electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Kyma
kyma pacarana noob
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
amnesia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: kyma pacarana noob Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all

I am looking to buy the entry level Pacarana and have a few questions.

I use my modular only and have an Eventide Eclipse, my plan is to sell the Eventide as I really dont use it much and get an entry Pacarana.

Can I use the Pacarana to feed live sound into be manipulated in realtime?
Will it allow 4 inputs?

If I read right the Pacarana is 5 times faster than than a basic Capy 320? if so does that mean it equals a basic Capy 320 and 5 extra cards?
Scot Solida

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I posted this reply over at Muff's:

The Paca (that's the entry level one) is the equivalent of a Capybara 320 with eight DSP cards installed (so a total of twenty processors).

I have a Capybara 320 (I just ordered a Pacarana yesterday, actually) with five cards installed and an Eventide DSP4000. If I had to choose between the two, the Kyma would would be the hands-down winner. I can't imagine that the Eventide can do anything the Kyma can't, assuming you want to put the work into recreating the algorithms (there are, actually, a couple of simulations of classic Eventide patches on the Kyma wiki site).

Kyma isn't really a passive player... it doesn't come with squillions of presets covering every studio contingency. There are a lot, and there are more at the wiki site (and the user base is growing and growing quickly, contributing more and helping each other work out specific tasks). However, it's not like, say, buying Reaktor, where you get a bunch of 1:1 clones of famous synths and effects, etc. Still, you'll find it easy to tweak what is there into what you need.

Kyma is a massive system and you'll be able to do far more with it than you could do with the Eventide. The real-time processing is out-of-this-world. And not only for effects processing. You can use incoming audio in a lot of different ways. You can use, say, the frequency of your voice to trigger sequences, events or processes (even the rate of audio streamed from your hard drive). Imagine creating a patch wherein a certain frequency triggers a morph from a reverb tail into a human voice. Whatever crazy audio ideas you can come up with, you can likely make 'em happen in Kyma.
amnesia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

THANKS

I JUST BOUGHT THE PACARANA Smile
Scot Solida

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's great news! Welcome to the "Event Horizon"... it's only a matter of days before you fall into the black hole. Kyma will swallow up every ounce of free time you have... but you'll be more than willing to get sucked in! Very Happy
amnesia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks

I intend to work Kyma into my current love of modular
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUohmv_r6cI&feature=player_embedded

so very excited Smile

The Kyma wiki seems to have no great forums or sound sharing sites? Any ideas where to look?
Scot Solida

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kyma is a perfect match with your (awesome) modular system. I consider my modular and Kyma to be the two most important elements in my studio... they are very different, but equally important and work very well together.

The Kyma Wiki and the Forum are really about all there is. This is a small community, but a relatively active one. There are frequent updates to the collection of sounds over at the Twiki, and there are usually a couple of active threads on the forum... quite often involving ongoing collaborative efforts to design patches. Earlier this month, there was thread wherein a few users knocked together an emulation of the 296e. Carla and Kurt both actively participate in these sorts of discussions, as do a number of people very well-versed in all things Kyma.

The wiki site's list of sounds can be found here:

http://www.symbolicsound.com/cgi-bin/bin/view/Share/Sounds

(not sure if you have to be logged in... keep in mind that the wiki log-in is a different one from the forum. At least mine is...)
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome to the club Smile
robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome indeed! Smile
_bp

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you don't have log in rights, you won't see the sound share on the wiki or get full access to the forum.

Between the two, it will about double the available library of sounds. Funny thing is that most kyma users don't seem to share by default but if you ask them how to do something, people will quickly jump to help and provide examples. Many, if not most, of the sounds posted to the forums are based around someone asking a question. Questions help everyone, so please feel free to ask away Smile
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Kyma
Jump to: