electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
<on air> EdisonRex Edison's Electronic Review
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » How-tos » Manuals, Instructions, and Documents
Send MIDI signal to switch bypass on/off??
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
clivemist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Send MIDI signal to switch bypass on/off??
Subject description: MIDI Signals and analogue
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, I'll just dive straight in with what I am trying to achieve..

I wish to receive signal from a MIDI source (eg My soundcard/sequencer/keyboard) and send it to my synth.

I have figured out how to change pitch, but I was wandering how to route analogue to digital switching via MIDI?

I am building a synth with built in effects and wish to control on off/bypass functions via MIDI with out having to buy a pre constructed midi converter.

I have found this schematic:

http://www.emusic-diy.org/Schematics/Misc/MidiCv?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=MIDITOCV.GIF

But am unsure as how to use this to effect the circuit in the desired way.

For example:

I have two oscilators.
These will be controlled via the CV/gate resistance(?)

BUT I also have 14 switches I wish to change via raw MIDI signal, so that I may switch a reverb on/off, or switch a distortion on/off in the same circuit.

I understand I could use a PIC and stamps to do this, but do not understand how to interface the midi signal in to the circuit to create the above result.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
clivemist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Have found this in my travels?

http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth/midi2cv.htm

and this:

http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth/gate_trig_mod.gif

Which is confusing me a little, would this mean I would only have one gate/CV per connection or could I duplicate the above system from the same output so that multiple triggers could be achieved??

Would that mean that I could receive MIDI signals via CC on the device? eg if I wished to control multiple I/O connections (for example, buttons that can be pressed for an action, or to switch a transistor in "Manual" mode, but then when operated by MIDI this is taken over by the function digitally?)

Please forgive my ignorance, I have only just started discovering what IC's etc can offer.
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 169

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi there and welcome to electro-music.com! welcome

Do the functions on the midi-enabled synth you are sending to appear as registered or unregistered parameters, or can you map a CC (continuous controller) event to it? I don't see why you need a midi to CV converter if you aren't using control voltages.

Home,My Studio,and another view
clivemist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EdisonRex wrote:
Hi there and welcome to electro-music.com! welcome

Do the functions on the midi-enabled synth you are sending to appear as registered or unregistered parameters, or can you map a CC (continuous controller) event to it? I don't see why you need a midi to CV converter if you aren't using control voltages.

Little confused..
There is no MIDI onboard, but that is what I wish to implement, IE so that when I trigger something in MIDI it closes the gate on that specific transistor?

eg. button 12, close gate on EQ, etc?

I dont know if that helps?
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 169

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, I see. You're wanting to implement either continuous control or some kind of mappable parameters via MIDI to control CVs. For some reason I was thinking the opposite.

I have a Kenton Pro-2000 Midi to CV convertor that I use for this sort of thing. It has 6 "auxiliary" CV outputs which you can map to any continuous controller, or a parameter. This can be made to work just fine.

There are other MIDI to CV convertors you could do, but you're on the right track, map a CC event to some kind of auxiliary CV out and you're laughing.

Home,My Studio,and another view
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos » Manuals, Instructions, and Documents
Jump to: