electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Reaktor
Reaktor MIDI
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
play

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reaktor MIDI Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a repost of a question Dovidimus sent me:

Dovdimus Prime wrote:

Just wanted to pick your brain quickly if that's okay. You mentioned you use Reaktor - I've heard a lot of good stuff about Reaktor and am quite interested in using it. But do you know if the instruments you design in Reaktor can be controlled using an external MIDI sequencer program, or do you only have the option of using an integral sequencer?

Thanks if you can help - this would help me out a lot!

play wrote:

You definitely can. Each instrument in reaktor can get it's own midi channel assignment and you can set knobs, buttons and faders as CC's. The midi learn function also works really well. Just about anyhting that can be done with midi you can do with reaktor. It has progam change and song position modules as well as your usual note/gate/cc

These are the programs I know reaktor will work with:
Buzz (sort of laggy)
Sonar
Cubase
Live

But it should work with any midi-enabled device/software. Reaktor 4 also comes as a VST instrument so you can use your favorite VST-enabled sequencer to host it. You can also sync Reaktor with an external clock which is handy for loop-based operations. Or, though this is pretty rare in software these days, Reaktor also supports OSC for network clock sync and transfer of data. Reaktor can act as a MIDI passthru for other devices as well. You can make some pretty wicked midi effects with this software.

Do you mind if I copy this message into the Reaktor forum? Perhaps others can benefit from it.

Dovdimus Prime wrote:

Thanks for your thorough answer, it's much appreciated!

You really know your onions when it comes to MIDI stuff. Where did you learn that shit?!

Yes, please copy this to the forum.

To answer that last bit I just learned by messing around. MIDI seemed like a looming nightmare when I first got into it and now I laugh at myself for having been so intimidated. It's pretty simple. Only a few kinds of messages and a limited range of values. For a thorough working over check out the MIDI technical fanatics brainwashing center
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this is kind of on topic with a "wall" i ran into some time ago while building a reaktor insturment interface. I've got a bunch of buttons that respond to different MIDI notes (for ptich), but I want to OR gate all of these signals to use with the Envelope gate. (such as that when any MIDI note on is received, the gate is triggered regardless of pitch). So....any idea what modules/macros I should use to OR gate / MIX all these midi note signals to a single gate input?
play

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well i'm not sure I understand exactly what you are saying but...

If this is all in one instrument then just use the gate module
(Insert Module->MIDI In->Gate)
That'll give you every gate signal coming in on the MIDI channel that the instrument is set to. You can have as many of them as you want in an instrument. And put them in macros, etc.

Does that help or is this a cross-instrument thing?
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i suppose you could consider this cross instrument...I have built a virtual control interface in the reaktor panels, so the actual sound making synthesizer needs to respond to the MIDI notes and gates created by using that interface AND external hardware devices. The gate part I have figured out...its the notes/pitch that is the problem. I don't know how to combine/switch between a bunch of pitch constants in reaktor when the appropriate gate turns on.

I suppose this would be a lot easier if I posted an example. This weekend I will try to make a simplified version of the instrument to demonstrate the issue. (it is hairy to look at right now...too much repition of simple mechanisms that would be better to work with broken down). It is really one simple function that I will later reproduce many times in the instrument; a problem of interfacing a panel control scheme to any device/macro/module that makes sound.

thanks for the feedback
play

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So you just need to switch between constant values depending on the midi note?
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Reaktor
Jump to: