electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Samplers
Question about copyright laws
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Oddible

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:11 am    Post subject: Question about copyright laws Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i was wondering if its illegal to use samples from popular songs or movies. I recently used a drum sample from APC - the noose and a sample from an indie film The Signal. It occurred to me that it could be a violation of copyright laws. Can i only use "royalty free" samples? not that im worried about getting charged with anything, i was just curious if i should be more careful
loydb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, it is illegal to use sound from existing works without licensing. You not only want "royalty free", but you also want to make sure that the "royalty free" samples you buy can actually be used for what you want. For example, some sample collections can be used in music production, but not motion picture soundtrack production.

I'm not a lawyer, but...

MFOS Ultimate Expand-o-tron Build Log: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/post-308797.html#308797
MFOS Mini-Controller Build Log [FINISHED!]: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-42968.html
Oddible

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

after doing some more research ive found some interesting stuff. Edit: Illegal Art, the record label that Girl Talk is on was founded by a guy using the alias Philo Farnsworth after reading an interview this is what i found out. Basically its very expensive for a label to sue someone for sampling and lesser known artist usually just receive threatening letters and thats the end of it. also you have to be physically served to appear in court to be sued. So being hard to physically contact or using a alias would help. Lastly the artist in which was sampled could get bad publicity if the sampling artist is popular enough so record companies would rather not give their artist a bad name possibly losing fans to sue someone for using a 5 sec sample. But yes sampling is illegal and you can potentially be sued for it. so unless your planning on jumping on this "anti-copyright" fair use band wagon and be prepared to deal with some shit from record labels then royalty free is the way to go... here are some links on the subject...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegal_Art

http://www.splendidezine.com/features/illegal/ (interview with Farnsworth )

Last edited by Oddible on Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Aciphecs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Illegal Art is a sampling label that was started by a person using the name Philo T. Farnsworth in 1998.

Farnsworth died in 1971, he couldn't have started a record label in 1998 Very Happy

Probably just empasis on the fact that they sample other people's work...the founder sampled this name from someone else Wink
Oddible

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aciphecs wrote:
Illegal Art is a sampling label that was started by a person using the name Philo T. Farnsworth in 1998.

Farnsworth died in 1971, he couldn't have started a record label in 1998 Very Happy

Probably just empasis on the fact that they sample other people's work...the founder sampled this name from someone else Wink

wow i feel foolish Razz

one must see how i got confused there... i guess i didnt do as much reading on farnsworth as i did illegal art. thanks for correction...
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Samplers
Jump to: