electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Windows as a music workstation
calling PC building know-it-alls!
Page 2 of 2 [33 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, I thought he/she was going for the 1366, might as well just get DDR2 RAM then, wouldn't that be cheaper?
Ashe37

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1156 uses DDR3.... the memory controller is built onto the processor.
Waldorf Blofeld
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So it needs DDR3 but can only use 2 channels?
Ashe37

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yep, 2 channels of DDR3-1066, iirc
Waldorf Blofeld
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also, the 1156 series don't technically *need* perfect pairs anymore. Things are better for sure with dual channels of paired up RAM, but it's not a requirement. The new cache and memory management unit can optimize things on it's own now.

So, you can take that left over DDR3 that you have laying around for 3 years now, and stick together an ad-hoc system to calculate the size of the expanding universe, or decode SETI receptions at blazing speed Wink Wink

It should be noted for the original poster, that whatever you get, choose the chip in the family with the largest size cache. The more data in cache, the less you access RAM anyway. And the new cache in the 1156 has more sharing between the cores, so efficiency of multi-track mixing can require less use of external memory if your tool spreads tracks out across cores.
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
So we won't be recommending AMD then Smile

I must admit my PC building days are gone, would it still work out cheaper to build your own or just buy one nowadays?

Mmm. That's got me wondering a bit as I am now as of yesterday, getting ready to construct a new machine for music only and ... I wont touch Intel. Surprised Lots of studying to do, for me. Surprised Smile

Seeing the recommendation for NOT having wifi at the same time as the machine running, I'll have to keep in mind. My wifi router is up on the 1st floor of the house and my new music purposed computer will be in the basement's studio. Hmmm hmmm hmmmmmm. scratch

There're so many aspects to look at for building a machine specifically for music recording as well. Running Reaper for audio as well as MIDI at the same time, being the end result / desire.

Would there be any advantages to going 64 bit as opposed to 32? (The extra memory abilities of Win 7, with 64 bit.) I'm also looking towards the future. The 6 1/2 year old machine that I'm replacing were a powerhouse when I built it - FOR the purpose of lasting a long time. That's another main feature that I'd like with the new machine - for it to be a powerhouse, for a good long time.

Could anyone out there give me any rough estimates as to what I should look for in building a new machine? I.E.:

- # of cores
- amount of RAM
- HD speed / # of hard drives (knowing that physically separate for data, is a preference)
- 64 or 32 bit? (It WILL be Win 7)

Also - could the downside of AMD be specified at least somewhat for me? I've not been a fan of Intel for years and years, due to their extreme extra costs for just about anything. Perhaps they've come down closer to AMD in pricing though, and I'm not aware of it?

Thanks for any tips / suggestions / help. I'd like to start purchasing the required components for building the machine, as soon as possible.

I'm also not worried on graphics for it. Would it be ok to leave the graphics engine to the motherboard itself? Or would it still be better to go with a physically separate video card?
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can always run a connection to the internet from your upstairs PC, and use something like VNC to remote into that computer from your studio PC inorder to do browsing.

That's to say: you will have wifi enabled in your studio only while web browsing. Otherwise, it's off. However, the studio PC will talk to your "normal" computer, which then talks to the internet. That keeps your studio computer safer. VNC is extremely easy to use, and fast over a local internet.
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rykh,
I can't see anything wrong with AMD, they've served me well for the last 10 years or so.
And definitely get a separate video card. You don't want to be sharing any RAM with the video system. Keep as much as possible freed up for your music.

Page 2 of 2 [33 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Windows as a music workstation
Jump to: