electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » electro-music.com » electro-music 2010
Request for your advice
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic

I would prefer to hear
Surround-sound theremin set with old material
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Improvised synthesizer set
50%
 50%  [ 4 ]
Equally interested in either
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
Equally dis-interested in either
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other (see comments)
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

kkissinger

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Request for your advice Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello to all.

Well, Murphy's Law has struck, it seems. I wanted to introduce a new work in my theremin set however my schedule has been pummelled with unexpected work. This morning I arrived at the office -- my message light was "on" -- and I have lost ALL of my evenings this week to work. This means little rehearsal time and no chance of completing the composition I've started.

So, I am faced with a dilemma. I can play a theremin set similar to what I've played in the past drawing on old repertoire and would be done in surround-sound.

Or, I can do an improvised (non-theremin) set on the Aries synthesizer -- which will be similar to what I've done on some of the streaming broadcasts. This would be in stereo, though -- I haven't yet been able to implement surround sound for Aries improvs.

Either way -- I'm kind of a nervous wreck -- wanting to do a quality set and not sure what to do.

The theremin sets have been well-received however I fear people will tire of hearing the same material again.

Thank you for taking a moment to respond to the poll -- your response will contribute to a quality result for my set on Friday.

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Request for your advice Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kkissinger wrote:
The theremin sets have been well-received

The aries sets you did on the radio here were most excellent too! So please don't let lack of confidence slip in there, whatever you may decide.

kkissinger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Request for your advice Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
The aries sets you did on the radio here were most excellent too! So please don't let lack of confidence slip in there, whatever you may decide.

Thank you.

This year, I will admit, I've been more focused on DIY module-building and not as much on composition.

One of the tough issues with electronic music is that one must wear many hats: hardware, software, composition, performing, etc. Often times the technical issues come to the fore and it is difficult (at least for me) to switch gears back to "musician" mode.

laura woodswalker

Audio files: 18

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Request for your advice Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kkissinger wrote:

One of the tough issues with electronic music is that one must wear many hats: hardware, software, composition, performing, etc. Often times the technical issues come to the fore and it is difficult (at least for me) to switch gears back to "musician" mode.

Hi Kevin!

Yeah, I like your message, I totally agree with you...there is so much to learn, do and create... I'm getting ready for my first set, and it's been crazy.... there are loops to set up, patches to modify, riffs to compose, and halfway thru I switched synths & had to learn a whole different piece of equipment!!!

I sympathize about not having nearly enough time! But you're so good that whatever you do, I"m sure it will sound great!

Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kevin,

Anything you are able to share with us, perform for us will be, for me at least, greatly appreciated. I just dig hearing you play.

Frankly, if you turned a coffee can over and banged it with a chicken bone, it'd probably start a new craze. You could throw gravel at street signs and make sound magically musical.

Relax and enjoy the weekend. Whenever you play, whatever you play...We do!

Dan
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kevin, I think whatever you're comfortable with, you should do. I could listen to your Theremin performances again and again. I am quite sure many people would agree.

Home,My Studio,and another view
modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 275
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd love to hear an improv on the Aries Smile
nobody

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I enjoy your work and am FAR from tired of it! Play on, my friend!
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not sure if I'll be able to make it again due to commitments, work and such....but what about doing some on both? Can your run the therimin into the Aries (or does it have midi out to control the Aries?)
nobody

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DES wrote:
Not sure if I'll be able to make it again due to commitments, work and such....but what about doing some on both? Can your run the therimin into the Aries (or does it have midi out to control the Aries?)

Even if it doesn't, he can always use a CV converter.
kkissinger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

audiodef wrote:
DES wrote:

Even if it doesn't, he can always use a CV converter.

Actually, there are two ways to interface a theremin into the Aries...

1) the Aries' pitch-to-voltage converter

2) from the theremin's CV out.

Few theremins have MIDI output, though.

With limited set up time, I am inclined to do either a theremin set or a synth set. One of my future projects will be to build a self-contained theremin/synthesizer -- something that is pre-patched -- in order to do synthesizer/theremin sounds. I appreciate the suggestion -- might try it out in the studio. The technique has definite potential.

At this point, I'm considering a synthesizer set because, due to the size of the Aries synth, I am not sure if I'll bring it with me next year. It contains many modules that you've read about on the forums here (the Mega Percussive Synthesizer, the Klee Sequencer, and a number of other DIY modules from Yusynth, CGS, and MFOS).

Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

modulator_esp wrote:
I'd love to hear an improv on the Aries Smile

I second this. As much as I love the Theremin+surround -- last year I spent your set lying on the floor on my back swimming in the sound -- improv is near and dear to my heart.

You did great as band director of the Pocono Electronic Jug Band Ensemble. Time for more new strangeness, I think Exclamation

DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kkissinger wrote:

Actually, there are two ways to interface a theremin into the Aries...

1) the Aries' pitch-to-voltage converter

2) from the theremin's CV out.

Few theremins have MIDI output, though.

With limited set up time, I am inclined to do either a theremin set or a synth set. One of my future projects will be to build a self-contained theremin/synthesizer -- something that is pre-patched -- in order to do synthesizer/theremin sounds. I appreciate the suggestion -- might try it out in the studio. The technique has definite potential.

At this point, I'm considering a synthesizer set because, due to the size of the Aries synth, I am not sure if I'll bring it with me next year. It contains many modules that you've read about on the forums here (the Mega Percussive Synthesizer, the Klee Sequencer, and a number of other DIY modules from Yusynth, CGS, and MFOS).

I was thining of the Moog theremin - Etherwave I believe. I know there are a few others out there... I was also thinking just process it's audio in the Aries - as a modulator or ??? In any case I hope I can get there...not looking too good though.. Sad

Tantroniq

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I dont think there is such a thing as tiring from too much quality theremin performance. I've never heard you! Look forward to it.

-T

nobody

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tantroniq wrote:
I dont think there is such a thing as tiring from too much quality theremin performance.

++! Cool
JEM

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Live Improv
Subject description: Aries Modular
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kevin, most of the modular performances I've seen were done in conjunction with sequencers and/or pre-recorded reel-to-reel tapes.

If you could do an improv that demonstrates the live, real-time performance capabilities of the Aries modular, it would be both enjoyable and informative.

JEM
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com » electro-music 2010
Jump to: