electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
TouchOSC controller
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: TouchOSC controller Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://hexler.net/touchosc

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.[/quote]

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I bought this.

And I also bought OSCulator to map to the Mac, various paths. I could just use the iPhone to be a mini-Lemur for Max/MSP but adding OSCulator seems to really open up a LOT of possibilities.

It is a bit zippery, since it's working through my WLAN to get to the MAC but I'm busily plugging at getting the mappings out. You get 4 pages of controls and you can make your own control sets with the editor.

I will bring at least the application to EM09, probably with a laptop capable of demonstrating it, with some soft apps on it. I'm actually quite impressed with it, especially it and OSCulator together. Less than $50 for what effectively is a Lemur, albeit a mini one.

Home,My Studio,and another view
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool. I can't wait to see what you come up with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I haven't got the energy up yet to use the CNMAT stuff for Max/MSP, so I've only worked with OSCulator, however the results have been pretty interesting. As a pad, this thing is great. No latency I can hear. Probably 20-30ms or so. There is zipping but I am now thinking that's OSCulator translating to MIDI, I will be working on this in order to have something demonstrable at EM09 (not that I have a slot to show it in, but I bet I can show it off).

Anyway, I'll have some stuff to show, which I will also publish here when I get good at it.

Home,My Studio,and another view
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You don't really need the CNMAT stuff in Max you should be able to do everything natively.

Unless you have a specific problem?
Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any update on using this?

I am writing a grant proposal for November to include a touch screen interface whereupon I can write a GUI replacement for Scrabble-to-MIDI, probably a novel game, and send the game move events over to the PC/Mac.

OSC would be fine as long as I can control the encoding. I can always sniff incoming packets on the receiving machine as needed. How are the visual "labels" in touchosc? How would you feel about laying out a game board with this?

Maybe to do a proper job of a GUI on an iPad I have to get an Apple developer license. I don't have a lot of free time for that, although it might be worthwhile learning how to write an iPad app.

If I can get our research grants committee to spring for both a Pacarana and a Lemur, I might consider that, but if not, the fallback would be to get them to pay for the Pacarana and roll my own touchable game GUIs on an iPad.

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've kicked around a few things with this. If you use the WiFi router to connect to your computer, you can get unreliable results. If you set up your computer as a point-to-point device, this works really very well. I haven't tried the editor yet. I've been having so much fun with the iPad music applications that I am losing interest on most other things. Someday, my live performance rig will possibly a few iPads and iPod touches - with a mixer.

My philosophy on your project would be to use, whenever possible, a cheap or commonly acquired device (iPad) instead of going for a Lemure. Your work would be more valuable to the community at large, and to your students in particular. On the other hand, getting a Kyma and letting your students learn about computer music with it would be superb for them. And, you will love it yourself.

BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Lemur is a good device, what you get is a highly user configurable control surface which is also scriptable in a C type language. Touch OSC by comparison is extremely basic.

Of course the iPad situation may change in the future but looking at Apples hatred of apps that contain any form of scripting or programming functionality it may be difficult to get the level of configurability that you get with the Lemur.

Delora software have released a nice set of apps for the Pacarana/iPhone/iPad and the Lemur that allow access to the VCS and MotorMix emulation, all are super quality: http://delora.com/delora_products/delora_products.html
Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the info, guys. I don't need to decide until late October, but since grants are hard to come by and always a crap shoot, I think I'll ask for both the Kyma and the Lemur. If they cut back the grant I'll buy an iPad with my own money, and if they grant the whole thing I'll buy an iPad with my own money a little later Very Happy

They serve two related but different sets of purposes, obviously. Also I am a big fan of scripting. I understand from a presentation at Intl. Computer Music Conf. in June that someone has ported a scripting language interpreter to iPad etc. (I forget which one -- I can find out), but that of course you can't post anything using it as an app. It's for research purposes only.

I think I may contact whomever owns Scrabble at some point (I think Parker Bros.) about spending a summer contracting to put Scrabble-to-MIDI on top of their current Scrabble app. I am not sure that I am ready to sign up for the work, but it would certainly force me to learn the programming environment in a big way. Also I plan to do some novel game-to-music design after Scrabble, and an app would certainly be an outlet. We'll see.

I want to get my hands on a Lemur, too. Best of luck to me with this grant!

Take care, Dale

Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
Jump to: