electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
UFO SiGHtiNgS !!!!
Page 5 of 6 [140 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
matrix

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep, the matrix "patchbay" on top and bottom are actual sliders. I played with the one in Synthorama in Switzerland. The sliders had a mechanical feel to them if I remember correctly and kind of slotted into each position rather than being smooth in transition if that makes sense. I also saw the very first prototype 2500 at the New England Synth Museum.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was offered a wing and a main unit a few years back for a stupidly cheap price (about £3000), but I had nowhere to put it! Crying or Very sad

Oh well, computers are the future! Rolling Eyes Wink

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

matrix wrote:
I like the third shot here better:

http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2009/09/billy-corgans-ichabod-delivered.html

Be sure to click the image for the full size shot.

The heat will never turn on with that thing placed right next to the thermostat Wink
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I believe they're actually slide switches on the 2500, rather than slide pots, if I'm not mistaken.

In Close Encounters, the guy operating the synth was an ARP employee, whose name escapes me, and who recently, I believe, passed away. Can't remember his name, but I'm sure Matrix could pop it off the top of his head.....

Flevo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That was Phil Dodds, He had to deliver the set and was persuaded to act as operator in the movie
just read in analog synthesizers written by Mark jenkins
matrix

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep, slide switches! That's what they were. You could feel them "click" into place.
pyrosonic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

matrix wrote:
Yep, slide switches! That's what they were. You could feel them "click" into place.

That's very interesting,I never knew that.To look at them,they look just like the EMS pin matrix.(in a photo,at least)
Apparently they didn't work all that well,having a bit of crosstalk.I'd bet they also have lots of problems with bad connections after all these years.Nice idea,eliminating patch cords obscuring the modules,but perhaps that's part of the modular mystique,eh?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Whorlweaver/133469163426410
1:11

Audio files: 109

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mmmmmm...slide switches!! me likey!! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So last night i was watching Ancient Aliens (go figure) on the History Channel and they were talking about Underground Dwellings and the myths of ancient peoples... how some cultures claim they went and lived underground. The Hopi Tribe have these stories, and claim that visitors from space assisted them during global catastrophies...and i got to thinking.....

i had spent time living in HopiLand on the 3rd Mesa and learned a good bit about the culture. There was supposed to be a flood or ice age and the Hopi went to live in the caverns in the Grand Canyon. When they started coming back above ground, the first being they came in contact with was Maasaw.
Maasaw is described as travelling in a small red floating glowing orb just like these ones people are reporting now, and that i seen as a kid. Hmmm. Crazy.

A note: The 3rd Mesa isnt on the power grid, so i brought a boombox... Autechre sounds freakin incredible in the middle of nowhere!! Razz
nobody

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1:11 wrote:

A note: The 3rd Mesa isnt on the power grid, so i brought a boombox... Autechre sounds freakin incredible in the middle of nowhere!! Razz

Noice!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Almost been a year since first posting this thread....updates......

BlueHell was right!! The "red orbs" floating around my hometown were just Chinese lanterns. Seems to have gotten to be a common prank the last few years. But i can say...what i seen as a kid was NOT a lantern!!

My bandmate swears he seen a UFO while we were outside smoking a cigarette together. He said it was white, huge, and then it disappeared into itself.
i didn't see it directly, but there was a flash of pure bright light that lit up the entire backyard. i thought it was lightning, but the sky was clear.
Thinking the Chances are good that it was a large meteor though.

The Black Triangles other people and i have been seeing are likely to be explained as a military craft.
Nasa was testing a craft that looks quite similar to a black triangle and can reach speeds of Mach 20!!!
That's New York to LA in 12 minutes!!

Here's a link:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/08/11/scitech/main20091239.shtml?tag=contentMain;contentBody

etc.
emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I count myself a skeptic where UFOs are concerned. But by skeptic I mean I'm skeptical about not only the authenticity of UFO reports (and especially about claims of them being alien in nature), but also skeptical about those who debunk UFOs out of hand.

I think there's enough weird shit reported that it warrants true investigation, but feel that most UFO investigations are inherently flawed because the people doing them either are sloppy amateurs, have predetermined beliefs that bias their work, or are people seeking sensationalism for their own gain (attention seekers hoping to stumble on the smoking gun so they become famous)...or a bit of all 3 combined.

But like I said, true skepticism applies the same doubt and insistence upon logic and proof when looking at the claims of debunkers, who are often more infuriatingly narrow sighted and biased by predetermined belief systems than the believers.

All that being said, and while I've never seen anything inexplicable (except once as a child when I was so unsure of what I saw that it's not worth going into here), I did have one pretty odd experience back in the late 80s when I was living with 2 friends.

The house we were in was a single story rancher with 3 bedrooms. Coming off the living room was an L-shaped hallway. Part way down the hallway were 2 doors on opposite sides of the hall, Friend #1's bedroom was on the right, the bathroom was on the left. A little farther on the hallway bent to the left with the door to my room straight ahead. At the end of the hallway after the bend was the door to Friend #2's room.

It was very early spring, too early for planting, and that year I was planning on doing an herb garden with herbs grown from seed. At the foot of my bed I had a little shelf upon which my sprouted herbs were kept under a grow light, which I kept on 24/7. Normally the light didn't bother me, but this one night I was awakened, I thought, because the grow light was just too bright and it was keeping me awake.

I sat up in bed to reach down and shut off the light, but when I was about halfway up, my arm reached out toward the foot of the bed, I got stuck there. I couldn't move. I couldn't sit up any farther, nor could I lay back down. Couldn't turn my head or even my eyes. I thought maybe I was dreaming, but I was fully conscious and I started to kind of panic.

Then, out of the corner of my eye, over at my bedroom doorway, I saw motion: small dark shapes about as high as a child moving past my room and on toward the door of Friend #2. Another little dark shape was standing still in the doorway and seemed to be watching me. I couldn't turn my eyes to get a look at them, my vision was limited to peripheral vision only.

Well, that scared the shit out of me and I struggled more and more to move, but was stuck like a statue. Suddenly a calm voice sounds in my head, though no sound is heard in the room. "It's OK, we don't want you." It says. "It's OK," I think, "they don't want me." And suddenly I just surrendered and sunk back into my bed and went immediately to sleep.

Next morning, I get up a bit late and have to rush to get ready for work. Friend #1 is rushing around, too. Like me, he had gotten up past his normal time. Friend #2 was nowhere to be seen. His door was still shut, his car still in the driveway. Friend #1, said Friend #2 wasn't feeling well and wasn't going to work that day. We all worked at the same place and were in a band together. Friends #1 and #2 were not really on good terms with each other. Come to think of it, I wasn't on the greatest terms with Friend #2 either...the band was near its break up.

Anyway, Friend #1 and I rushed around and went off to work together. In the car I couldn't wait to tell him about my "dream", which had seemed like much more than a dream. But he wouldn't let me, he was too eager to tell me his own....

He said that late the night before he had woke up needing to use the bathroom. He walked out of his room naked (the bathroom was just across the hall), but as soon as he stepped out into the hallway, he was startled to find that a brilliant blue light was coming from the living room. He walks into the living room to see what was up, only to find that the front door was wide open and the light was coming from outside. Naked though he was, he felt drawn toward the light, and he steps out the front door..."And then I just started screaming" he told me. And that's all he remembered.

Needless to say, the old chill went up my spine and I'm sure his reaction to my "dream" was much the same. We decided that once we got home that evening, we'd not say anything to Friend #2 and just see what he told us.

I was expecting just to hear that he wasn't feeling well and that would be the end of it. But when we got home, Friend #2 was still in his dressing gown and was acting like he'd just gotten out of bed. We kept quiet about our stories and just asked him what was wrong. He said that he just hadn't slept well. He said he had kept having strange dreams. In the dreams he found himself in a bright light and felt like he was floating horizontally above his bed, then he was tipping from horizontal to vertical and that his feet must be passing through his bed, but when he looked he was somehow outside. Then he must have fallen back to sleep, but was later awakened as he was floating, horizontally again, through his bedroom window. Then he settled back down on the bed.

Friend #1 and I just kind of looked at each other with mouths hanging open. I'm not sure why, perhaps it was because of the tensions between us at the time, but we silently agreed not to ever tell Friend #2 about our experiences. Privately later on we speculated that maybe the guy was a maladjusted dick because of "outside" influences in his life.

Friend #2 moved out a short time later when he broke up the band. We never did tell what we experienced.

...Now...I'm completely aware of sleep paralysis and would be prepared to write off my experience as just that if it weren't for the fact that there were 2 other people who had different experiences than I had, but experiences that dovetail into one consistent and non-sleep paralysis related tale. What actually happened? I don't claim to know. It sounds a lot like the abduction stories you hear. But I'm not prepared to call it that. All I actually saw was vague shapes moving at the edge of my vision. All Friend #1 saw was a bright light. And Friend #2 didn't see anything specific. So nothing about it was inherently alien. It was totally, totally odd, strange and scary. But that doesn't make it alien (or black ops military, or demonic, or any other conspiracy theory/paranormal conclusion you could draw from it).

I think the most definitive thing I can say is that something strange probably happened that night. But I'll never know exactly what.

robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One day, incidentally, i hope to be classified as a UFO.
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Muied Lumens wrote:
One day, incidentally, i hope to be classified as a UFO.

A pity we won't know it. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing Won't know it Laughing

Thanks for sharing emdot!!
It was quite an interesting story, especially since it happened late enough in your life to remember it well.
-i'm wondering though, what color was the light?
-Also, did this happen in an area where there are fault lines (major or minor)?

etc.
emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As for the light, I think Friend #1 said it was blue. All I remember was that I was awakened initially because of an intense light that I believed to be my grow lams. No color in particular associated with it. Friend #2 just said a bright light, as far as I remember.

And, no, there are no fault lines close by. It was in Frederick Maryland in a residential area with small single family homes. Behind these homes is a townhouse/apartment complex and then the meeting of two major roads from Washington DC (Rt 270) and Baltimore (Rt 70).

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

emdot_ambient, that's a great story. Thanks for sharing it with us. I assume you would have mentioned if you were taking acid or something in previous days. My bias towards skepticism of aliens doing this sort of thing makes me think that maybe some sort of psychoactive substance, such as ergot, unknowingly got into your food. There are several instances of this in history affecting entire communities, including Salem, Mass. during the infamous witch trials. I bet you have already considered this possibility, but you didn't mention it.

Anyhow, I'm glad you recovered from whatever it was. It sounds terrifying.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Smile No, we weren't taking anything. None of us were into that (at that point in our lives).

And it was a bit freaky, but not too terrifying. After all, "It's OK, they don't want me." well done

So far they've kept their word.

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Never trust an alien when he has you paralyzed. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Never trust an alien when he has you paralyzed. Smile

Well, that goes for women and policemen as well. And the list is probably longer... scratch

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The frozen, unable to move effect is a classic symptom of a hypnogogic hallucination. Saying that you were fully conscious is kind of irrelevant, as anyone experiencing a hypnogogic hallucination may or may not feel conscious at the time.
Humans tend to believe the mystical explanation, as we are routinely indoctrinated into this faulty thinking as soon as the bible bashers turn up at our kindergarten classes.
I know it's sick, but it's the way society works at the moment.
Maybe, one day, we'll grow up.

-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh Uncle! You non-believer you.... Laughing

Anyway, good to see there's more than one atheist in this state. Might have to make a trip down to Nambucca Heads one of these days... and we'll sit around your campfire, listen to some Kraftwerk and burn some bibles or something.... just as soon as I kick start my UFO!
emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
The frozen, unable to move effect is a classic symptom of a hypnogogic hallucination.

That's what I meant by sleep paralysis.

Also, you're totally ignoring the other two stories that happened the same night, both of which were told to me by the other people before they heard my experience...and one of which never heard my story or my other friend's.

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
Humans tend to believe the mystical explanation, as we are routinely indoctrinated into this faulty thinking as soon as the bible bashers turn up at our kindergarten classes.
I know it's sick, but it's the way society works at the moment.
Maybe, one day, we'll grow up.

I'm assuming that was a generic statement and not aimed specifically at me, because if you actually read my post, I don't have a specific belief about what was experienced that night.

I could write my own experience off to sleep paralysis, or hypnogogic hallucination. And if only one of my roommates had a strange experience that night that was coincidentally similar or supportive of my experience, then maybe I could say it was just a fluke. But to have 3 stories the same night by people in the same house that fit so perfectly together? I find the coincidence theory highly improbable.

What I'm left with, as I said, is that something probably happened that night aside from dreams and hallucination. What that something was, I have no clue, as I have no evidence that points to a definitive answer.

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't think that Uncle was referring to you specifically, but making general reference to society. Your story is very interesting.

In our culture, the first thought of many people would be UFO - aliens. In other times, evil spirits, angry ancestors, the gods, or maybe a spell cast by some shaman or witch doctor.

emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thumb up That's the way I took it, mosc. I hope I didn't sound ticked off, because I really wasn't. I'm a skeptic. I think it's important to look at what's actually observed/experienced and not to jump to any conclusions.

I wish that UFO investigators when interviewing witnesses would not let them get away with describing things in terms that associate meaning to them.

For example: "I saw a disc-shaped ship flying across the sky."

No, they saw a disc-shaped object moving across the sky. A "ship" is a manufactured object and "fly" implies an action directed by some will or intent. Neither is known or provable unless you can identify what the object is. You have to reduce that down to objective descriptions of the object's physical properties (how much of the sky did it take up; what color was it; how did light reflect off it; was it textured or smooth or could you not tell; did it make any sound; did it leave any trail of vapor behind it; etc.) and its observed movement (what direction was it travelling; how quickly did it cross a given stretch of sky; was it accelerating, decelerating or neither; was its course a straight line, curved up, down, side-to-side or other; etc.).

Page 5 of 6 [140 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: