electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Let's see your Lunetta!
Page 12 of 22 [526 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, ..., 20, 21, 22 Next
sndbyte

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've started working on my expansion board. I filled in 6 of the 9 spaces on the board. Now I just need to figure out the final 3 and then mount it.

They are:
CD4024: 7 stage divider
CD4060 14 stage divider
CD4017 sequencer (with a fancy bar graph for lights!)
6 patching strips with LED
CD4046 VCO
and finally at the bottom a de-bounced toggle flip flop swtich using a CD4001 and CD4013. The CD4001 is used to debounce the CD4013 flip flop.

IMG_2753_1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  178.52 KB
 Viewed:  546 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

IMG_2753_1.JPG

IMG_2752_1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  135.57 KB
 Viewed:  574 Time(s)

IMG_2752_1.JPG

tjookum

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy very nice. Im super impressed with your perfboard skills, I know it is very hard to make sense of all the little jumpers. Well done, now go record something, I want to hear this thing in action!
noise
sndbyte

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks! I can't wait to get this thing finished up and mounted with my other board. I've just been testing it out with the 3 piezo disks I have. The soft clicking sounds can become pretty hypnotic.
sndbyte

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just finished my expansion board today so my Lunetta is complete. Here is a scan of my working notes. There are 9 new modules on the right side expansion board. I added 2 VCOs, some dividers, a flip flop switch, a binary switch and another XOR gate. I'll post a photo of it later.

(sorry the scan is kind of dark and a bit hard to read)

cmos.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.01 MB
 Viewed:  708 Time(s)

cmos.jpg

sndbyte

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is a slightly blurry photo of the finished product.

Here are what the knobs control:

osc 1
osc 2
vco 1
lfo 1
lfo 2
voltage starve

mid range osc 1
mid range osc 2
mid range osc 3

mixer volume 1
mixer volume 2
mixer volume 3
main volume
wsg filter resonance
wsg filter cut off

And the 3 wires you see hook up to piezo buzzers so you can listen to any output without an amp or headphones.

cmos board.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  535.98 KB
 Viewed:  741 Time(s)

cmos board.JPG

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very cool looking rig. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
textual

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

my synth so far so far. Been working on this since February. Gone through many metamorphose. Essentially all CMOS 4000 chips accept for some op amps used in the mixer and square wave shapers. I am diligently working on finishing this beast before years end.

IMG_6638.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  910.65 KB
 Viewed:  545 Time(s)

IMG_6638.JPG

www.textualmusic.com
www.mercuryprogram.com
stolenfat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow textual!! whats with those cool circles? How did you drill your holes so straight? Very Happy
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looking really great textual! Nice to see a machine which has been treated with 'modular' respect. Banana jacks have become a rare sight these days. It's what has been holding mine up for some time... among other things!

Thanks for the inspirational image! I shall have to get back to the logic synth stuff as soon as my drone synth is finished!

Nice build!! Very Happy
slacker

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

amazing stuff, looks better than my synth let alone my Lunetta.
textual

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks!

Yeah I do like options! The round rows of jacks are 2 straight up 4040 dividers blue jacks are clocks. I just used a compass to draw the circles and figured 12 points around it. If you look really close none of the modules are perfect i cut them all with table saw or jigsaw, sometimes they get wonky, or a hole will be off due to a bad punch, but hey! its DIY man!

I have come into a lot of time lately and am really working to complete it.

www.textualmusic.com
www.mercuryprogram.com
textual

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stolenfat wrote:
wow textual!! whats with those cool circles? How did you drill your holes so straight? Very Happy

I highly recommend using a punch with a hammer before drilling. Bit will never slip away from its mark whilst sitting in the punch. A drill press is a plus and very handy. You could find one on craigslist for cheap.

www.textualmusic.com
www.mercuryprogram.com
sndbyte

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just finished a small portable lunetta. It is 6 chips on a small PC Board in a wooden box I found at a craft store.

Here is a breakdown of what you see on the board (starting from the top left hand corner):

3 patching strips with LEDs
CD40106 with 3 oscillators (1 low, 1 mid, 1 high)
CD4040 divider
CD4051 binary switch
7805 voltage regulator
small piezo buzzer
a on/off switch
CD4011 NAND gate
CD4070 XOR gate
CD4051 shift register
another small peizo buzzer
2 4-hole headers that connect to the 2 piezo buzzers you can see and the 4 piezo discs mounted below the PCB.

The 9 volt battery is below the control panel.

mini lunetta open

mini lunetta open (patched)

mini lunetta pcb

mini lunetta patched close up
textual

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

way dope!
www.textualmusic.com
www.mercuryprogram.com
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Text and Snd: great looking and well thought out designs. I'm looking forward to hearing future music. thumb up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
chutneyfarmer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: WOW!!! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sndbyte wrote:
I just finished a small portable lunetta. It is 6 chips on a small PC Board in a wooden box I found at a craft store.

Here is a breakdown of what you see on the board (starting from the top left hand corner):

3 patching strips with LEDs
CD40106 with 3 oscillators (1 low, 1 mid, 1 high)
CD4040 divider
CD4051 binary switch
7805 voltage regulator
small piezo buzzer
a on/off switch
CD4011 NAND gate
CD4070 XOR gate
CD4051 shift register
another small peizo buzzer
2 4-hole headers that connect to the 2 piezo buzzers you can see and the 4 piezo discs mounted below the PCB.

The 9 volt battery is below the control panel.

mini lunetta open

mini lunetta open (patched)

mini lunetta pcb

mini lunetta patched close up

That is beautiful looking! Brilliant work. How do the Piezos work out soundwise? Are they pretty lo-fi or do they do surprisingly well?
sndbyte

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the kind words.

The piezo buzzers were sort of an experiment for me (the 2 round plastic cased ones you see on the board). One of them is really quiet... you can barely hear it. But that is good in a way, I sit at my desk and use that quiet piezo buzzer but it is not loud enough to drive my wife crazy. The other buzzer is very loud but very lo-fi. It has a sort 'plasticy' sound due to the plastic it is cased in.

The 4 piezo discs are mounted under the board. Each is attached to the wood bottom of the box with double sided tape. They have a nice sound and are great for clicking patterns as they ping the wooden box. Each has a slightly different sound as I used a variety of different discs.

I did not put an output jack on this.
rich decibels

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm a bit sheepish about posting this after seeing sndbyte's incredible work but here is my first 'finished' lunetta. (Finished as in it's in a box and works every time you switch it on. Not as in complete.) The case is an old PA amp. Top left is a 4093: 4 gates and 4 oscillator outputs. Below that is a 40106 with 4 oscillators with different ranges. Next along is a 4040 with an input and the frist 3 outputs (1/2, 1/4, 1/Cool, then the 8 green knobs are for a 4051-based tone sequencer. Beneath them are 2 XNORs (4077). Then on the right is a 4069 filter with just the LP output and a 4-input mixer.

As you can see it is pretty minimal and I think my next build will go down the perfboard + header pins track with many more chips but I'm pretty happy with what this little guy can do already. I made a little video. FYI the patch is attached below too.

patch.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.9 KB
 Viewed:  34533 Time(s)

patch.jpg

73850_457268025717_694735717_6073382_3598111_n.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  58.36 KB
 Viewed:  285 Time(s)

73850_457268025717_694735717_6073382_3598111_n.jpg

sndbyte

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's a pretty nice looking panel (and it looks much more solid and sturdy than a perf board layout). Are you going to build a box around the panel?

One thing to point out about the perf board layout style is that the ICs and header pins ultimately start to get dusty if you don't have a cover for it. That is one reason why I built my second one in a box. Also a few of the metal header pins I've used start to feel a bit loose so I don't always get a good connection. That seems to happen mostly with the pins at the end of a strip.

Keep up the good work!
rich decibels

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's actually a box already, it just so happens that you can't see it from the camera angles in the video or the photo. What looks like a panel is actually the top of an old amp enclosure. All the knobs and jacks are mounted to the top of the old amp box, along with a long right-angle bracket that holds all the circuits. It is really sturdy but 80% of the building effort and expense goes to wiring up jacks and pots, which would be so much easier and cheaper with headers and trimmers on perfboard. Also the circuit topologies I have in mind involve about 10x as many inputs and outputs as this so I will need a more compact and cost-effective solution.
sndbyte

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I shot 2 short videos on my portable lunetta. Sorry the video quality is so poor... I used a 6 year old digital camera.

Anyhow, this is the CD4051 binary switch in action. I'm using CD40106 oscillators (red leds) as both a clock and data on the CD4015 shift register. 3 of the shift register outputs (green leds) are patched into the CD4051 inputs. This is a binary input that tells the CD4051 which of the 8 outputs it should select as an output. The 3rd CD40106 oscillator is input into the CD4051 and ultimately routed to the one of the 8 outputs on the chip (you'll see the white leds dancing around).

The two videos give you an idea of the sort of slow and fast patterns you can generate. I am only adjusting the clock oscillator in the videos. The difference between the 2 videos is that in one video the oscillator input routed through the CD4051 is tuned higher.

The sound you hear are the 5 piezo discs I have mounted on the box.

More precise control over the patterns could be had if you used 3 low frequency oscillators as your input into the CD4051 rather than the shift register.

tjookum

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great stuff sndbyte!

The shiftregister/divider to multiplexer is one of the most powerfull tools in making lunetta patches, I rarely make a patch without one. One thing you could try is also using a 2x4 bit multiplexer(4052) they work really well with the 4015 and give some really nice variations.

And those piezo's don't sound bad at all, a little more "real" and organic then the usual bleeps and bloops coming from a speaker, well done!

noise
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tjookum wrote:
Great stuff sndbyte!

... well done!

Yes, I agree. Very Happy

droffset

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you like sequencers that can interact with your Lunetta, Here's something for you. Smile

The first half is quite basic information but the more involved stuff happens after that.

Edit: Spelling mistakes.
textual

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

very cool! love the backwards feature.. you have a schematic yet?
www.textualmusic.com
www.mercuryprogram.com
Page 12 of 22 [526 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, ..., 20, 21, 22 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: