electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » electro-music.com » Streaming Radio Station
Time Drone with Jack Hertz - Show Archives
Page 1 of 5 [102 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Jack_Hertz

Audio files: 101
G2 patch files: 7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject:  Time Drone with Jack Hertz - Show Archives Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Time Drone is weekly show featuring two hours of ambient music by Jack Hertz and guests. Time Drone is focused on experimenting with very long forms of live improvisation that are meant to slow or extend the listeners' perception of time.

Time Drone airs every Thursday starting at 10 PM EST / 7 PM PST streaming live on http://StillStream.com.

Please feel welcome to download and listen to recordings from past shows below. Note: these recordings are mixes taken directly from the live stream. Noise, bad levels, distortion, dropouts and other issues may be heard.

time-drone-ss-2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  306.12 KB
 Viewed:  1205 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

time-drone-ss-2.jpg

Last edited by Jack_Hertz on Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:51 am; edited 21 times in total
robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Droneloaded. Thanks. Razz
nobody

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think I heard the show once. Very nice! I'd love to be a guest some time.
Jack_Hertz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

audiodef wrote:
I think I heard the show once. Very nice! I'd love to be a guest some time.

I would love to have you. Everyone, are most welcome to send me your drones and loops. I will be glad to use them on the show.

Likewise, if you'd like to join me for a live stream drone jam. Send me a note so we can set something up.

Last edited by Jack_Hertz on Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 275
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool

like the new name Smile

nobody

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was just reading the brain/thought controlled music thread that 1:11 started when I came up with an idea, sitting in view of an electric range-top oven. This idea would work well for Time Drone, as it requires patience and time.

Put a (or more than one) heat sensor above an electric range-top. Maybe even a heat sensor inside the oven. Fiddle with the heat levels of the individual coils (and oven, if used). Now that I think of it, this would work better with individual sensors for each coil. Have the heat sensors control whatever - cutoff, resonance, VCA and pitch, for example.

Get some pretty sensitive heat sensors and I'm guessing you could introduce variations by waving your hands (or something fireproof) between the stove coils and the sensor.

Now I wish I had the means to do this.
nobody

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Another idea: tie strings between small trees on a windy day, with the strings triggering controls when pulled or relaxed. Have multiple instances of this going further back into a forest so that the outer trees make more pronounced changes while the inner trees make less pronounced changes.
Jack_Hertz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interesting ideas. Never thought of using heat before. The wind idea is something I always wanted to try ever since I saw Leif Brush's Terrain Instrument. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBHWpOjiqjc&feature=player_embedded
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My wife and I have tossed around the idea of making an Aeolian Harp. You can see some types here: http://www.harmonicwindharps.com/ Very cool sounding instruments

Might be pretty cool to use pickups to capture the sound - and also have several strings control sensors routed to control MIDI CC or CV type controls that are connected to filters, etc..

Jack_Hertz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Huh, that was a cool Dave. The harmonic sanctuary is very inspiring. I live in a windy place that I could do some interesting things with. Anyone know where I can get some pick up for steel cables?
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would think - unless the wire was non-magnetic - that you could use guitar pickups. Or in a pinch use the small transistor radio earphones. You would have to work out an efficient way to couple the string to the diaphragm in the earphone though. They work pretty good as pickups. Years ago in high school I took one and screwed it onto the end of my flute (the end where the small cap comes off so you can adjust intonation) Put it on just tight enough for the diaphragm to contact the threaded rod. Worked pretty darned good!

Possibly also use piezo elements from old buzzers and such....

Jack_Hertz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, Piezos are the way to go. I talked to a buddy who build custom Pick-ups and he said those with some 2-sided tape should do it. Now to find some cables. Twisted Evil
Jack_Hertz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tonight on Time Drone - With the release of "Streaming Landscape" I will be playing the full album for the first half of the show followed by live improv in the 2nd hour. Join me tonight at 00:00 GMT.

artwork-tray.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  598.44 KB
 Viewed:  1117 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

artwork-tray.png

Jack_Hertz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Time Drone 2011-01-03 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is the recording from last nights show. The first hour features my new release "Streaming Landscape" followed by a live set with special guest John Johnson who was performing on the Korg iMS-20 and other devices.

Last edited by Jack_Hertz on Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
nobody

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great set, Jack!
D.MiƱoza
Stream Operator

Audio files: 31

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

excellent set, jack.

~

shanemorris
Stream Operator

Audio files: 92

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jack I have made Time Drone a sticky topic with the other regularly scheduled programs and added you to the radio schedule. Great to add another high quality show to our list. Thanks Very Happy
modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 275
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice show Jack, I think I was still awake when it finished Smile
Jack_Hertz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks muchly for tuning in. Hope I can keep it up with the down slow every week. Cool
nobody

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In lieu of uploading, I thought I'd post a link to the flac, since it's around 200 MB.

http://audiodef.com/audio/flac/TimeDrone1.flac

This is my stand-alone drone that Jack incorporated into the show on 10 January. I thought I'd include it for the geek factor.
Jack_Hertz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is the recording from last night's Time Drone show. I was joined by "sepcial" [sic] guest Audiodef.

Last edited by Jack_Hertz on Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:56 am; edited 2 times in total
nobody

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This was fun. I have a few large, brightly-coloured triangular paper clips that I used to hold down keys on different synths.

I've posted the show to my own site. I just need to add a note explaining I was a guest on the show.

http://audiodef.com/shows.php?show_id=4

Edit: note added.

Last edited by nobody on Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jack_Hertz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

audiodef wrote:
This was fun. I have a few large, brightly-coloured triangular paper clips that I used to hold down keys on different synths.

That was fun. Thanks for playing along.

That's a great idea. I use a footswtich plugged into the sustain input on my USB controller to keep stuff on.

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jack Hertz wrote:
My account is out of space

Is the file really larger than 900 MB? Shocked

nobody

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jack Hertz wrote:

That's a great idea. I use a footswtich plugged into the sustain input on my USB controller to keep stuff on.

I prefer foot switches, but I don't have any. Maybe I should move this up in my acquisition list - they aren't expensive. Some of my synths have hold functions, but it's a bit convoluted to quickly assign the function to a knob somewhere.
Page 1 of 5 [102 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com » Streaming Radio Station
Jump to: