electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Jez Adventures in Sound
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » electro-music.com
Improving the site - any suggestions?
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 125
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Improving the site - any suggestions? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm about to undertake two huge projects, electro-music 2005 and upgrading the forum software. (I hope updating the software will improve performance, especially on posting posts). I say that as a caveat - I don't have much time to implement many new ideas or features for the site. Still, I'm always interested in hearing new ideas and suggestions - even criticism and complaints. Well, forget the last two.

If anyone has any ideas for things that they think would improve this site, please let us hear them.

Thanks...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am not sure really... We have discussed doing something that makes the front page more varied.. news or whatever.. but I guess fixing the speed issues is far more important. The current growth rate indicates that we are doing pretty well at the moment. Adding interesting content is probably more crucial than actual board features. I guess you shouldn´t take on any huge projects right now.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
diskonext

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

An idea I always like on forums is some kind of integration of forum posts on the main page.

This is easy enough:
have a forum that's open to everyone (strictly moderated, though), every post posted there appears on the front page. A bit of PHP is all that's needed.

Then again, I never visit the main page, and skip straight to the forums.

The forum itself seems to be feature-complete as is, no need for any changes in my opinion!

Or maybe a 'Interesting Threads' section, a sort of director's cut of the forum content?

-diskonext

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gear news and such would be great to getr on the first page.. you know.. 5 last posts or something. I think Howard has something kinda worked out already.
Not full posts.. just the subject and and a few lines..
We can get more hits from Google etc. this way I guess.. and the site looks like it is changing all the time.. which of course it does.. but not on the front page..

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Johan Zwart

Audio files: 19
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes mosc. New posts headings on the frontpage would be nice.
Gear news is not that relevant for me.
Next to the electro-music I have always a tab with the gearjunkies frontpage.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My only concern right now is that if we are going to improve anything .. we should go for something that will get us b annerads and such.

What about clening up in the Reviews section.. and adding some kind of "Is thsi gear any good" subforum in the How To´s section.. I can sort that .. moving posts and stuff..
We sould probably look into more gear reviews and content like that.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Dovdimus Prime

Audio files: 6

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello my lovelies

I agree with the chap about who said about never looking at the front page. It's not much to look at at the moment though. Maybe the front page should literally just be a 'cover', designed by one of the many artistics members here, perhaps with a few electronic sounds. Or would that be too cheesy?

I agree with the other chap that the forum is perfect - I really do think it's fantastic and can't think of a way to improve it.

In terms of content, the only possible omission I can think of is reviews of released stuff, you know, Aphex Twin's latest wibbles, or Stockhausen's sonatas for bleep, noise and squirpy squirps, or whatever.

Cheers Mosc and other people by the way!

Dovder

Johan Zwart

Audio files: 19
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dovdimus Prime wrote:
Hello my lovelies
Maybe the front page should literally just be a 'cover', designed by one of the many artistics members here, perhaps with a few electronic sounds. Or would that be too cheesy?

As long as it is not to "flashy".
Standard I open up my browser with about ten tabs.
If to many of them start to play al kind of Flash graphics and music, things may slow down to mutch.

What I absolutely hate are sites that stat up with "click here to enter" Evil or Very Mad
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like the idea of not only gear reviews, but more "How-To'" sections, like the fairly recent "Mastering" paper. If the site is about making electro-music, maybe some more visibility to FAQs on networking your studio, or tuning windows XP, or tuning OSX, or avoiding aliasing of oscillators. All of this info is in the forums, but if this site was to become a hub for musicians, It'd be nice for the editors/admins, formally, to boil much of this info down (either themselves or administering others) to more accessible forms.

How-tos of burning a CD, and what formats a disc manufacturer would want, and how to market your music.

I know much of this information is available, but only if you know what to look for. Sometimes browsing though a "library" turns on more light bulbs than searching for specific information.
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com
Jump to: