electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Kyma
disconnected use
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Rojo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: disconnected use Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Say you have a Pacarana. If you program your Pacarana with a computer using the Kyma software, and then disconnect it from the computer (and power cycle the Pacarana) - what can you do with it?

* Can you use it like a regular rack synth / processor, sending it program changes and seeing the current program on its little display?

* How about samples? Does it have an internal hard drive, or any persistent sample memory? Do you need the Kyma software to load samples into it?
robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Pacarana definitely needs a computer to run. It has only RAM, no internal hard drive - it uses the computer's hard drive - neither any form of non-volatile memory. On it's own, the Pacarana is a doorstop, and a bad one too - it is not very heavy.

Because it is such an open ended system, it really needs a big screen and not a little display to run. You can liken it to a computer DAW more than a synth module, and it really is neither. Kyma's forte is real time sound manipulation and design, so you should consider including some kind of performance interface in any plans of getting Kyma. I have a Behringer BCF2000 and an iPod which i use. You could just as well use an Eigenharp or Haken Fingerboard for example. Kyma directly supports the iPad too now.

Rojo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks.

Not having non-volatile memory means the Pacarana can't even store patches on its own. Hmm.

The product page says you can connect MIDI devices directly to it. I don't suppose you can load patches via SysEx, without having a host computer connected?

If you can't even do that, then it sounds like if you want to transport your Pacarana, you have to either bring the workstation that you use to edit patches, or copy all your patches and samples to a netbook or something, that also has Kyma installed on it, and bring that. Correct?

When you say Kyma directly supports the iPad, do you mean as the host computer that runs Kyma, or only as a performance controller? (Edit - I looked it up, and it looks like you meant the latter. Correct?)
robsol
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can only connect MIDI devices directly to the Capybara, the previous Kyma engine, but not the new Paca/Pacarana. You can, however use OSC with them, directly through the ethernet port. If you connect up an ethernet router with wifi you can use an iPad - although you have to purchase an app for this - Symbolic Sound's own one is called "Kyma Control". There are a few others too. And yes, you got it - the iPad will not run the Kyma sofware itself, it only works as a performance controller while Kyma is running. Unfortunately you will also need a wifi router because Apple has not opened up the connector for third party applications... this is the major reason why I do not have an iPad - I am not very fond of wifi. Wink

If you want to use MIDI with the Pacarana you can do so through USB or the host computer or even over OSC, but it does not make much sense to use Sysex with Kyma - it is not big on MIDI and does not really use MIDI to store anything like a traditional synth would. So no, you can't store anything using sysex with Kyma, and no it will not work in any case without a computer.

The benefit of this is that you can use the computer to program Kyma, but have a separate box of processing muscle that is completely dedicated to audio, it does not have to deal with running an operating system as well.

So yes, you have to bring your Pacarana, a laptop or desktop with firewire and an audio interface. AFAIK, no netbooks have firewire ports on them, so I don't think that would work. Also note that the Pacarana has no audio in/out, you need a compatible interface to get any sound out in real time. Soon there will be an option to run Kyma within a host application as an AU plugin and also do away with the audio interface, using the computer's internal sound card - which is handy for portability but I think i'd prefer to use my MOTU card for serious work.

All your work is stored on your host computer, including samples and other files associated with Kyma.

Rojo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's very helpful, thanks.
robsol
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Muied Lumens wrote:
So yes, you have to bring your Pacarana, a laptop or desktop with firewire and an audio interface.

Erm, I don't know where I got this from, you can use USB interfaces as well...

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Muied Lumens wrote:
Muied Lumens wrote:
So yes, you have to bring your Pacarana, a laptop or desktop with firewire and an audio interface.

Erm, I don't know where I got this from, you can use USB interfaces as well...

I remember seeing a list of supported audio interfaces but I have not been able to find it again. do I miss something?
Shocked

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
I remember seeing a list of supported audio interfaces but I have not been able to find it again. do I miss something?
:shock:

There used to be a list on the symbolic sound site.

seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
seraph wrote:
Shocked

that's what I meant Exclamation

Quote:
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
Blue Hell wrote:
seraph wrote:
Shocked

But you didn't say it Shocked

Anyway .. its gone maybe Rolling Eyes

Hah ... hidden a bit : http://www.symbolicsound.com/cgi-bin/bin/view/Learn/SupportedConverters

seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
seraph wrote:

But you didn't say it Shocked

Anyway .. its gone maybe Rolling Eyes

Hah ... hidden a bit : http://www.symbolicsound.com/cgi-bin/bin/view/Learn/SupportedConverters

anyway...thanks Exclamation

Quote:
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Kyma
Jump to: