electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Windows as a music workstation
So what's the best soundcard for my new WIN7 system?
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:09 am    Post subject: So what's the best soundcard for my new WIN7 system?
Subject description: The old one just went belly up.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just a general question about what people would recommend for a new soundcard.
I'd like an internal PCI-e if possible.
WIN7 64bit ready.
Nice SNR and latency.
No front panel.
MIDI and Soundfont compatible.
Balanced in/outputs asking too much?

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Chief - the only higher end one that I've gone with, were my $600 (in 2001) RME Digi96-PST.
Outside of having to clean it's contacts with a pencil eraser in 2006 or so, it's worked BRILLIANTLY ever since I bought it. Luscious 96k/24 bit that brought me to realizing (doing exact same subject samples at 44k1/etc and 96k/etc) how MUFFLED that 44k1 / 16 bit sounded. Surprised Razz

BUT .... this is 9 year old tech. I know they still exist. When I had built my 64 bit machine 2 years ago (Win 64), there were no drivers for it THEN. I don't know about now though. I haven't checked yet as I haven't bought Win 7 yet.

Them be my thoughts though. If I were to grab a new serious card, I'd be back to them. (They've also had multi-output attachments / yada yada. Though I notice now, new mobo's are having 8 out interfaces. Hmmm.)
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, well,
I've had a bit of a look at some good quality cards, and I literally can't afford anything which is better than the XFi Fatality I already have.
So,
Here's hoping that my Mr Fixit skills are up to scratch! Laughing

DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You didn't really spcifiy what kind of i/o you needed - that could be a big factor...

I've had quite a few RME cards over the past few years - PAD 8, 2x Hammerfall 9652's and the only one I have left now is a HDSP9652. Superb cards and their drivers are rock solid. You can find some of the Hammerfall 96 series and even HDSP series used for reasonable prices if you look. You will need some sort of ADA convertor for them - but they can be found too. The RME RAYDAT seems to be the new internal card that's replacing the others...48 channel (50 maybe?) I/O.

As for other cards - maybe look at Emu. Or Echo - they make the Gina and Layla series of PCI based interfaces. Oh - you might be able to find a MOTU 2408MKxx system as well - I'm a bit hesistant with them because their support for Windows OS is lacking though I did have a Traveler and loved it...it was actually my new laptop top not being able to work with it that made me decide to sell it.

Dave

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DES wrote:
You didn't really spcifiy what kind of i/o you needed - that could be a big factor...

I've had quite a few RME cards over the past few years - PAD 8, 2x Hammerfall 9652's and the only one I have left now is a HDSP9652. Superb cards and their drivers are rock solid. You can find some of the Hammerfall 96 series and even HDSP series used for reasonable prices if you look. You will need some sort of ADA convertor for them - but they can be found too. The RME RAYDAT seems to be the new internal card that's replacing the others...48 channel (50 maybe?) I/O.

As for other cards - maybe look at Emu. Or Echo - they make the Gina and Layla series of PCI based interfaces. Oh - you might be able to find a MOTU 2408MKxx system as well - I'm a bit hesistant with them because their support for Windows OS is lacking though I did have a Traveler and loved it...it was actually my new laptop top not being able to work with it that made me decide to sell it.

Dave

Totally off subject: Stick player? Ooooo! Respect! salut I've never even seen one live / in person, but know of them, very well. Tony Levin's been a hero of mine for years. Love the sound of those instruments and everything that's possible. Surprised Surprised
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I started playing Stick about 7 years ago - shortly after my mother died. I had seen them around for years but never had a chance to try one. I met a customer at work who had one - and that was it, I was hooked. Bought my first one on Ebay. I had 4 at one point but I'm down to 2 now - both are 12 string versions.

I really wish I had followed my inner-voice and looked into them sooner.

I've been working at trying to get it to meld with my electronic music...it's been a near miss so far though it's coming along. I think I'm 'thinking' too hard when I try to....Have to lay off the brain a bit - or just redirect it to getting my hands to go where they're supposed to go. Laughing

It's really not as hard as you would think - especially if you play piano or drums..you already have your mind used to doing different things with each of your hands. With guitar or bass or flute for example your hands work together to sound a note or chord. With piano or drums they are doing different things.

Still - it's not really difficult to get going. Now becoming a MASTER - that takes time and practice. Search out players like Bob Culbertson, Steve Addelson or Greg Howard on YouTube....wow..

Dave

Ashe37

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

*not* an Emu card, their win7 drivers are *still* beta!
Waldorf Blofeld
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Windows as a music workstation
Jump to: