electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » electro-music.com » electro-music 2010
Second Life Survey
Page 1 of 2 [37 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
shivasongster

Audio files: 20

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject:  Second Life Survey
Subject description: Call for ideas, suggestions for workshop content
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi folks,

From what I understand, there have been Second Life presentations before. What ground has been covered? What would you like to see/hear this time?

Initially I hope to have some connectivity so we can do a demo in a venue I work with "in world" - but I do not know the knowledge base of this group, or if indeed folks feel this is still a relevant topic. In fact, part of my presentation will address that very idea from a small study I did with my own projects for a class in media studies.

Please contact me via the list or privately if you have thoughts on SL and electronic music, performance challenges, attracting an audience, etc.
MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Second Life Survey

shivasongster wrote:
Initially I hope to have some connectivity so we can do a demo in a venue I work with "in world" . . . .

I know very little about "Second Life." By "in world" are you referring to a venue in the real world, or is "in world" that same as saying "in Second Life" (or "in SL")? Just curious. --Steve
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I moved the topic as it doesn't seem to be related to the electro-music 2010 festival .. hmm .. was I wrong?
MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
I moved the topic as it doesn't seem to be related to the electro-music 2010 festival .. hmm .. was I wrong?
I think you are right. Assuming that shivasongster was putting out feelers moving in the direction of organizing a festival (either a real or a virtual festival), it makes more sense to have it in the "Discussion" section. When a festival will indeed take place (at a specific time and place), perhaps that's when the announcement of it and a call for participants should move from "Discussion." And clearly, it does not seem related to EM-2010.
At least that makes more sense to me.
--Steve
modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 275
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think shivasongster is Jeremy dePrisco who is due to do a seminar on Making Music in Second Life at em 2010

http://event.electro-music.com/

MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

modulator_esp wrote:
I think shivasongster is Jeremy dePrisco who is due to do a seminar on Making Music in Second Life at em 2010
You appear to be correct as per http://www.shivasongster.com/audio2/.

Does that mean the post was related to EM2010? I couldn't tell from the post itself, but if so, its kinda like Tantroniq doing a session on creativity and having a discussion there about the upcoming session. Thanks for providing some important info to help clarify the original post. --Steve
mrspiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Second Life Survey

shivasongster wrote:
Hi folks,

From what I understand, there have been Second Life presentations before. What ground has been covered? What would you like to see/hear this time?

Initially I hope to have some connectivity so we can do a demo in a venue I work with "in world" - but I do not know the knowledge base of this group, or if indeed folks feel this is still a relevant topic. In fact, part of my presentation will address that very idea from a small study I did with my own projects for a class in media studies.

Please contact me via the list or privately if you have thoughts on SL and electronic music, performance challenges, attracting an audience, etc.

Wow, someone else doing SL concerts here! I wonder how many others there are? I assume Dennis Moser and Tony Gerber are here... others?

I can't be at the electro-music event, unfortunately, but I've been doing shows in SL for over 3 years now. We should compare notes at some point. I've found it rewarding in some ways and very frustrating in others, to the point where I don't spend a lot of time even thinking about playing online, much less doing it.

mike

prime mover, atomic city / mindSpiral
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok .. i moved it back .. leaving a copy in schmooze too .. sorry for any confusions I may have caused.
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dang! What a hot and juicy thread I've been missing. I am doing radio broadcasts both into and out of Second Life. I have several configurations including stuff like the option of sending what the SL audience says into the stream, internet looping, and live synthesizer performances.

I now spend about as much time in SL as I do in RL, often struggling to stay awake just one more hour for a little time with my SL girl or some other fun in-world. In SL there are real people in virtual situations that basically amount to fantasy. I am a poor man, but in SL I have an island with an exotic concrete dome architecture that I built myself and not one but two faithful girlfriends of all things possible. The music is just icing on the cake.

Les

shivasongster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: SL Survey is for the event in Sept Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This forum is a bit frustrating. I see there have been a number of posts to my topic. In addition to not getting emails about these, many of them appear to have misinterpreted the purpose of my post.

I will be presenting an SL workshop at the electro-music conference in Sept. Is there no common link between this Forum and the conference/festival?

Can we put my post back into the festival subforum?
shivasongster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Second Life Survey

mmetlay wrote:

s and very frustrating in others, to the point where I don't spend a lot of time even thinking about playing online, much less doing it.

mike

This is an important aspect of the topic, and I agree. Sometimes it is very frustrating. I've been doing this for a few years as well, off and on. Continually trying to get a better experience for listeners and myself, and it is a challenge when you have so little control and so much technology.
shivasongster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject:  SL Followup Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the responses regarding my inquiry for the SL workshop. I may contact some of you off-list for more input - simply because I find the digest (and this forum) is a bit chaotic. Then I can post some summaries later as things come together. My notifications aren't working here, even though they are on, so if you have something to contribute for Sept please contact me directly.

Right now I am planning on a demo of sorts, provided I have connectivity. If a projector was available, that would be great too (I do not have my own). One of my collaborators, Stephen Schrum (aka Phorkyad Acropolis in SL) will probably assist me with the use of his venue and setting up an audio stream. He has asked if it is possible to stream our discussion into SL so he can pull some people in from that side - worth considering.

Some of my SL background is here:
http://www.mindspeak.com/sl.htm

Though, that is in need of a serious update as I move my content to shivasongster.com, and does not include the ethnography I did for a media influence class. I can pull some literature review from that if you like, but I do not think we want to make this too academic. I'm much more interested in practical application.

There are many DJs and solo singer-songwriters in SL, but the live-performance of electronic music is a gray area. I am particularly interested in what others have found in this area. Another aspect I will cover is the technology needed and issues I've encountered. You really need to be willing to let go of sound quality in many ways as streams are unpredictable and crashes are pretty normal (at least they were last time I was heavily involved). I started in SL on the PC platform, but have also used Mac and have even combined the two - running plugins on one machine while running the SL app and stream on another device. But we'll save the specifics for the workshop.

----------------------
Jeremy dePrisco - Composer, Writer
jjdmac@mindspeak.com
www.shivasongster.com
www.mindspeak.com

Visit me on Facebook too!
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am sure your SL talk will be appreciated at EM10. Tony Gerber held a discussion group about SL at EM08 which was very interesting. I think even more people will be interested this time around because the popularity of SL has grown over the last two years.
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
shivasongster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Electro-Music 2010 Second Life Conference Handouts
Subject description: Electro-Music 2010 Second Life Conference Handouts

Thanks to all who attended my Second Life workshop at electro-music this year. Here’s the handouts.

http://www.shivasongster.com/PDF/EM_SL_Handout.pdf

http://www.shivasongster.com/PDF/Chain_Streaming.pdf

dalekay

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

reading the thread here, it looks like a few have experimented with it, I know Mike has spent some time with it (other group talk) but ...
other than the few here ... any more?
even as visitors?

In my area, it is getting hard and harder to do a live performance. Due to most of the places being closed and those open, well they only work with those who do the voice to tv loud singing or djs or nada. Live is limited to country or the same old rock standards such as Mustang Sally ... how many times can you listen to that? Other places are pay, which I find myself doing more and more of lately. Paying to rent out a place to play. Not too bad considering I often record these things anyway but again the but, it is rather limited. Second Life does give a few places already in place to play or you can build your own.

From what I read here, that build it yourself or time spent in, can be a lot. But does it lead to actual people tuning in to your work?

Who else here?

dalekay

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here is a link that can give further info
http://email.secondlife.com/servlet/formlink/f?kJgKtMQYTA
dalekay

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I poked at second life for a few weeks. I was not very happy with what I found in there. Music wise, I am not sure it will work out for us, on many levels. I also let it go for a week now to return this week again to give it a few more chances. With out a long diatribe on it, lets say most places I stumbled upon was not PG. Then pointing fans to where we would be playing who might not have all that experince in SL to attend. Question

Not to say we have not ruled it out 100%. A few I have talked too as telling me that they are making some $ in there. A soda and or coffee perhaps?

Any here, do contact me before I give this either a full throttle or full retreat.

Dale
nobody

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I checked out SL once, briefly, and it seemed to me at first to be a hook-up site. I see I'm quite wrong about this. Maybe I should check out the music scene there.
dalekay

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I do not think you are too far off on the hook up ... Rolling Eyes

Dennis Moser seems to be doing ok there. He has gave me a few slaps on my rant on it on the facebook. I have yet to catch him there or know where yet he is playing.

At one time Mike Metlay was doing something with it too. Unknown if he still is?
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Second Life has streaming audio and ten-second sample playback, plus some limited audio in gestures and such. Not very promising. I have, however, figured out a way to form a bridge between SL and the music scene. This would consist of creating a driver that receives HTTP packets and sends them out as MIDI or OSC. Such a job would be trivial for the right person but is beyond my grasp.

If someone were to develop such a driver, then the entire world of music software becomes suddenly "bolted on to" SL, and vice versa. I'd be willing to code the SL part of this. There is some small potential financial gain to be had here, but that's usually minor. If you would like to learn more about this, please contact me.

Les

nobody

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds like a great idea, Les!
Ganzha

Audio files: 27

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Second Life
Subject description: How I do in live in SL

I have some experiences
At first I have found a groups in SL who involved in in-live musician and performer then start send ADS into this group. finally i found some venue owners, but only one was glad to allow me to perform my experientals and I have got a stage weekly during some months. I got time slot for 0ne hour and I have got a audiences but in SL. but most of music performers are just a singer who plays with guitar or similiar, I have got not enough audiences to continue and my venue owner cancelled our deal.
That is shame for me

Ganzha

Audio files: 27

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: About SL
Subject description: thinking about SL

I have to say that at first times I have got a 20-30 audiences but then - les and less but comments was great ( I mean feedback was cool enough)/// I dont know how to attract people to my performances....in SL possibly I have to have some kinda Agent who could promote me //// axactrly how it should be in Real Life
dalekay

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wonder if some of the land owners here would be so kind to set up a stage just for us since ... A idea I am planting for sure.

Here is another seed, I left a message already to a member here already that has some land but has also played the radio here via SL, if I understood that right. I think it would be wonderful if the New Years 5th was played live in SL as it happens. I did ask for my performance to be done that way but I think I would like to see that expanded to the whole list of performers for that day !

I do not have funds laying around to buy land yet for SL or even the time to learn how to script such things. I tossed my programming hat away a while back and I rather spend time doing that code work in the music area with my synths .. odd creature I am ... (has something to do with the day job too) but I think just like here, a team effort could happen to expand Electro Music ...

I know, glad hands and well wishes .. where is the beef? / cash to make this so ...

Dale

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We can set up on my land, it's in Historic Selby region across from the Anglican Catholic church and also near the oldest pub in SL, The Elbow Room. I have the ground area set up as a playground / amusement park but there is plenty of open space to set up a stage.

I also know a little bit about promoting things. One time i put in an events advertisement on the SL website and like 30 people showed up for a Christian art gallery showing. Not that that would happen, but might get a few stragglers.

I'm a builder and scripter now so i can create the stage and effects pretty well, just stop by my property and we'll look around for a place to gather.

Les

Page 1 of 2 [37 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com » electro-music 2010
Jump to: