electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Arturia Synths
Arturia Origin
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Pelle_punk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Arturia Origin Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

I wonder if anyone knows if it is possible to create sounds without a keyboard on a Arturia Origin just like a real analogue modular synth?

Greatful for answers! Smile

Regards.

//Pelle
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Pelle!

welcome to electro-music.com!

Yes you can. The trick I use is to set the internal sequencer to one step with no trigger. Then the sequencer start/stop button can be used to start and stop the sound. The envelopes will be triggered once when you press start and the other modules will be free running. When the sequencer loops, the envelopes will not be retriggered, unless you want them to by enabling trigger for the sequencer step.

This can be taken further by using more steps in the sequencer to generate 'control voltages', without any further triggers (unless you want triggering) to modulate whatever you want, with the accent envelope and slide available for refinement.

DJ
--
Pelle_punk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for your response!
Great! Very Happy

Are you happy with it otherwise?
Is it versatile?

Because I am looking for a synth that I can use to create odd and strange sounds but also to have the "normal" music

They sell it very cheap here in Sweden now (1300 USD)
and there are only two copies left ....
So i guess i have to hurry!

Regards.

//Pelle
DrJustice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm very happy with mine. I find it very versatile and good sounding. This is one synth I don't want to be without now Very Happy

I know about the Musikbörsen offer - since I live in Sweden I tend to scan around "Du gamla, du fria" for good offers.

DJ
--
DrJustice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I moved this topic to the "Arturia Synths" sub forum.

DJ
--
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi DJ,

Glad you like it, I was a little worried you might not!

Andy
Pelle_punk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay, so you think it is good value then?

It seems a bit fishy to sell it for half price .... just thinking that perhaps it was not a success, this "box"...Smile

Too bad börsen does not have a demo that could be looked at before buying it.
DrJustice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Pelle_punk wrote:

I reckon it's good value, especially that offer. I had to order without testing one myself... Be aware that both the printed and downloadable manual is a bit confusing and incomplete (a new one is said to be in the works).

Quote:
It seems a bit fishy to sell it for half price .... just thinking that perhaps it was not a success, this "box"...Smile

Before and right after launch the Origin was the subject of a thorough bashing on a few well known forums (not here!). Its functionality and construction was widely misunderstood and dissed by people not in the know. Some of it was due to a dislike for the company itself, and some was due to rampant Solaris fanboyism (the Solaris is a completely different instrument, and is yet to ship). I'm afraid that some of this hurt Origin sales. I think it's a sad story, as IMO the Origin is a very unique and good synth - a misunderstood gem.

DJ
--
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Pelle_punk wrote:

Too bad börsen does not have a demo that could be looked at before buying it.

If I lost mine I would pay the original (pre special offer) price I paid again in a flash.
DrJustice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Glad you like it, I was a little worried you might not!

Don't worry, be happy! As you might guess from this thread, I'm loving it! This is one for the connoisseurs Very Happy

DJ
--
Pelle_punk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll give it a proper think tonight and maybe tomorrow i will buy this fine piece before falling out of my hands.

Thanks again for all the answers!

Best Regards.

//Pelle
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, how does it compare to the G2? (if anyone dares!)
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also, how does it do as a polysynth?

/Stefan

DrJustice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jksuperstar wrote:
So, how does it compare to the G2? (if anyone dares!)

I don't have a G2 (had a G1), but I know enough about the G2 to say that they don't really compare. Both are patchable, and that's where the similarities end. The Origin spends a lot of DSP cycles on some very smooth modelled algorithms, and delivers great modular VA sound with a bit of groove-box'ish instant gratification feel, owing in part to the sequencer and the front panel controls. It's very groove-box unlike in it's depth though. I imagine that it could be not a question of G2 or Origin, but of both - they do very different things Smile Not requiring an external computer is a big plus in my book.

I think Andy has both - maybe he'll offer his comments.

@ Antimon : the polyphony quickly drops from the max of 32 with increased patch complexity. It's probably not the right box if massive polyphony is a priority, it 'stoo fun to build big patches. The Mini Moog template has 6 voices if I remember correctly.

DJ
--
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I´m still very happy with the Origin. IMO, it really doesn´t make much sense to actually compare it to the Clavia NM/G range at all. The Origin is a different kind of beast. I still think it is hard to really explain well what the Origin is. The best way to figure it out is to actually try one.. or even better.. just buy one. You will want one after having spent some quality time with one. ( Easy math Very Happy ).

What can I say.. it is a modern classic. All the great classic synths each have their own distinct personalities. Like the CS80, the PPG Wave 2.x/Waveterm combos, the Jupiter 6, the Octave Cat and the ARP 2600. Add the Origin to that list!

And it blends well with my analog modular.
BTW, I´ve started to suspect that the dotcom modular and the Origin enjoys some quality spooning time together whenever I leave the room. Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Arturia Synths
Jump to: