electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Wanted, For Sale, Opportunities and Requests » Equipment/Software Wanted and For Sale
Boolean Sequencer + Karplus Strong Prototype
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Boolean Sequencer + Karplus Strong Prototype
Subject description: An excellent little noisemaker
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is a prototype that I constructed in about seven hours. I have 3+ years invested in the understanding and creation of the circuits involved, so there is a lot of time invested in this prototype from a research perspective.

It is a Boolean Sequencer + Karplus Strong stand-alone prototype circuit. Like any good sound generator it makes lots of wacky sounds plus it can create sequences of up to 256 steps in duration. It has four potentiometers to adjust tempo, feedback, filter cutoff, and delay. It also has an 8 position DIP switch for determining the pattern of notes produced by the sequencer.

Constructed on a weighty aluminum base, this prototype is protoboarded and runs from a single 9V battery, not included. It has two stereo 1/8" jacks which deliver a mono signal to both ears.

Rather than describe the item in full detail here, I refer you to the attached audio sample which explains a lot of the details and demonstrates the sound.

PRICE: I need to move this item so it is going to the highest bidder as long as the offer is reasonable. Shipping will be $10.50 to the continental US, more to international locations. I would like to see a total price including shipping of about $100 since I have six hours of time and a high quality breadboard invested in this, not to mention all the parts.

Thanks and have a great day!

Les

BSKS Prototype 1.jpg
 Description:
Photo of BSKS Prototype for Sale
 Filesize:  235.81 KB
 Viewed:  374 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

BSKS Prototype 1.jpg

BSKS Demo 20110118 0849.mp3
 Description:
Audio demo

Download
 Filename:  BSKS Demo 20110118 0849.mp3
 Filesize:  15.95 MB
 Downloaded:  1016 Time(s)

nobody

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice! I added it to my studio wish list (things I want to buy when I have money).

I've just decided to start seeking hand-made instruments from friends (like you, Les) who build these things. What I mean is, give such instruments preference over instruments made by large companies.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This prototype has been sold.

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

audiodef wrote:
Very nice! I added it to my studio wish list (things I want to buy when I have money).

I've just decided to start seeking hand-made instruments from friends (like you, Les) who build these things. What I mean is, give such instruments preference over instruments made by large companies.

I think this is commendable Damien. We do, however, need to work out some kind of a price model. The free market so far has determined that prototypes are worthless, but are they? If they work and make sound, have decent enclosures or can at least be stored and transported safely, etc. then they must have some value.

There is a speculative value in that you could be buying some early work of a later famous person. The main value, though should be intrinsic. It could make awesome sound but lack a case as in my Brick which sold for $150. Or they could be very well made physically and make just OK sounds, or have quality in both areas.

Just like car insurance companies have formulas for determining the worth of classic cars, perhaps we could do a little thinking and make a checklist of features to consider when purchasing a one-of-a-kind prototype or DIY item.

Les

nobody

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm OK with prototypes. My criteria are 1. Do I like the way it sounds and 2. What do I know of the person who built it? Number 2 goes to durability, quality, etc. In your case, I already know I'd be buying stuff that was built with care.

Another cool factor in buying from indie builders is the ability to interact with the builders directly. Buyer can provide feedback and builder can provide instructions and tips.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, and builder can also customize to your specs! Hmmm.... can't do that with off-the shelf...

Les

1:11

Audio files: 109

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You're in good hands Audio, i hear ya about the durability thing....

i've broken 2 pieces of gear in the past couple of days, and i was only using 'em like any normal musician would.

It pisses me off when care wasn't taken with the interface/build, especially when it only takes a little extra time and a few extra dollars to improve the quality/durability.

Please remember though, that these first pieces are prototypes....so there will be things to improve upon this early in the game. In exchange for a lower price than final product, you would be helping with getting the product up to high standard for the general public.

Les is working with the electronic side, (which i personally LOVE the sound of his gear), and i'm working on developing intuitive interfaces/cases. We both are wanting to get this right, and any support would be fantastic!!
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, I was told by 1:11 to keep it low key until he was ready to announce it, so I guess this is the place. The customer who bought this prototype is my new business partner 1:11!

I didn't know what to expect when 1:11 approached me about his ideas related to my prior work here at electro-music. He seemed a little far-fetched actually. However via pm and telephone 1:11 has shared some brilliant market insights, especially related to this project, and I'm fairly confident that we have a good shot at a winner here.

So I won't be selling anymore of these specific prototypes for the time being, I'll be sending them to 1:11 for evaluation purposes once I am done with testing them. Wish us luck and good fortune...

Les

Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Wanted, For Sale, Opportunities and Requests » Equipment/Software Wanted and For Sale
Jump to: