electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Sequencers
Electribe & other sequencers
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
laura woodswalker

Audio files: 18

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:26 am    Post subject: Electribe & other sequencers Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I really love how the Electribe sequencer works... but it has a limited sound pallette. Since I am really into the idea of live music (as opposed to sitting at my desk with a computer), I am concerned that when doing an Electribe-based set, all the music is going to sound the same!

My plan is, once I have some spare time, I'm going to set up some multi-MIDI templates in Reason & see if I can use them thru the electribe. If I can do this with a laptop, maybe it would be a performance possibility!

Also...I may be getting some unexpected financial augmentation soon... Laughing Laughing Laughing so naturally my thoughts turn to Synths and musical gadgetry! I'm wondering what kind of sequencer upgrades I can get. What are some good sequencers that do what the Electribe does, only with way more sound/patch options?

I have been looking at the Korg Micro-sampler. It looks great, but I'm not sure if you can access/save a large library of playable sounds/patches.

I bought my used Electribe in Dec.09 and I'm already thinking about upgrades, Does everyone else in E-M have this short-attention span problem?

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Electribe & other sequencers Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

laura woodswalker wrote:
Does everyone else in E-M have this short-attention span problem?

err....yes! Laughing

What was the question again? Shocked Embarassed Wink

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"I bought my used Electribe in Dec.09 and I'm already thinking about upgrades, Does everyone else in E-M have this short-attention span problem?"

When you look for something you will never find it, when you look at something you never see it, but getting new stuff can make you forget these things and make you happy for a while.

So how about http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/maschine/
chupchups

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,

I have also an electribe and I get fed up using Ableotn Live (too many crashes Sad ) So like you I am thinking of taking an MASCHINE from NI... I will test it at the end of the month and take a decision... I was also thinking of KORE2 stuff ..let's see Smile
laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Korg MicroSampler vs. Roland 404SX Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been drooling over a Korg MicroSampler, but maybe I could do the same stuff with a Roland 404SX. What I want to do? Not hip-hop beats, just music that is ambient, but also has rhythm & keeps you awake!
I need another layer of sound texture to go with my Electribe and X-station. I guess what I want to do is "phrase capture" or maybe "latch".

Anyone have experience with the above gadgets?

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got a microSampler mostly because I like their new version of mini-keyboard, and I didn't feel like getting another subtractive synth (microKorg XL). It's fun to play with, but when you come down to it it doesn't really offer more than an Electribe SX (I have one of those too). It has a lot less tweakability (no dedicate knobs for pitch, start point etc), but they've rearranged how you triggered samples a bit. What it adds compared to the Electribe is polyphony (you can play several notes at the same time, I had fun sampling two guitar strings which were one octave apart - made for a nice dreamy zither-like sound) and velocity sensing.

For something more interesting sampling-wise, maybe one option is to wait for the budget to fill up, and get an Octatrack?

/Stefan

laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
I got a microSampler mostly because I like their new version of mini-keyboard, and I didn't feel like getting another subtractive synth (microKorg XL). It's fun to play with, but when you come down to it it doesn't really offer more than an Electribe SX (I have one of those too). It has a lot less tweakability (no dedicate knobs for pitch, start point etc), but they've rearranged how you triggered samples a bit. What it adds compared to the Electribe is polyphony (you can play several notes at the same time, I had fun sampling two guitar strings which were one octave apart - made for a nice dreamy zither-like sound) and velocity sensing.

For something more interesting sampling-wise, maybe one option is to wait for the budget to fill up, and get an Octatrack?

/Stefan

can you input your own sounds and textures (more than just a single note) to the electribe SX?

I have a huge library of nature sounds (crickets, birds) that I would like to put into a sampler. To use 'as is' and/or to chop into individual 'chirps' that could change in pitch across the keyboard, and to change in tempo. I think I could do it in Reason... I just don't like the idea of jamming with a computer. Could either of these machines do it?

Also, I love some of Reason's 'textural' sounds and would love to input them to a hardware sequencer as loops.

Also, is there any kind of MIDI sync in these machines to time-sync them with an electribe?

laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:

/Stefan

yeah, for the record, that's 1200 Euro's or 1500 dollars... Surprised

my budget is about 1/3 of that.

Antimon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

laura woodswalker wrote:
Antimon wrote:

/Stefan

yeah, for the record, that's 1200 Euro's or 1500 dollars... Surprised

my budget is about 1/3 of that.

Yeah, my point here is that, for its price, its hard to go any better than the Electribe you have. Sometimes it's better to save up for a proper piece of equipment (testing it thoroughly in shops first so you know you'll like it), than accumulating gear that you end up not being comfortable with. I'm not lecturing here, just explaining how it has turned out for me. Granted, no one has seen the final version of the Octatrack yet, so it may turn out to be useless junk, though I doubt it. Smile

I've loaded sounds into my Electribe via flash card. I forget what kind of flash card it is, but you'll need a card reader/writer on your computer, and it's slow and annoying as hell to load them into the Electribe, but doable.

laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:

Yeah, my point here is that, for its price, its hard to go any better than the Electribe you have.
I've loaded sounds into my Electribe via flash card. I forget what kind of flash card it is, but you'll need a card reader/writer on your computer, and it's slow and annoying as hell to load them into the Electribe, but doable.

I have the Electribe EMX--the synth, not the sampler. I don't think I can load sounds into that one.

So... I love it, but I'm really thinking about the Korg Microsampler! Because what I'd like to do is record actual riffs from my other synths & use them as samples.

Antimon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

laura woodswalker wrote:
Antimon wrote:

Yeah, my point here is that, for its price, its hard to go any better than the Electribe you have.

I have the Electribe EMX--the synth, not the sampler. I don't think I can load sounds into that one.

So... I love it, but I'm really thinking about the Korg Microsampler! Because what I'd like to do is record actual riffs from my other synths & use them as samples.

doh

Then by all means check out the microSampler. Sorry for not making any sense.

twisted-space

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Might be worth looking at a Korg Kaoss Pad 3. It's an fx processor and phrase sampler. It works rather nicely alongside an EMX1.
glow worm

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Coming late to this thread, I know, but FWIW I agonised for weeks over the "What Electribe?" problem, a couple of years ago.

In the end, I solved it by buying an Akai MPC 500 Wink

laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: samplers, electribe etc Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well a year has gone by...I did buy the Microsampler...but now I put it on Craigslist to sell it. The chief reason is that it does not have nearly enough memory to actually store loops like I wanted. Only 160 seconds total per bank!! What were they thinking? When trying to upload sample phrases that are 1 or 2 measures, I get a message that "memory is full". Even when my samples don't nearly add up to 160 seconds. I don't get that.

Having not found a gadget that does what I need, I decided to bite the bullet and go with Ableton and MIDI controller like everyone else!

I did buy the SLMKII--world's most awesome MIDI controller (I haven't tried any of the others of course.)

Haven't bought the laptop yet though. I thought first I'd learn how to use the aforementioned things. And get some money together.

revtor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know that you're on your way, but a rackmount sampler + a Yamaha RM1X would cover your bases. If you decide to venture back to all hardware..

The RM1X is a great, and simple and capable MIDI sequencer with a ton of (so so) sounds built in, and the sampler can of course hold whatever you want it to. You could get this going for $500 easily.

My other thought woudl be to get an MPC1000 or 2500 with the JJo.s. Very powerful, all in one for about $6 - 900

have fun!
~Steve

laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

revtor wrote:

My other thought woudl be to get an MPC1000 or 2500 with the JJo.s. Very powerful, all in one for about $6 - 900

have fun!
~Steve

Yeah those AKAI and MPCs were really on my radar. I guess in the end I just decided on software because of the versatility. Whether I wanted arps, loops, samples, effects... software could do it all. Sorry, hardware.

laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:

When you look for something you will never find it, when you look at something you never see it, but getting new stuff can make you forget these things and make you happy for a while.

Yeah usually I bought a gadget after a relationship crash.

But now something good happened: I sold my house!! So I wanted to celebrate with some shiny new Gear! Frinstance, that Kaoss Quad that has the blinky lights. Laughing

Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Sequencers
Jump to: