electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Whacky, Zany, Weird Stripboard Layout
Page 9 of 10 [243 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9, 10 Next
DETOX

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'm going to build a wsg on a stripboard tomorrow, i'll keep you updated !
DETOX

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DETOX wrote:
i'm going to build a wsg on a stripboard tomorrow, i'll keep you updated !

mpfff....didn't realize uncle krukus' version differs in some components but i need to buy some more resistors anyway so getting other capacitors won't be as anoying as it seems.

soldering for now was quite easy, transistors, jumper wires, ic sockets, a battery clip and two diodes are already installed (tje most annoying and time eating procedure was to attach the jumper wires, took me half an hour or smething...those stripboards are smaller than i expected).

but theres stilll one question i have (a question that tortures me for some time now not just since i thught about building a wsg...):

what's the matter with the ground? is it really just the negative pole of the 'power supply'?

Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CLNicholson wrote:
sorry to be such a bother but just one last question, i cant seem to find an exact double sized cap for those ratings. i need 40nF and 2uF but i did find 47nF and 2.2uF will those work just the same? thanks in advance!

Sorry I didn't see this CLN.
Yeah they'd work fine.

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DETOX wrote:
what's the matter with the ground? is it really just the negative pole of the 'power supply'?

I don't really know what you mean by this DETOX.
In a single supply, (ie no -ve supply) then yes, everything is referenced to the "negative pole of the power supply"
In a bi-polar supply, the ground is the point half way between the +ve and -ve supplies.

benuron

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for sharing the wsg in stripboard layout cheers
I'm building it...but notice that the bypass caps (c9, c10) are missing.
Can I just solder this caps right next to + and - supply like in the picture?
Sorry I'm no electronics expert Sad

Thanks Very Happy

AndrewSharpStripBoardTop.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  47.5 KB
 Viewed:  1053 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

AndrewSharpStripBoardTop.gif

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Technically, you should put them on the copperside of the board, right underneath each chip. They are for bypassing the chip's supplies and therefore should be located as close as posssible to the chip's supply pins. Really though, in this circuit, it doesn't matter too much. That is the best practice though.
benuron

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
Technically, you should put them on the copperside of the board, right underneath each chip. They are for bypassing the chip's supplies and therefore should be located as close as posssible to the chip's supply pins. Really though, in this circuit, it doesn't matter too much. That is the best practice though.

Thanks.
I put them in the easy way Very Happy

The pcb is finished, moving on to the case Cool

P1030447p.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  102.56 KB
 Viewed:  1046 Time(s)

P1030447p.jpg

azzthedrivein

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Whacky Help????? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi everyone, im totally new to forums and to this place especially. I am building the whacky noise thing from the diagrams shown below. i was wondering if it actually works from that diagram and also where and how do i attach the Audio Jack out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx

Aaron
stokes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

benuron wrote:
Thanks for sharing the wsg in stripboard layout cheers
I'm building it...but notice that the bypass caps (c9, c10) are missing.
Can I just solder this caps right next to + and - supply like in the picture?
Sorry I'm no electronics expert Sad

Thanks Very Happy

Hi all,

I thought I'd test my rusty skills on this WSG before attempting something more serious, but am confused already.

What is the difference between the layout in Benuron's post (a few prior to this one) and the original Uncle Krunkus post on page 1 of the thread?

They seem to share the same components but I don't know if there are any functional differences between the two. I thought I was following the Uncle Krunkus layout but have accidentally cut my stripboard according to the length of Benuron's, which I have just noticed is a few holes shorter... Embarassed

Thanks Very Happy

Stokes.
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just checked Ray's WSG page, and it still shows the original layout I did. The one benuron posted 2-3 posts ago is the new "improved" WSG as a new "improved" stripboard layout. Whichever one you've cut your board for will work fine. The new one has some extra controls and resonance control.
I thought I'd sent the new layout to Ray, but maybe he hasn't updated the webpage with the new layout yet.

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The new board is 2 holes narrower and 1 hole longer.
Sorry about the confusion.

stokes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
The new board is 2 holes narrower and 1 hole longer.
Sorry about the confusion.

That's great - thanks for the quick response!
Pascal

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've built the WSG (the new version with filter) on eurocard prints.
2 of them.

... and it works...

Sorry if my english isn't correct

WSG01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  40.84 KB
 Viewed:  49566 Time(s)

WSG01.jpg

WSG02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  30.62 KB
 Viewed:  49567 Time(s)

WSG02.jpg

WSG07.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  336.93 KB
 Viewed:  995 Time(s)

WSG07.jpg

tjookum

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi there,

First time synth diyer here. Ive been building the WSG using the same stripboard lay-out benuron uses, the improved version from ray's website.

Since it's my first build I took my time and did it slow and rechecked everything twice. But when i switched it on it just produced a very faint fading sound, like something slowly discharging over 5 seconds. I was really dissapointed, a lot of time and care went into building it and I was hoping to be making weird sounds by now. Any thoughts on what it might be?

The things i was confused about on the lay-out:
-The direction of the diodes? did i get it right?
-I added C9 and C10 as described by benuron above, is this correct?

Ive added some pictures, hope it helps... otherwise it's going to be a long night of debugging.

HPIM1573.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.03 MB
 Viewed:  743 Time(s)

HPIM1573.JPG

HPIM1584.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.39 MB
 Viewed:  754 Time(s)

HPIM1584.JPG

tjookum

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DOH!

After rechecking all the resistor value's, panel wiring and a good night of sleep I just found out i ordered and placed the wrong caps. 100 pF and 22 pF just wont do...lol. Well, at least I learned to check the value's of all components before soldering Smile .

My new MKS2 caps in correct value's will be arriving tomorrow, hopefully i didn't damage the IC's and everything is still fine. When I finish this badboy I'll post some pictures.
squash

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject:  2 days of soldering and £40 later, no noise :( Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi everyone,

I really hope this will get a response at some point as I noticed this thread is quite old...

Ive basically bought and soldered the parts for a WSG made to andrew sharp's stripboard layout, but when i turn it on theres no noise!! when i turn it off (and if im touching a component for a static noise) the static noise kind of phases as the circuit discharges.

This is a first electronics project for me, and as i love the idea of analogue sound equipment, I was really hoping to get some results!

Ill post pictures, but I think these are some of the faults i may have...

in place of the two 1uf capacitors, I am using one 2.2uf 60V and one 1uf 450V capacitor (maplin were out of stock of the one that was reccomended!) (also, when the 450V capacitor is bypassed, it makes no difference)

I have wired the rot pots direct to where it is marked on the stripboard diagram - (you will see from the pictures i will post) am i supposed to follow the very complicated panel wiring scheme?

I have got a chip mounting piece for the longer chip which is one part too long - i doubt this will make a difference though?

Then one time when i turned it on, and left it on for a while, trying to tap audio out of different places in the circuit, i smelt burning, and burnt myself on the 8 pin microchip - will it be completely toasted now?

(Pictures listed below)

Any help would be huuuugely appreciated, any help at all Smile

thanks alot!

Serin K

IMG00156-20100708-2216.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  734.64 KB
 Viewed:  729 Time(s)

IMG00156-20100708-2216.jpg

IMG00155-20100708-2216.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  547.7 KB
 Viewed:  826 Time(s)

IMG00155-20100708-2216.jpg

tjookum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi squash! welcome to the world of analog electronics!

The WSG is a great first build and I had a good time building it, but as you can see above it's really easy to miss something and get really confused really fast.
Im no expert but I'll try to help you out here.

Quote:
in place of the two 1uf capacitors, I am using one 2.2uf 60V and one 1uf 450V capacitor (maplin were out of stock of the one that was reccomended!) (also, when the 450V capacitor is bypassed, it makes no difference)

Not sure about this one, I believe these aren't critical for the sound. But after trying everything else you might want to get some new ones and try it.

Quote:
I have wired the rot pots direct to where it is marked on the stripboard diagram - (you will see from the pictures i will post) am i supposed to follow the very complicated panel wiring scheme?

No, if you used the schematic unclekrunkus posted on the first page you wired them up exactly as they should be, you might want to switch around wires to change the turning direction of the pots.

Quote:
I have got a chip mounting piece for the longer chip which is one part too long - i doubt this will make a difference though?

No that's fine.

Quote:
Then one time when i turned it on, and left it on for a while, trying to tap audio out of different places in the circuit, i smelt burning, and burnt myself on the 8 pin microchip - will it be completely toasted now?

Not 100% sure, but if you smell burning it probably is burning Laughing . Try annother chip, just to be sure.

Before you do anyhting else, replace the caps(maybe you can get some out of an old electrical appliance) and double check all the components on the board for their correct placement and value(1uF=1000nF).

noise
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: 2 days of soldering and £40 later, no noise :( Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

squash wrote:
Hi everyone,

Hmm hi squash ... your 2nd post, the one about wedding dresses, was not very much appreciated and I deleted it ... also your account has been locked as either it got cracked or you are the spammer yourself ... please contact an admin to get things sorted out.

-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...and I was just about to help squash with his WSG problems! Smile

It looks like some capacitors are missing and some resistors are in the wrong spot... actually, it looks like there are a few components wrong here... if you are going off the Krunkus strip board, I'd suggest checking that everything is in exactly the right place on your board. You need to follow the diagram religiously pretty much to get it to work...
urbanspaceman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Pascal

Pascal i have two question on your double wsg.

1. Where can I find the complete project (with filter), with the list of components?
2. What kind of stripboard you used?

tnx
squash2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject:  Help! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I thought you were joking about the wedding dress spam thing, but my first account has been de-activated! I know nothing about that, and it is impossible anyone could have got to my computer - now im worried i have some sort of virus :S
(how should i have contacted an admin with out making another account?)

anyway, thanks for the feedback, but i am pretty sure all the components are there and in the right place, it may just look completely wrong due to the angle of the picture and the way i have wired it - for example some resistors's wires fold back under themselves to get to the correct hole.

one other problem i may have had was that two of the capacitors needed, that were meant to be 20nf, were supplied from maplin as 20pf, so i used them instead... i have ordered the correct ones though.

Serin
squash2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh no! i have also just realised that I have been using the diagram and parts list off the original WSG community page...

is there a parts list that goes with the diagram on the first page?

thanks in advance.

Serin
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

squash2 wrote:
I thought you were joking about the wedding dress spam thing, but my first account has been de-activated! I know nothing about that, and it is impossible anyone could have got to my computer - now im worried i have some sort of virus :S
(how should i have contacted an admin with out making another account?)

there is an email address ... somewhere ... and no it was no joke .. maybe your password was guessed or something? (such wouldn't be the 1st time here)

-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What I think you should do squash2 is:

Check the stripboard diagram on page 1 of this thread. Make sure the back of your board is correct. Have you made ALL of the cut marks and in the right place? Are any of the cuts not done properly?

Check the list of components on Page 1. This could be one of your problems, which it looks like you have identified yourself.

Make sure ALL of the components are of the correct value and the correct place. It looks like you have run jumpers further than needed, then run others back. I think if you start deviating from the plan or move things across one hole or shuffle things around, you could run into problems.

Once you have checked all this and are sure it is right, you should check all your soldering. Make sure you haven't bridged any of the stripboard tracks. Look out for dry solder joints.

Make sure your IC's are inserted correctly and there are no legs bent over and not inserted in the sockets. *You may need to replace the IC which got hot. Don't turn the device on though until you check all of the other things, or you may fry another one! Make sure the IC's are the right way around. (Yours look ok)

Check the wiring to the pots. Is it joined to the board in the right places?

Basically, you need to make sure you follow the diagram EXACTLY for the greatest chance of success. Also, do it as NEATLY as possible. The WSG is a great little device! I know you'll love it once it works for you!

Hope this helps. Good luck!
squash2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Thanks :) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the feed back everyone Smile

Basically, what ive decided to do, is just re order the cheap parts, i.e. everything that goes on the circuit board and re use the expensive ones, such as the rot pots etc. I think im also going to get a much better soldering iron, as the one i was using was rediculously big for the job.

Ill let you know how it goes Smile

Thanks,

Squash
Page 9 of 10 [243 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9, 10 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: