electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Buchla 100 DIY?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
phdinfunk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Buchla 100 DIY?
Subject description: I see the 111 Ring Mod... what else is there?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm curious, everybody seems to love the 200 series Buchlas. I read a thread about someone DIYing the 111 ring modulator. Are there any other 100 series bits that are particularly cool and worth DIYing? Like those oscillators, do they have some cool characteristics? Anything else that anyone HAS DIYed? Can we hear some sounds?

For that matter, is anyone in love with 100 series stuff the way they are with 200 series?

I'm trying to build the coolest system in the universe and I'm curious if I should tackle something 100-ish next.

--Jonathan
2thick4uni

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm also interested in Buchla 100 series - Because of it's age it was almost all discrete circuitry with not an ic in sight, similar to VCS3 and Synthi A in that respect and probably requires some experimentation with components and resistor values to get it functioning correctly

Some 100 series schematics are here:

http://rubidium.dyndns.org/~magnus/synths/companies/buchla/

Anyone built any of this stuff?
Peake

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The earliest Buchlas are cleaner-sounding than the 200s due to the earliest versions being discrete (no early opamps).

If you have a Buchla system and want more of that sound, the dual VCA is very similar to the dual ring mod, and a prototype layout of the dual ring mod is up in this forum, could be modded to provide for a dual VCA design (Linear Systems have a substitute for the ITT dual trannie, and the 2N 3565 isn't very scary as there is a cheap PN version).

Interesting 100 stuff includes the sequencer, etc. I believe that the early discrete clocks in these sorts of things have a better feel than modern versions using tempcos etc. Check out the Buchla.com historical site.

"IC 741. Sometimes you don't want fidelity." -Small Bear Electronics Catalog
andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Peake wrote:
The earliest Buchlas are cleaner-sounding than the 200s due to the earliest versions being discrete (no early opamps).

for some reason my bs detector 'peaked' a little when i read that Laughing
sorry Embarassed

but really
is this a subjective opinion or a proven fact?
phdinfunk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Peake: "[...] cleaner sounding [...]"

Andrew: "Is this subjective opinion or proven fact?"

Mind if I guess on this one?

Wink

... BUT maybe Peake's got some of those 100 series, or messed around with them. I'm open to what he says.

Barring some sort of harmonic distortion analysis (which may or may not tell us how they actually SOUND), how could you make this into a "proven fact?" I don't mean to be an ass about this, but it's like an old modded Dynakit Vaccuum tube stereo I used to listen to my records on. Those things sounded CRYSTALLINE but I'm sure there was some 2nd order distortion happening compared to the Sansui Tranny system I had before.... IMHO, you just can't QUANTIFY that at all.

The only sound sample I have found is some Kevin Lightener put up on Youtube. They sound a bit meh.... could be a moog, could be a Dave Smith Evolver.... Not the same as that nifty 259 video on Youtube where you're like, "holy hell, all that came from those few knobs?"

Carry on then....
andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

phdinfunk wrote:

.... IMHO, you just can't QUANTIFY that at all.

exactly!
Peake

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No one is interested in modding the EM 100 RM into a dual VCA? Could be easy...

"IC 741. Sometimes you don't want fidelity." -Small Bear Electronics Catalog
mono-poly

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB-JZVZ-S7I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBUqy6xOcsc
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: