electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
MPY634 Analog Multiplier
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
ioplex

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: MPY634 Analog Multiplier Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got some MPY634 and I'm looking for an excuse to use it.

Is it possible to run audio through a squarer to generate 2nd harmonics? After a crude first pass it seems that this doesn't really work. For one, the input needs to be evenly centered around 0 which is just not the case with a complex waveform. Or can I employ any tricks to get interesting harmonics?

More generally, what are some good effects that I can do with a four quadrant analog multiplier?

Would this make a good compressor? Meaning rectify and hold the input to get a control voltage based on the signal power level (in integrator?). Then controlling how quickly the CV reacts to input would be the "attack" and how quickly it drops would be the "release".

Could I make a compressor with an instant attack such that it deliberately distorts the signal. Meaning at low signal amplitude (say 100mVpp) the signal is largely unmodified but as the amplitude approaches some limit (say 5Vpp) the gain becomes 1 and the signal is clipped to create a guitar overdrive effect but presumably more subtle.

Ideas and circuits are appreciated.

Mike
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

four quadrant analog multiplier...

Ring Modulator?
iopop3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Found http://frank.harvard.edu/~paulh/misc/lorenz.htm that uses this chip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: