electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
Nord Wave as MIDI controller?
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
bertpeeters

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:46 am    Post subject: Nord Wave as MIDI controller? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi there,
I'm considering to buy a Nord Wave, because I want a decent virtual analog synth with decent string/organ/ep sounds as well. But I need to use the Wave also to control my rack module on a different MIDI channel, live on stage.

Reading from the manual, I could use BiTimb mode on the wave. I could then use Slot A for the Wave internal sounds and use Slot B on a different channel to switch to the rack module. But I would like to use Slot B for internal sounds as well.
It seems the MIDI channels are a Global option, right? So I can't use different channels in different patches.

Any suggestions or thoughts from a Wave user?
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome bertpeeters

Keep in mind the B sound will play the same notes as the external synth.

Wout
bertpeeters

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:11 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, I know. But I could store a 'soundless' patch in slot B, by setting Osc volume to zero or whatever. The remaining problem is that I have no way of controlling if the external synth will sound or not, except switching off BiTimb mode or switching MIDI channel. But I can't do that in a patch setting, can I?
anotherscott

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bertpeeters wrote:
Yeah, I know. But I could store a 'soundless' patch in slot B, by setting Osc volume to zero or whatever. The remaining problem is that I have no way of controlling if the external synth will sound or not, except switching off BiTimb mode or switching MIDI channel. But I can't do that in a patch setting, can I?

Are you setting the Wave to send MIDI Program Change or not?

If you are sending Program Change, you should be able to similarly create "soundless" patches on your external device that get called up when you call up the Wave patches where you don't want the external device to sound.

If you are not sending Program Change, then you might be doing something else to change sounds on the external module, and you could likewise create a recallable "soundless" patch to use that way.

If your external device is only used for one sound and you don't do program changes on it at all, then I would just put a volume pedal on its output, and use the pedal to cut its volume when it's not wanted.

If you wanted to get fancy, you could look to add some kind of MIDI processor which will let you create all kinds of combinations.
bertpeeters

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Wout, thanks for your suggestions! A 'silent' patch on my external device would have to exist for each corresponding Wave program that I don't want the module to sound with. Or I need to switch the module to this patch manually.
A separate volume pedal could be an option.
But I do own a MIDI Event Processor, so I could use this to turn MIDI filtering for my module on and off. I then need to find something on the Wave to trigger this setting. Maybe MIDI Bank change, which would require I put all patches with external synth in a separate bank.

I'll try to figure something out. Meanwhile, let's wait and see what new machine Clavia comes up with at NAMM next week Wink
bertpeeters

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, sorry, I thought those suggestions came from Wout. Thank you anotherscott!
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
Jump to: