electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
6-Stage Phaser a la Access Virus ?
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Zebulon

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: 6-Stage Phaser a la Access Virus ? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've always loved the rich sound of the Virus 6-stage phaser...

How do you achieve something similar with the G2 ?

Using comb filtering with LFOs or something ?...
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The G2 has phaser and flanger modules. The phaser has 2 or 3 notches (switchable). I don't know the Virus phaser, but I imagine you could use a few G2 phaser modules in series or parallel.

A favorite effect of mine is to use separate phasers on the left and right channels. Set them to different frequencies. This give great spacalization - much much better than panning, IMHO.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Zebulon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the tips.

Using several phaser modules: that's what I tried to do first but I didn't get the results I wanted.

I came much closer when I used some comb filtering modules; may be the virus phaser uses a certain type of comb filtering technique ?
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The FltPhase is a (up to) 6 stage phaser, you can modulate frequency, notch spread and depth with LFO's or whatever you please.
Zebulon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, thanks, we're getting closer... I'll find out how to improve it.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, use that Filter Phaser module. It's really nice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
davep

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

An important note is that the G2 'phase filter' is set up a little different from the NM1 'phaser' module:

Phase shifter effects are created when the phase shifted signal is mixed with the direct signal. On the NM1, the signals are mixed together inside the module - you just need to connect the signal to the IN and OUT and presto! Phase shifting.

But on the G2, it's left up to you to patch this signal mix. So to create the classic phase shifter effect on the G2, you need to add a two-input mixer. Connect the audio signal to the input of the phase filter, and also to one of the mixer inputs. Now connect the output of the phase filter to the other mixer input and turn up both mixer inputs. Sweep the phase filter with an LFO or whatever, and you have a classic phase shifter.

BTW, the fact that you can vary the number of peaks, the peak spacing, and the pos/neg feedback, and that you can MODULATE all of these, makes this a very versatile module and goes way beyond what other phase shifters can do.

Zebulon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the tips, it's very useful indeed...

I notice this thing (i.e. the phase filter) is very wild and can get out of control very quickly and produce hig level of clipping. One have to very careful with the feedback level, specially when it is modulated by a LFO. Moreover, the sound of the module seems to switch off with very high level of clipping, by I assume it is on purpose....?!?
davep

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, you need to watch the signal level when using high feedback levels, and adjust the input level knob on the phase filter module to prevent clipping. But for the classic phaser sound, it should work better with less feedback (feedback knob set between the 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock positions). Use a triangle LFO, and don't use too much modulation depth.

I like less predictable motion in the sound, so I sometimes use a slow random LFO for the sweep, or even better - use TWO of these phaser+mixer circuits in series or in parallel, and use different settings for each one (different number of peaks, one with a little positive feedback and the other with a little negative feedback, two LFOs with different rates). Similar to the old Mutron Bi-Phase, a vintage effects pedal that had two phasers in one box. Instant Vangelis/ Jarre!

Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: