electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
the absolute beginners thread
Page 4 of 6 [145 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
tjookum

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Rest assured that I for one am watching your achievements with a certain sense of vicarious joy!
I say vicarious as I don't have much free time lately, or I'd be doing some CMOS R&D myself.
BTW, I love your vids tjookum. I reckon they look like a band of alien musicians doing a live gig from about the 30th row back. Brilliant.

Thanks UnkleKrunkus (great name!), as long as you people keep following me Ill keep posting.

Alien musicians, hahaha. The led's are really great, when I tone down the lights and crank up the volume it's really a very intense sensation.

Quote:
That looks like a fun module to make, tjookum Very Happy ! I'll keep it on my "Things to Do When I'm Done Changing Diapers" list Laughing .

Yes, it has been quiet here the past few days...I've been slowly but surely connecting my poor man's modules together during baby's naps. As it is, it's a lunetta I call "BlobbLor" since it's sort of a blob of wires, copper and bolts. Hopefully the night owl lunetta construction will allow me to post sounds in the near future.

It is a very fun module to build, lot's of nice soldering required but no difficult parts and pretty straight forward. And also very cool to use, anything will work, patch it in and see Smile. I like BlobbLor, that will attract attention like bees on some honey Wink . And yes please keep that recorder ready, some of the best recordings are always when you least expect it.

There is a lot of activity on the Deathlehem forum going on, anyone interested in Lunetta's and a lot of general nonsense should definately sign up there. Today we actually managed to get the first ever international lunetta noise collab working via skype! Canada(Rykhaard) Australia(-minus) and Netherlands(me) making noise in real time Twisted Evil .

Little update:
A new sample, don't even know what I patched in. Around 70 patchwires and most of the modules used Smile.
A new board! Finally got to painting that new board I was talking about and finally added the mixer. Look at all that lovely empty space for new stuff.

HPIM1704.JPG
 Description:
mixer
 Filesize:  1.15 MB
 Viewed:  507 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

HPIM1704.JPG

21-07-2010 1's and 0's baby.mp3
 Description:
harsch noise, not for the faint of hearted

Download
 Filename:  21-07-2010 1's and 0's baby.mp3
 Filesize:  6.86 MB
 Downloaded:  1101 Time(s)

noise
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

INDEED that is harsh General T!

Listening now....

Sunrise soon! This Lunetta thing has overrun my life! AND YES... Have a click over to Deathlehem! We've been running amuck! I tend to hop between here and Deathlehem these days. Plenty of room over there for new members! Twisted Evil HA HA! This is a major recruiting drive on behalf of General Tjookum and the Lunetta Army of CMOS! Laughing
tjookum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

update:
2 new tracks
21-07-2010 Bajonet by Tropical Benny

29-07-2010 shifty sessions by Tropical Benny

noise
Draal

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like! Very Happy

Sounds like music from a jukebox at the Mos Eisley cantina. Cool

Ajax

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Draal wrote:
Sounds like music from a jukebox at the Mos Eisley cantina. Cool

Hahahaha, my friends and I just spent the last 2 nights staying up until 6am the morning watching all 6 movies. Really funny you mention that...

Great clips, General. Quite entertaining to see my dad's horrored face Very Happy
tjookum

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Quite entertaining to see my dad's horrored face Very Happy

hahaha, thumb up you just made my day.

noise
tjookum

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ive moved all the discussion and regular updates over to The Deathlehem Machine forum. But Ill also try to do a brief update here.

new vid:

And a new module, a 4069 dual triangle LFO. Painted in fancy pearl white and everything mounted on a 2x2 inch perfboard.

HPIM1715.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.83 MB
 Viewed:  484 Time(s)

HPIM1715.JPG

noise
electri-fire

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Radical video Tjookum! And the spraypainted module looks very neat and enigmatic.

tjookum wrote:
Ive moved all the discussion and regular updates over to The Deathlehem Machine forum.

I love the Deathlehem Machine forum, but I always get lost there. I finaly found the meaning of those icons before the topics:
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=587802

I must have disabled things on my laptop too much in my quest for "nonsense overhead prevention". Unread topics are supposed to be marked in red, but that is not the case Sad .
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tjookum wrote:
Ive moved all the discussion and regular updates over to The Deathlehem Machine forum. But Ill also try to do a brief update here.

Tjookum,
That is some seriously fucked up shit!!!!!
And I mean that in the nicest possible way!
I only got about 4mins in, and I knew I was not on this planet anymore.
You are the man. You are exploring whole new worlds which I can only imagine.
My hat is off to you!!!!

tjookum

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I love the Deathlehem Machine forum, but I always get lost there. I finaly found the meaning of those icons before the topics:
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=587802

I must have disabled things on my laptop too much in my quest for "nonsense overhead prevention". Unread topics are supposed to be marked in red, but that is not the case Sad .

Laughing It can be really confusing, I believe Rich was working on improving the markings for unread topics but so far no luck. I just look at the dates, but it is hard not to miss anything with all those subforums. The search function however is excellent and there is a huge amount of information there.

Quote:
Tjookum,
That is some seriously fucked up shit!!!!!
And I mean that in the nicest possible way!
I only got about 4mins in, and I knew I was not on this planet anymore.
You are the man. You are exploring whole new worlds which I can only imagine.
My hat is off to you!!!!

Thank you uncle krunkus, it's comments like these that motivate me to keep doing this stuff!
And I know what you mean by leaving the planet, with the lights turned off and this machine running at full power can be a really intense experience.

Ah that reminds me, I remember you were doing some amazing stuff with hallmark cards and triggers. I happen to have a really cool one with "twist and shout" by the Top notes, gonna try to hook it up to the lunetta.

If I would have a hat, it would be off to you too sir!

noise
tjookum

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I found your old topic again, here it is for reference: http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=greetingcard&t=40429

So I gave it a shot with my twist and shout greetingcard, and cheesy it works like a dream!

I was using my 4017/4066 sequencer wich is gating a hallmark musical greetingcard wich plays the song "twist and shout" by the Top notes. I used 2 oscillators and a xor gate to affect the timing resistor causing the pitched sound.

Going to see if I can pick up some more(or some other simple toys), this may be the beginnings of my new drummachine Cool .

noise
tjookum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tiny update,

a new recording for a track im working on

16-08 T is for terror 1.1.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  16-08 T is for terror 1.1.mp3
 Filesize:  6.99 MB
 Downloaded:  1044 Time(s)

noise
electri-fire

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

T is for terror 1.1 ? More beauty than terror for me. This is actually the most ( not meaning to offend, heheh...) "somewhat conventionally musical" pieces you uploaded. I like this one a lot. It has this "skanking groove" alongside a sort of psychedelic quality that takes me to realms of conciousness as the knob tweaking progresses.
Draal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I really like this piece, tjookum! Is this track planned for the cd mentioned over at Deathlehem? I think it's a keeper Cool !

I've yet to commit to getting something ready myself; but I do have some patches I'll be posting soon. If I can convince myself what I make is good Laughing

Please describe a little how you made this piece.

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Draal wrote:
I really like this piece, tjookum! Is this track planned for the cd mentioned over at Deathlehem? I think it's a keeper Cool !

I've yet to commit to getting something ready myself; but I do have some patches I'll be posting soon. If I can convince myself what I make is good Laughing

I think the idea of posting patches is excellent! It'd be VERY cool for one to post a patch and then have others trying to duplicate or 'cover' / 'remix' it! Very Happy

Right. Back to the Forum to create a sub-forum, just FOR that. Very Happy
Ajax

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I said it there, I'll say it here: this is one of my favorite lunetta samples ever.
tjookum

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
T is for terror 1.1 ? More beauty than terror for me. This is actually the most ( not meaning to offend, heheh...) "somewhat conventionally musical" pieces you uploaded. I like this one a lot. It has this "skanking groove" alongside a sort of psychedelic quality that takes me to realms of conciousness as the knob tweaking progresses.

No offense taken, it is the first time I really tried to make patch wich was somewhat musical and playable. One thing that really helps the psychedelic quality are the 556 oscillators that have a huge range and can really go into that screaming "almost" painfull area and ofcourse the XOR is doing it's part.

Quote:

Thanks Draal, and yes it is a practicce session for the deathlehem compilation cd that is due for 10-10-10. I've listened to it at least 4 times now and with a little editing this might be the one.

Whetever you make, it's bound to be good. Every single one of my patches is very different and can't wait to hear what you can do with yours.

My patch building proces is almost like painting, I start with a general idea and take it from there. Ill try to describe what I did:
-I started with the bassline/kickdrum sound. It is a 4046 VCO beeing controlled by a 4069 triangle lfo. The 4069's power supply is gated by a division from the 4040 to give it that hard edge feeling. Then it gets complex, I added a 4015 with data from the melodygen and clock from the same divider. The 4 bits are fed into a r2r and then combined with the gated triangle for the CV input of the 4046.
Clear as mud right? It goes further, I then placed an LDR/led combination to further control the 4046 frequency wich causes the higher pitched thumping sound.
-The second channel on the mixer is the "melody". I took the same divider output I used for gating the 4069 and patched that into the clock of the sequencer. The seq. controls 2 things, the ABC of the melodygen and a 4066 switch wich gates a oscillator. The output of the melodygen and the gated oscillator then go into a XOR gate and then straight into the mixer. I played around with the patchwires of the seq. during the entire track wich changes the melody.
-In the 2nd half of the track the melody channel gets XOR'd with the Kickdrum channel wich gave it a "clearer" sound and the screams near the end.
-The entire track is a live recorded lunetta, however I did cheat a little. I used 3 different effects in ableton live to give the sound more warmth and depth. I used spring reverb, analogue warmth amplifier and a EQ again tweaked for analog feel. Especially the spring reverb around 30% wet is very usefull for getting that warm feel and smoothing out the harsch sounds of a lunetta.

It's hard explaining something that just "happened" I don't think I would ever be able to recreate this let alone someone else. Ive added a photo but with wires running everywhere it's impossible to see what does what.

HPIM1733.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.2 MB
 Viewed:  286 Time(s)

HPIM1733.JPG

noise
Draal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the info tjookum!

I do get a better understanding of some of the sounds ; like the interplay with the 4046 vco and 4069 lfo. I definitely have to build these in the future. And I think effects add another layer, whether subtle or dramatic, to lunettas.

Thanks again!

-minus-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Been ages since I have posted here! The Terror track sounds great Tjookum!!! The stuff great Hammer horror movies are made from! Well done! Love the beat behind it all!
tjookum

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the explanation and discussion is over at TDM, but here is the second practice session for the compilation album:

23-08-2010 Shifty sessions2, Shaken and Stirred by Tropical Benny

noise
-minus-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great stuff Tjookum! Nothing much more to add from me. It's just that I noticed a new post here.... and every time I get to this page and scroll down, I see this comment by Krunkus:

Tjookum,
That is some seriously fucked up shit!!!!

HAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!!!!!! Now that's a COMPLIMENT!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
tjookum

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

just to upload tracks on the EM server for the radio

16-08 T is for terror 1.1.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  16-08 T is for terror 1.1.mp3
 Filesize:  6.99 MB
 Downloaded:  929 Time(s)

23-08-2010 Shifty sessions2.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  23-08-2010 Shifty sessions2.mp3
 Filesize:  13.91 MB
 Downloaded:  914 Time(s)

28-08-2010 Bitchshifter1.0.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  28-08-2010 Bitchshifter1.0.mp3
 Filesize:  6.02 MB
 Downloaded:  949 Time(s)

29-07-2010 shifty sessions.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  29-07-2010 shifty sessions.mp3
 Filesize:  9.22 MB
 Downloaded:  910 Time(s)

02-09-2010 Spooky Cheese.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  02-09-2010 Spooky Cheese.mp3
 Filesize:  3.6 MB
 Downloaded:  938 Time(s)

noise
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for posting, they are on the playlist now Cool
tjookum

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

a new sample, just some edited segments of a larger session pasted together. It's mainly a 4077 XNOR driven by 4 oscillators to make the snare-ish sounds and a melodygen later on in the tune. As always there is a lot more going on then I can possibly explain. Oh and yes, full springreverb on this one.

09-09-2010Liquidinspiration.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  09-09-2010Liquidinspiration.mp3
 Filesize:  4.95 MB
 Downloaded:  1027 Time(s)

noise
RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lol! Love it tjookum!

Great sounds!

bruce

"I want to make these sounds that go wooo-wooo-ah-woo-woo.”
(Herb Deutsch to Bob Moog ~1963)
Page 4 of 6 [145 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: