod library.

That's why if you want to create a third party app that processes audio, you will have to get the audio into the app by other means than the iPod library. This has been solved with wifi upload.

In the mean time, audio app developers have joined forces and created a standard to exchange audio between apps (as Apple again tries to prevent apps to exchange files the easy way). The protocol to use is called AudioCopy and Paste. (there is another less popular protocol that has some merit also but is less powerfull, called Intua Pasteboard).

This means once you got your audio in one app, you can pass it on to the next app etc without need for another wifi session.

However, this does not resolve the issue at hand, accessing audio data from the iPod library. Now I am bound by NDA to comment on OS4. But just extrapolating from history, I would not hold my breath.

We (audio app devs) have posted so many requests and bug reports about this issue, that I have to believe it is not that Apple doesn't know we all want it, it's more like Apple does not *want* to provide the feature and has probably very important reasons why...

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tibor wrote:

I am the developer of Equalizer for iPhone and I think I can provide some help.

Hey Tibor! Great to have you here!

welcome to electro-music.com! Very Happy

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome Tibor

Thanks for that information, no matter how sad it is.

If something happens and things with Apple open up. PLEASE post something here.

I assume that if you can't process audio from the Library, you can't process audio from a stream either. Is that correct?

sigh

In any case, Tibor, it is great to have you here. I hope you enjoy our community.

Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
Jump to: