electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » MIDI Controllers and Interfaces
Any Midivox users out there?
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Billious

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Any Midivox users out there? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

I'm hoping there's a Midivox user out there who can help me with this problem. I've recently managed to get a MidiVox. It seems to be working, but it's still behaving strangely.

It has 2 output modes: (1) following every pitch nuance of your voice by using pitch bend messages, and (2) quantizing to the nearest note to what you've sung. I would've thought that in the 2nd mode there'd be no need for *any* pitch bend messages, but it always transmits stacks of them, creating a warble in what should be a steady note.

Is this normal behaviour, or is it faulty?

Cheers, Bill
MusicMan11712

Audio files: 148

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know anything about the midivox, but your post caught my attention. I tried looking for an online manual, but most of the ones google found were for accordians. I did find: http://www.healingmusic.net/MidiVoxQuotesFrame1Source1.htm#MidiVox%20Tech%20Specs

I assume this is what you have. I took a quick look and it would seem that a device like that would be putting out a ton of PB info. As I understand it, you use it to convert vocal pitch to midi pitch. If so, every time the vocal pitch changes in the slightest, new data would be transmitted (in mode 1). I would also assume that in quantize mode, the output would be note data only (unless you can fine tune it to any pitch, in which case I would expect to see rounded PB data).

Is there any difference at all between the output in the two modes? I suppose if I had one of those, I would measure the change in PB data. In the quantize mode is the data rounded at all while in the non-quantize mode is the data not rounded?

Again, I have no experience with this, but it looks very interesting!! I would like to see it in operation.

--Steve

PS: Do any of the review articles address the issue you raise? BTW, for $1295 list, I think you should ask the manufacturer.
Billious

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

G'day Steve, thanks for replying. Sorry for taking so long to answer you.

MusicMan11712 wrote:
I took a quick look and it would seem that a device like that would be putting out a ton of PB info. As I understand it, you use it to convert vocal pitch to midi pitch. If so, every time the vocal pitch changes in the slightest, new data would be transmitted (in mode 1). I would also assume that in quantize mode, the output would be note data only (unless you can fine tune it to any pitch, in which case I would expect to see rounded PB data).
Yep, that's how I understand it too.

MusicMan11712 wrote:
Is there any difference at all between the output in the two modes?
I haven't examined it that closely, but the fact that it's outputting pitch bend data at all whilst in the "quantized" mode makes me think now that it's faulty.

MusicMan11712 wrote:
Again, I have no experience with this, but it looks very interesting!! I would like to see it in operation.
I've been very interested since they were first released in '92. I managed to get this one on eBay with a friend. Hopefully, if we get it working and you happen to be passing through Geelong, Australia, you're most welcome to see it in operation. Smile

MusicMan11712 wrote:
PS: Do any of the review articles address the issue you raise? BTW, for $1295 list, I think you should ask the manufacturer.
Haven't read all the reviews, but I will ask the manufacturer - AFAIK that's now Healing Music - how I'd go about getting it repaired.

Cheers, Billious
MusicMan11712

Audio files: 148

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Billious wrote:
Hopefully, if we get it working and you happen to be passing through Geelong, Australia, you're most welcome to see it in operation. Smile
How about when you get it working and have some music to play with it, you can demo it on the Open Port here, preferably with a webcam, too? In any case, hope you can get it working the way it should soon.
--Steve
Billious

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MusicMan11712 wrote:
How about when you get it working and have some music to play with it, you can demo it on the Open Port here, preferably with a webcam, too?
I'd love to. Smile

MusicMan11712 wrote:
In any case, hope you can get it working the way it should soon.
Thanks for your good wishes, Steve. Happy music-making!
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » MIDI Controllers and Interfaces
Jump to: