electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 FAQ
G2X - What do I get out of the box?
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
luke

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: G2X - What do I get out of the box?
Subject description: What kind of patches should I expect before I learn to create my own?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi everyone around!

I am currently considering a purchase of Nord Modular G2X. I already own a Virus Ti2 and a Motif for live gigs, but I would like to go with the Nord as well.

My question is: Apart from countless options of creating new sounds using the modules in the G2X, are there any patches containing actual instruments like Organs, Brass, E.Pianos, Mallets, Strings, etc., out of the box? If yes, what quality and how many are there?

I am familiar with the concept of the G2, I just need this bit of information.
Thank you for any info!
Fozzie

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

With regard to patches & performances, there is no difference between a G2x and a G2 Key + expansion board (or an expanded G2 engine for that matter). There are quite some factory patches, but this is a mixed bag of various things. Here on the forum are hundreds or thousands of additional patches, quite some gems in there. Re quality; well, that's a bit difficult to describe in words. If you are after good quality emulations of organs, brass and a lot of other presets, there are better bets. If you want (almost)endless possibilities and a fantastic user interface & 5 octaves of keys, get the G2X!
Roland Kuit

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 127

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Luke,
yes, there are. Just look in the patch archive.
luke

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi guys,

thanks for the quick reply. I opened the patch archive, and it gave me a list of 4222 presets. Unfortunately that didn't tell me how instruments emulation patches sound, could someone describe that? Also, almost no vids on youtube..

My 2nd and 3rd choices are Nord Wave and Nord Lead 2x. Now, the modular beats them with its 5 octaves, vocoder and tweakability, but does he get beaten when it comes to emulation of instruments? I know, that the Wave also works with samples, plus there are other differences, but let's just not pay attention to that.

Any thoughts?
luke

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Please, anybody, I need to make the call.
What are the emulations like? Unfortunately there are almost no videos or audio files to listen to.

Any opinions welcome!
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK then, just for you, my friend. Wink

Attached is a recording of me goin through the presets I have stored in my machine since I got it, concentrating on stuff that emulates stuff (though I threw in a little bit of everything for good measure). Poorly played, but at least you'll be able to hear what stuff can sound like.

If you hear a sequence of sounds with pops between them, that means I am changing variations as I play them. Each preset may have eight different variations. At the end of this sample you can hear how vastly different these can be - the last eight sounds are all part of the same preset!

I think the lack of responses here may be due to not knowing how to respond that kind of question - since you basically can do anything with a G2, and since it is IMO easier to patch than any other similar product that's out there, whether anyone buys a G2 is mostly down to whether or not they like the too-perfect nature of the oscillators, or stuff like that. If you're after emulations and stuff, the question is rather which of the gazillion versions of everything you're going to choose.

This also means that if there are some details in the emulations I posted here that you don't particularly like, it may happen that you're easily fixing this and then going beyond into the sonic unknown before you know it, once you've opened up the editor and started tweaking just a little bit.

/Stefan

g2_showcase.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  g2_showcase.mp3
 Filesize:  4.96 MB
 Downloaded:  1298 Time(s)

luke

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nuff said!!

That is so much more than the kind of reply I was hoping for. Thank you for the demo, I am sure it will be helpful in making the decision! This baby seems to be even more powerful than I have imagined.
Once again thanks Stefan Smile
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 FAQ
Jump to: