electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » How-tos
How to? : Feedback looping, Soundfiles included.
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
alexkarlsen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:32 am    Post subject: How to? : Feedback looping, Soundfiles included. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi!

Great forum! I was wondering if anyone knows how to get similar kind of sounds as in some of the links i´m posting. I´m pretty new with these kind of sounds, but I got a pretty good understanding of Ableton, so excuse me if this is something I should already know. I´ve been searching the web for weeks to try to find a way to create those sounds.

What i´m looking for is the "pad" sound... Personally, i think it´s feedback looping with reverb. I might be wrong, because whatever I do, I can´t seem to make it sound like that.

If anyone knows how to pull of this technique, preferably i Ableton Live, I would love to get a "tutorial", or even just a little hint.

(As I said, this one is def feedback looping with reverb, but does anyone know how to pull it of in Ableton?)

http://www.youtube.com/user/ReturnToSound#p/u/121/DBaFxuoeMk8

( what is the sound that creates the atmosphere/pad in this one, (you can hear it clearer in the beginning and at the end) is that feedback looping? Hints in Ableton?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVSEIMza7O4&feature=related

If it´s not feedback looping, does anyone know what other technique it might be?

Thanks! I would really appreciate your help!

Alex.

PS: Sorry for the poor english, it´s been a while since I have written in something other than my mother language.
robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Simple feedback is done using a microphone and speaker, but that is not advisable, at least not on high volumes, so you need something that tames it somehow, like a limiter. Distortion/overdrive can also act as a limiter, and adds righ overtones to the sound, affecting it in other ways too. You can also put a delay, 100% wet, with no internal repeats, in the feedback loop, effectively slowing it down so it becomes easier to handle.

If you have a mic you can easily set up these effects in Live. You can also do feedback internally in some software and hardware, and it can be an effective tool in creating nonlinear, or "interesting" sounds which do not always behave in a predictable manner.

That said, these examples you have posted are probably not strictly feedback loops. The first one may be (ok it probably is since he says so) but it also has an audio sample triggering it ("psaltery loop" - which is a stringed instrument). The second example has no feedback in it whatsoever, if you ask me. The atmospheres are synth sounds which you can program in a wide variety of synths - there may also be some samples involved, and some sounds have hi resonance filter sweeps on them - resonance is effectively feedback, espescially analogue filter resonance.

If you decide to do some experiments of your own, make sure that you have quick access to the volume knob on your amp - or some way of killing the loop if it gets out of hand - it can easily damage your speakers and hearing if not controlled properly.

robsol
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...og velkommen til electro-music forresten! Smile Cool
alexkarlsen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Takker!

Just what I was looking for! Resonant filter! Great!

Another thing, do you know how to use this technique

http://emusician.com/tutorials/emusic_extreme_resonance/ (part nr 3. "broken glass") on a audio sample?

You can listen to it here

http://emusician.com/web_clips/SDWAUG06WC03.mp3

I´ve got the Soundtoys filterfreak VST, and i´m trying to find a way to get those "percussive effects" (like in the mp3 above) controlling the filter cutoff.

If it´s not possible on a sample, would you know how to create it with for example Operator in Ableton or another freebie synth vst?

I really really appreciate your help, and that you´re taking your time! Thank you very much!

(I´m writing in english, so that other people may benefit from this thread...)

Alex
robsol
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Most synths will have a "sample and hold" LFO, also called Random or something similar. If you make this control the filter frequency (or cutoff) with a high resonance setting, you will get that effect. You can route anything through the filter, depending on the synth you use of course. A plugin could do the job too, there are tons of free ones out there.

Sorry for late reply, I missed your answer.

Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos
Jump to: