electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
First synth design brainstorm..
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
cloudscapes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: First synth design brainstorm.. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Over the last several weeks I've been thinking about how to make my first non-modular synth and I figure now's a good time to start writing up a design document. Here's a test I built on the weekend:

http://nearworlds.org/stuff/diy/diy_synth_01.mp3
http://nearworlds.org/stuff/diy/diy_synth_02.mp3

It's an AVR controlling a 12bit DAC control-voltaging an XR2206 func generator. I think this is how I will make the oscillators. I'm quite pleased with how it sounds, and the 12bit DAC resolution is good for 30hz-8000hz with a bit of drift (but I don't mind drift). I'd use 16bit but I haven't found many affordable ones in DIP (that weren't parallel). I've already got a DAC word data table for each note! I'll be using an SSM2044 as a filter and I'll be generating the LFOs and ADSRs on the AVR. Or on another if it gets resource-heavy. There are other things I want to do like programable 2399 delay and stuff, but they can wait. Patches are a must.

Then it dawned on me how many DACs I'd need.

- 4 DACs for the two VCOs (two 12bit for freq, two 8bit for mix)
- 1 DAC for noise mix (8bit)
- 2 DACs for the LPF (8bit for resonance and freq)
- 4/8 DACs for the 2/4 LFOs (8bit for the wave, 8bit for the depth)
- 2/4 DACs for the 2/4 ADSRs (12bit for the shape, don't need depth)
- others for the extra stuff I want, 2399 control, chorus, etc)

...then I made a Shocked face.

Am I doing this right? Do I have the right idea? There are a few octal DACs (8bit) in small-ish DIP packages on mouser (TLC5628), and I'll be using the MCP4822 double 12bit DACs where I need the resolution, but it still adds up to so much! I can share the SPI line but I'll still need many pins for chip select! There are also the ADCs I'll need for pots, though I suppose I can use a 16->1 channel multiplexer for that.

I haven't looked much into multiplexers in the past but I think I'll be needing some for switching between waveforms, routing LFOs, stuff like that also.

Am I crazy or am I sort of on the right track? I'm amazed at what a lot of you come up with here and so I will seriously consider to any tips you may have. Building a modular isn't really an option for me. I need it to be ultra-portable (throw it i na backpack with other stuff) and I'll be doing much of the flexibility in code.

DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You could use a single DAC and a multiplexer with a sample and hold on each output. That's how it's usually done.

DJ
--
cloudscapes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrJustice wrote:
You could use a single DAC and a multiplexer with a sample and hold on each output. That's how it's usually done.

DJ
--

Thanks for the reply!

Aren't sample&holds really expensive? The only I know of is the AD781 it I can't find it for less than $10 online.

magman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've seen quite a few synth designs that use SSM chips, like the SSM2300 and the SSM5510. These are Octal S&H designs - so 8 S&H circuits in one chip.

You can get the SSM2300 from Vintage Planet for less than 18 euro's, though the SSM5510 is more like $60.

I keep an eye on this sort of chip, as I would like to work on some computer controlled designs in the not too distant future.

Regards

Magman
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cloudscapes wrote:
Aren't sample&holds really expensive?

Not at all, you just need a cheap opamp (packages with four are probably cheapest) and a capacitor for each s&h. Something like the attached schematic. The switching is done by your multiplexer, usually a CD4051, so you need no other components. This is the exact method used in almost every commercial programmable analogue synth since it works well and is very cost effective.

DJ
--

hold.gif
 Description:
Sample & hold
 Filesize:  1.75 KB
 Viewed:  11321 Time(s)

hold.gif

cloudscapes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

magman wrote:
I've seen quite a few synth designs that use SSM chips, like the SSM2300 and the SSM5510. These are Octal S&H designs - so 8 S&H circuits in one chip.

You can get the SSM2300 from Vintage Planet for less than 18 euro's, though the SSM5510 is more like $60.

I keep an eye on this sort of chip, as I would like to work on some computer controlled designs in the not too distant future.

Regards

Magman

Oh wow! That these chips exist is such a great idea! I hadn't thought of looking for specifically this kind of thing. I feel especially dumb because I'm sure at some point I looked at every single SSM chip. I'm sure I looked right over this not knowing what it was exactly they did or how they were useful.

Thank you!

Apparently the AD SMP08 is a drop-in replacement. Still expensive, but a bit cheaper (by ebay prices).

DrJustice wrote:
cloudscapes wrote:
Aren't sample&holds really expensive?

Not at all, you just need a cheap opamp (packages with four are probably cheapest) and a capacitor for each s&h. Something like the attached schematic. The switching is done by your multiplexer, usually a CD4051, so you need no other components. This is the exact method used in almost every commercial programmable analogue synth since it works well and is very cost effective.

DJ
--

Thank you! I haven't really considered this, though now it makes sense looking at it. I have a few dozen quad opamps I might use.

This is very helpful. If it works it means I can go with full 12bit resolution for anything. I think I'll still buy a couple SMP08 or SSM2300 to try out. I want to measure my options. Guess I'll also do some Mouser trolling tonight and see if I can find other multiplexers with this S&H behavior.

cloudscapes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just tried the S&H opamp trick, works perfectly! Didn't have a multiplexer on me but I could still see. Used a 0.1uf simply because I have a billion of those lying around.

It'll amount to a lot of parts. More chips than using many DACs, but I'll get more resolution out of it and it'll be cheaper!

cloudscapes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

made myself a little daughterboard to help tidy the eventual breadboard cluster that will arise!

16chan_multiplexer_sh.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  361.72 KB
 Viewed:  380 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

16chan_multiplexer_sh.jpg

KammutierSpule

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is some of my ideas to help in your brainstorming:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-30501.html
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-23758.html

for LFO and other stuff you dont need so many bits in DAC at all...

KS
cloudscapes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

KammutierSpule wrote:
There is some of my ideas to help in your brainstorming:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-30501.html
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-23758.html

for LFO and other stuff you dont need so many bits in DAC at all...

KS

Thank you!

Still, I think many bits even for an LFO could be useful. That way I could have the DAC draw out the shape of the LFO as well as the amplitude as a single CV. no seperate CVs for the LFO wave and it's depth. I've already found a 16bit DAC that works with the AVR, the PT8211.

volting

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi cloudscapes,

I just got a bunch of XR2206's, wondering how you have wired them up to be voltage controlled. I cant seem find any clear information on how to do that in the datasheet (or anywhere else for that matter).

Thanks,
v
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Jump to: