electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
g2ools-2.0 status update
Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
qfingers

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:50 am    Post subject: g2ools-2.0 status update Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been working on g2ools on and off since the 1.5 release. I've made many changes and improvements:

- Fixed a large number of bugs in the nm2g2 converter.

- There are several new utilities as well.

- I've decoded the USB protocol somewhat and have created a utility to load and store patches on the g2.

- Added support for the older 2.10 patch version of the nord modular 1 to the converter as well.

- A new ascii file format ".g2" was created that allows modules to be
defined in groups. It is hoped that this will replace the current python library for the nm2g2 and allow replacement of existing python code for creating convertion models. Plus, I would like to create a utility to replace modules in .pch2 files from another tool. My hope is to allow new (better sounding, lower resource usage, different implementations, etc.) modules like oscillators, filters, lfo's, and other module types to be replaced in existing .pch2 files. It can also be used to create new patches using a tool g2topch2.py. I have a sister tool pch2tog2.py that creates a .g2 file from a .pch2 file, but it's not complete. There is alot of work to be done to make them usable but it's well on it's way.

I don't quite know when I'll release a g2ools-2.0 version because my time is limited. The source reposity is hosted at:

http://github.com/msg/g2ools

Which I put changes at. It has a wiki and issue tracker for reporting bugs. I haven't updated those sections with much as I prefer to spend my time on g2ools. But I push my changes to it around once a week. github allows you to download a .tar or .zip of the repository (with the "Download Source" button). The exexcuable programs are included and run the same as the current g2ools-1.5 release.

Keep in mind this is still a work in progress. If you want to contribute, you can contact me and will discuss it.

On another note, I'm still looking at the convertion from NordLead 2 patches to the g2. I've found synthpatchconv one sourceforge.net by Ken Martinez. Currently, his code converts nl2 sysex messages to xml and then converts the xml to .pch files. I'm looking at the code to see what I can use for a .pch2 converter.

3phase also requested (I haven't forgotten) a utility to merge 2 variations from a g2 patch into a single variation using a morph. This would be useful for live play and provide the ability to switch from one variation to another without the skip in other parameters. I've thought about this and because you can only have 25 parameters used in a morph there must be a way to determine which ones to choose.

Sorry for the brain dump, I just want you guys (and girls) to know I been working on this since the release of g2ools-1.5.

Oh yeah, one request I would like to make is the "nm2g2 converter" section of the forum be changed to "g2ools utilities" because it's more then just a converter and it would be nice to have other discussion there. Can we do that?

Thanks,
q
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: g2ools-2.0 status update Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

qfingers wrote:
Oh yeah, one request I would like to make is the "nm2g2 converter" section of the forum be changed to "g2ools utilities" because it's more then just a converter and it would be nice to have other discussion there. Can we do that?

Changed it ... any chance you'll post some info about the communications protocol? I'd be interested!

qfingers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: g2ools-2.0 status update Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Changed it ... any chance you'll post some info about the communications protocol? I'd be interested!

Here is the startup sequence of my g2x. The "Bo" lines are bulk transfers to the g2. The "Ii" lines are the usb interrupt reads from the g2. And The "Bi" are bulk transfers from the g2.

What I had to do to get these was to run Windows in VirtuabBox from within linux and use a program called usbmon. I can capture all the transfers to and from the g2. I've written some python scripts to decode the message into the format of the file I attached.

If you grab g2ools from gitweb from the link above, the program is called g2ctl.py. It requires libusb and the python libusb module. There may be a port of libusb and the python module to mac osx. Since my primary platform is linux, that was the simplest way to develop the tool.
As for windows, I'm not sure you could install libusb as it's a driver level application. That requires signed drivers which I doubt would or could be done with an opensource application.

q

g2startup.usb.txt
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  g2startup.usb.txt
 Filesize:  87.98 KB
 Downloaded:  718 Time(s)

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: g2ools-2.0 status update Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

qfingers wrote:
As for windows, I'm not sure you could install libusb as it's a driver level application. That requires signed drivers which I doubt would or could be done with an opensource application.

Yeah, I've seen some USB spy SW for windows tho ... anyway, thanks for posting!

3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 141

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: g2ools-2.0 status update Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

qfingers wrote:
I've been working on g2ools on and off since the 1.5 release. I've made many changes and improvements:

-
3phase also requested (I haven't forgotten) a utility to merge 2 variations from a g2 patch into a single variation using a morph. This would be useful for live play and provide the ability to switch from one variation to another without the skip in other parameters. I've thought about this and because you can only have 25 parameters used in a morph there must be a way to determine which ones to choose.

q

Hi There Smile,
hope everything is going well..

cool that you still working on it.. I just have my G2 and NM1 running together again.. so if there is something to check..let me know...

Also cool that you still have my request in mind.. there was a similar tool for the NM1 .. and actually i liked it..

i dont know how the sorting was arranged there.. but the programmer of the Nm1 tool well might be still on the forum?

However.. just on a quick thaught it would be maybe good if prarameters that have big changes have a priority. To bad that the switches of the G2 never was updated to be able to be morphed...

Its actually bad that clavia hasnt fixed this one....

but ok..somebody that wants to have morphs maybe have to replace involved switches with crossfader arrangements first

However.. if its only me that think such a feature is interesting you shouldnt bother too much.. sometimes an easy but imperfect implemetaion is allready a good tool to achive nice fx.. maybe dont really have to work on any patch..

best regards
sven
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool to hear you're still working on this. It seems like a good effort!

/Stefan

dorremifasol

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, that's great news! thank you qfingers for all your work!
Hyde

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

qfingers,

i have a question. i see the builds page and i downloaded them all. if i replace all the 1.5 files with your updates, it wont run. so i would like to know - if we wanted to use the latest version of g2ools that might correct some 'off' patch-conversions, what files would we replace in the 1.5 version with your latest builds and still have it work correctly.

i am trying to get this 'AnythingBox' patch to sound as good as it does on my Micro. the G2 patch is not quite right - its not as glitchy, low-fi, and raw like the Micro version. that is why i am hoping that the converter might build it differently (more accurately):

g2oolsAnythingBox.pch2
 Description:
Micro version

Download
 Filename:  g2oolsAnythingBox.pch2
 Filesize:  3.6 KB
 Downloaded:  1795 Time(s)

AnythingBox.pch
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  AnythingBox.pch
 Filesize:  2.35 KB
 Downloaded:  524 Time(s)

Hyde

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

(for those who don't have a G1 i'm posting screens of the difference)

Micro Modular version:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

G2X Engine version:

qfingers

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would click the *download* button and get the whole .tar repository. It's pretty much the same as a normal distribution except that it doesn't have a version tag on it. There are over 100 changes all over the place so really you cannot just download a couple of files.

q
Hyde

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

q,

if i download the latest .tar or .zip and run it like normal (keeping it on Desktop, updating IDLE with correct path, etc) i get an error like this:

Last login: Sun May 9 22:36:08 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
Hyde:~ Hyde$ which python
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/python
Hyde:~ Hyde$ cd Desktop/g2ools
Hyde:~/Desktop/g2ools Hyde$ ./nm2g2.py ~/Desktop/*.pch
crc no _bits
no _bits
"/Users/Hyde/Desktop/AnythingBox.pch"
Failed patches:
/Users/Hyde/Desktop/AnythingBox.pch
global name 'array' is not defined

Hyde:~/Desktop/g2ools Hyde$

-

this doesn't happen when i use the official 1.5 release. any ideas?
qfingers

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hyde wrote:
Last login: Sun May 9 22:36:08 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
Hyde:~ Hyde$ cd Desktop/g2ools
Hyde:~/Desktop/g2ools Hyde$ ./nm2g2.py ~/Desktop/*.pch
crc no _bits
no _bits
Failed patches:
/Users/Hyde/Desktop/AnythingBox.pch
global name 'array' is not defined

Hyde:~/Desktop/g2ools Hyde$

-

this doesn't happen when i use the official 1.5 release. any ideas?

It's fixed. My g2ools version uses a compiled version of getbits()/setbits() that speeds the conversion by a factor between 5 and 10 times the native python code. To compile this requires other OS's (Windows, MAC OSX) which I don't have access to the proper tools to build with.

If you redownload the tar.gz file again, it should be fixed. Let me know if it doesn't work.

q
Hyde

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

q,

thank you so much. i will try when i get home from work in 10 hours Smile
Hyde

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

q,

unfortunately, it does the same thing with the latest .tar version (msg-g2ools-fc5f0eb.tar.gz):

Last login: Mon May 10 17:37:28 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
Hyde:~ Hyde$ cd ~/Desktop/g2ools-1.5x
Hyde:~/Desktop/g2ools-1.5x Hyde$ ./nm2g2.py ~/Desktop/AnythingBox.pch
crc no _bits
no _bits
Hyde:~/Desktop/g2ools-1.5x Hyde$ ./nm2g2.py ~/Desktop/*.pch
crc no _bits
no _bits
"/Users/Hyde/Desktop/LFOTest.pch"
Hyde:~/Desktop/g2ools-1.5x Hyde$

-

its strange because the official 1.5 release works fine on my machine still. something is goofing up this latest build... i am on OSX 10.4.11 / PPC Quad 2.5 G5
qfingers

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hyde wrote:
q,

unfortunately, it does the same thing with the latest .tar version (msg-g2ools-fc5f0eb.tar.gz):

Last login: Mon May 10 17:37:28 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
Hyde:~ Hyde$ cd ~/Desktop/g2ools-1.5x
Hyde:~/Desktop/g2ools-1.5x Hyde$ ./nm2g2.py ~/Desktop/AnythingBox.pch
crc no _bits
no _bits
Hyde:~/Desktop/g2ools-1.5x Hyde$ ./nm2g2.py ~/Desktop/*.pch
crc no _bits
no _bits

-

its strange because the official 1.5 release works fine on my machine still. something is goofing up this latest build... i am on OSX 10.4.11 / PPC Quad 2.5 G5

Where's the output of the lastest version? I just downloaded it and it ran fine. Are you sure you rn the correct one? Could you run it again but via:
Code:
./nm2g2.py -d AnythingBox.pch

This will provide more debug output. I'm running python 2.6.5. The array module has not changed in any version of python I have used.

As a side note to your patch problems (I read your other post). You could try removing the modulation correction mixers. These are within the same colored modules below the main one. Those are setup to give the correct modulation gain based on tests done by 3phase. Because this patch is random in nature, it may be messing up the sound. It may not fix the problem, but it will decrease the patch process and/or memory load. Just delete the mixers and take the input connection to the mixers and apply them to the actual OSC (filter, etc) module.

3phase and I once talked about the converter able to not add modulation correction mixers in with a command-line option. But it never done. This could allow converted patches that are over 100% to possibly work.

q
Hyde

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

q,

i sincerely appreciate you troubleshooting this over the net. nothing is more frustrating than trying to figure out why a program isn't working on someone else's machine. i can tell you this:

i am ANAL about my mac. it is clean and not cluttered. all the requisite files are installed. to be sure - i re-downloaded Python and it *is* 2.6.5 (but when i do 'which python' it says 2.6). i downloaded (again) the latest tar.gz of g2ools and simply changed the folder name from 'msg-g2ools-fc5f0eb' to 'g2ools-1.5x'. this folder is on my Desktop currently while i troubleshoot, as are 2 NM1 patches (AnythingBox.pch and LFOTest.pch). i then follow these instructions:

* install MacPython 2.6.5
* open Terminal and type: which python

--- mine said this:

Last login: Tue May 11 02:39:07 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
Hyde:~ Hyde$

* copy the whole path: /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/python

* go to your g2ools-1.5x folder and open the 'nm2g2.py' file WITH IDLE

* change the first line (red text above the '# Copyright (c) 2006,2007 Matt Gerassimoff' to:

#!(your path)

mine looked like:

#!/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/python

* hit 'Apple-S' to Save

* close IDLE

---

* open Terminal and type: cd ~/Desktop/g2ools-1.5x (path to g2ools)

(hit Enter)

and then:

./nm2g2.py (patch name) for each patch you want converted like this:

./nm2g2.py Chaos001.pch (or for a folder it would be like: ./nm2g2.py ~/Desktop/Keepers/*.pch)

mine looked like: cd ~/Desktop/g2ools-1.5x

(and then):

./nm2g2.py ~/Desktop/*.pch (also tried them individually like ./nm2g2.py ~/Desktop/AnythingBox.pch

(hit Enter)

-----

this always works with 1.5. but when i download your latest version - i still get:

Hyde:~/Desktop/g2ools-1.5x Hyde$ ./nm2g2.py -d ~/Desktop/*.pch (hitting enter)
crc no _bits
no _bits

-----

there are quite a few file changes if i compare the guts of 1.5 to 1.5x (latest version). for instance - inside the old 1.5 folder i have:

and the newest version i have:

and inside the old g2ools/nord/g2 folder i have:

and in the newest version it is:

----

here is a link to the 1.5 version that i have that works flawlessly on my mac:

G2OOLS 1.5

thank you so much for helping. hopefully we can get it figured out.
qfingers

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hyde wrote:

-----

this always works with 1.5. but when i download your latest version - i still get:

Hyde:~/Desktop/g2ools-1.5x Hyde$ ./nm2g2.py -d ~/Desktop/*.pch (hitting enter)
crc no _bits
no _bits

-----

OK, it worked fine. It's just notifying you that there is no _bits module. There is no error. That is just a message to notify you are not running with the compiled _bits.so module. This just speeds the process. Ignore the message. I can remove the message if it's confusing. It's there for me debugging.

The _bits.so is a compiled python module that allows a much faster conversion. When you take the entire nm1 collection and run the converter on it, it takes about an 1 to 2 hours. With the _bits.so, the whole conversion process is done in around a 1/2 hour. The problem is I cannot compile it for Windows or Mac OSX as I do not have the development tools to build it or the OS's to test it.

q
Hyde

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

q,

you're right, sir! i wasn't even trying them for two reasons - first, when i had just downloaded the new directory and tried to just update some of the files in my old directory i got a similar message and the patches it was creating didn't work. it made them on my Desktop but when I tried to open them in the G2 Editor, it would say that the patch was broken and would not work. so i figured it was creating the same kind of broken patch and i was just deleting them without trying them.

second, in the 1.5 version of g2ools, you could see (in Terminal) all the patches being built. because it would list the modules and such in Terminal. so i was going off that too as the new version does not show you that they are built - just that bits error message. so i figured it was failing because of that too.

excellent work, sir. now if a GUI could be made for q2ools 2.0 or even more accurate conversion, i think alot of us would gladly pay for that software. thank you so much for all your hard work and dedication. it's a shame that Clavia dropped support for our gear. that decision to drop the NM1 and G2 made the G2X Engine the last piece of equipment i will ever buy from this company. they lost a consumer with their built-in obsolescence. i'm sure they lost alot of people.
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

qfingers wrote:

It's fixed. My g2ools version uses a compiled version of getbits()/setbits() that speeds the conversion by a factor between 5 and 10 times the native python code. To compile this requires other OS's (Windows, MAC OSX) which I don't have access to the proper tools to build with.

If you redownload the tar.gz file again, it should be fixed. Let me know if it doesn't work.

q

What is getbits/setbits? Is this a JIT compiler that is different than psyco?

cappy2112

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: g2ools-2.0 status update Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

qfingers wrote:

I don't quite know when I'll release a g2ools-2.0 version because my time is limited. The source reposity is hosted at:

Matt,

It looks like the included dx7.pch patch may be corrupt...

C:\nm2g2.py dx7.pch
crc no _bits
no _bits
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\Me\Documents\Src\Python\G2ools\Version2\nm2g2.py", line 773, in <module>
main(sys.argv, stream)
File "C:\Users\Me\Documents\Src\Python\G2ools\Version2\nm2g2.py", line 752, in main
f=open('failedpatches-%s.txt' % (s),'w')
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'failedpatches-05-12-10-23:14:49.txt'

Other patches seem to work though.

qfingers

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: g2ools-2.0 status update Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cappy2112 wrote:
qfingers wrote:

It looks like the included dx7.pch patch may be corrupt...

C:\nm2g2.py dx7.pch
crc no _bits
no _bits
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\Me\Documents\Src\Python\G2ools\Version2\nm2g2.py", line 773, in <module>
main(sys.argv, stream)
File "C:\Users\Me\Documents\Src\Python\G2ools\Version2\nm2g2.py", line 752, in main
f=open('failedpatches-%s.txt' % (s),'w')
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'failedpatches-05-12-10-23:14:49.txt'

Other patches seem to work though.

What "included" dx7.pch. The only included patch is dx7.pch2. I'm not sure what patch you are referring to.

q
cappy2112

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: g2ools-2.0 status update Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

qfingers wrote:

What "included" dx7.pch. The only included patch is dx7.pch2. I'm not sure what patch you are referring to.

q

My bad, the '2' had wrapped to the other side of the screen.

qfingers

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: g2ools-2.0 status update Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cappy2112 wrote:
qfingers wrote:

q

My bad, the '2' had wrapped to the other side of the screen.

Of course you realize that nm2g2.py only converts nm1 .pch files as it would be pointless to convert .pch2 files. Wink

q
cappy2112

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: g2ools-2.0 status update Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

qfingers wrote:

Of course you realize that nm2g2.py only converts nm1 .pch files as it would be pointless to convert .pch2 files. Wink
q

yep. I have converted lots of nm1 files, I know how to use it.

Electromagnetic Wave

G2 patch files: 38

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi!

Quote:
I'm still looking at the convertion from NordLead 2 patches to the g2. I've found synthpatchconv one sourceforge.net by Ken Martinez. Currently, his code converts nl2 sysex messages to xml and then converts the xml to .pch files.

Has anyone seen or owned this code to convert nl2 to nm1 .pch ? This option has never been added for the G2ool?

The sourceforge look empty : https://sourceforge.net/projects/synthpatchconv/

Here is the only link where I found a little more info

http://electro-music.com/nm_classic/011_7_NordLead_Emulation_by_Martinez_Ken/GenericSynthPresetStorage&Conversion.htm

Question
Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: