electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
My Andromeda will not stay in tune
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
bignose

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: My Andromeda will not stay in tune
Subject description: Tuning Problem
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had not used my Andromeda for a few months and when I switched on, I noticed that the tuning section was jumping around wildly and of course impossible to use.

Can anyone suggest what is going on as my best guess is that maybe I need to replace an internal battery.

Kindest Regards,

Bignose
pinealapoptosis

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When you say jumping all around do you mean its jumping back and forth between tuning parameters?

I wonder if dust in the pots cause this type of behavior. Since it sat around for awhile maybe try turning the knobs back and forth mutliple times and try spraying with some canned air.

I hope its just some simple problem like this,for your sake.

It shouldnt have anything to do with the internal battery.

Have you tried soft reset(soft button 4) or a hard reset(soft button 3) ?

It may also be a loose ribbon connector inside. As seen in this thread.
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-34333.html

SynthasaurusRex

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My Andromeda will not stay in tune
Subject description: Tuning Problem
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bignose wrote:
the tuning section was jumping around wildly and of course impossible to use.

If any part of your Andromeda is jumping around, your best bet may be to call an exorcist. Sorry, I couldn't resist. Embarassed
soundwave106

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If it was the actual *tuning* jumping around, the first thing I'd check is the pitch wheel. Mine has had a bit of an issue in the past where the pitch wheel wouldn't always center properly. It seemed to perform okay after cleaning the dust out of the synth.

If it was the values on the tuning menu jump around, check the pots and the ribbons.
systemlfo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject:  I Know How u Fekeel Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ive had my A6 for 6 years & It still suffers from the dancing osc tuning.
U can watch it bounce around in semi's before your eyes.
I thought I had discovered a solution - only for it return.
The only thing that helps is to introduce something new to the system like the unauthorized OS upgrade thats around. That will only postpone the problem.
I have no other solutions than to turn the osc pot back & forth 10 times, then the fine pots & the detune parameter in the unison menu, then reset the patch- this seems to help but it will return.
Cold weather seems to make it worse.
Seems to happen to 1 in 100 Andros.
Have drag it down to an authorized service pro one day ....
Sorry mate but we are the 1 in 100
PeteJames

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can this issue be fixed by vintage synth engineers or would they not be familiar with it since it's relatively new. I'm considering buying one but I don't want to be stuck with an instrument that may become a very expensive doorstop. I know they've been discontinued so I take alesis won't fix them so who else can?
soundwave106

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've heard of occasional pot scanning problems (knob values jumping around) being caused by the ribbon connectors in the synth being loose, I think. Some synthesizers also react that way when dust gets in the knobs -- not sure if that's the case with the Andromeda but it wouldn't surprise me. I personally haven't had that problem so I wouldn't mind others to chime in.
systemlfo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It will never be a door stop. Even one with a prob like mine is always a welcome addition to any studio.
The problem started not long after I bought it new. It now has moved to random amp env parameter movement .. (Dancing osc or env, not at same time)
I'm confident that its some kind of OS issue. Not software but maybe the OS chip.
I wouldn't let even the best open it up unless they r authorized by alesis to do so. Its audio components is pure analog but the digital control is beyond those that don't have direct access to alesis resources.
PeteJames

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for the replies. Mines all good. It's over 5 years old so I'd expect if there was anything wrong with it, it would have already happened. Should be alright, hopefully Very Happy
systemlfo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Solution !! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Big Nose !
Ive discovered a solution to our problem ...
Still interested ??
Wiseguy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution !! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am, what did you find out ?

systemlfo wrote:
Hey Big Nose !
Ive discovered a solution to our problem ...
Still interested ??
sunny pedaal

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bignose posted 1 post, probably makes a bignose to us all ?
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Jump to: