electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » YuSynth
A NEW (IMPROVED) VERSION OF THE YUSYNTH ADSR
Page 1 of 3 [54 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
yusynth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:11 am    Post subject: A NEW (IMPROVED) VERSION OF THE YUSYNTH ADSR Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi All

I now propose an improved design of the yusynth ADSR.
The changes are :

Now the input stage is a discrete Schmitt trigger. As such any signal (this means not necessarily a regular GATE signal) can be used to trigger the ADSR as soon as its level goes above 2V.

The input impedance is now very high which makes it possible to feed more than four ADSR on the same GATE signal source without problem.

A buffering stage as been added between the SUSTAIN potentiometer and the DECAY potentiometer. This fixes a slight bug that made the DECAY rate dependant of the SUSTAIN setting. Now they are completly independant.

A short/long envelope option is now provided by setting jumpers on the PCB which select proper timing capacitors and ATTACK resistors. Note that this can be as well connected to an "on panel" DPDT switch to allow interactive selection of the ADSR mode.

And ultimatly, a resistor can be added or ignored to set the range of the REVERSE ADSR mode. Without resistor, the range is 0V (quiet status) to -10V (max range); with the the resistor installed, the range is +10V (quiet mode) to 0V (max range).

Check this at http://yusynth.net/Modular/EN/ADSR/index.html

Another important change is that from now the yusynth PCBs will provide prints for both DOTCOM style PSU connector and MOTM style PSU connector !

Last edited by yusynth on Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Sebo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's great!!!
I will build one for my new cabinet.
Thanks for sharing it, and happy 2011!!!

https://www.facebook.com/cosaquitos/
mph

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Yves!

So I plan to build two more ADSR, now with the updated version, when I'd have finished the main cabinet!
It's going to be a very busy year.

Happy new year.
iopop3

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The bom say, "(or any other CMOS version of the NE555, DO NOT USE A NE555 !)".

Is this because a cmos version of the 555 is more stable, draws less current and overall improved compared to the original NE555. Or are there other reasons?
yusynth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

iopop3 wrote:
The bom say, "(or any other CMOS version of the NE555, DO NOT USE A NE555 !)".

Is this because a cmos version of the 555 is more stable, draws less current and overall improved compared to the original NE555. Or are there other reasons?

No other reasons, you summarized them all very well.

chrisp

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nooooooo i just finessed 10 old!! ADSRs and now i wait the front panels Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Happy 2011 Very Happy
yusynth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

chrisp wrote:
nooooooo i just finessed 10 old!! ADSRs and now i wait the front panels Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Happy 2011 Very Happy

No worry, the old ADSRs are working well, the new one are just doing better Wink

kkissinger

Audio files: 42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: A NEW (IMPROVED) VERSION OF THE YUSYNTH ADSR Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yusynth wrote:
The input impedance is not very high which makes it possible to feed more than four ADSR on the same GATE signal source without problem.

Excellent, Yves.

You probably meant to write that the input impedance is now very high.

Ah, I recognize the discreet schmidt trigger -- I've built three of your Logic boards so your schmidt trigger with the 1m resistor (and the 1.2m pulldown resistor) is like an old friend. Smile

yusynth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
You probably meant to write that the input impedance is now very high.

Yes you're right , I fixed the typo...

Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yves,

The schematic, parts list, and the component location diagram show C-4 to be 10nf. The color wiring diagram shows this to be 15nf. I assume 10nf is the correct value?

Thanks,

Dan
yusynth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes it's 10n although 15n would'nt be a problem, I'll fix this discrepancy.
Franky

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello Yves,

It's nice to see this problem solved! Is it critical to switch the Attack limitation resistor as well as the caps? (I bet you understand why I'm asking you this Wink )

Nice work anyway, an interesting mod would be to add a potentiometer to blend the normal and inverted outputs, to make a third output with polarized amount (negative on CCW, positive on CW, null when centered). Wink

yusynth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Franky wrote:
Hello Yves,

It's nice to see this problem solved! Is it critical to switch the Attack limitation resistor as well as the caps? (I bet you understand why I'm asking you this Wink )

For sure I understand why Wink As a matter of fact the switching of resistor is there to avoid overshoot of the attack for the shortest attack (1µF cap). For the project you are thinking of it is not a problem... makes it even more ...brutal...'

bubzy

Audio files: 64

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi, ive etched and built this circuit. however im getting some strange behaviour from Q1. theres a short between C and E, although E is Not Connected. im no electronics genius just a lowly board stuffer, but everything looks to be ok, ive tried different transistors and that doesnt seem to work. if anyone can shed some light on what ive done wrong, that would be great.
yusynth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Last edited by yusynth on Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:04 am; edited 1 time in total
yusynth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bubzy wrote:
hi, ive etched and built this circuit. however im getting some strange behaviour from Q1. theres a short between C and E, although E is Not Connected. im no electronics genius just a lowly board stuffer, but everything looks to be ok, ive tried different transistors and that doesnt seem to work. if anyone can shed some light on what ive done wrong, that would be great.

Sorry about that bubzy, but it seems that the PCB drawing on my site was missing a track between the Emitters of Q1 and Q2.
To solve your problem just solder a resistor leg in between the emitters pads and all will work fine. I don't understand why this track disappeared because it was there on my proto PCB.

Anyway I fixed the PCB drawing at my site and it can be used now.

bubzy

Audio files: 64

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fantastic! Works very well, thank you for your replies and an excellent circuit!
JRock

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi. I etched a pcb and built this but I can't seem to get it to work Sad
I used a TLC555 which is a CMOS chip. The LED doesn't light and the VCA and the filter just stay open when I plug them in. Any ideas?

I'll check out Q1 and Q2 and make sure their emitters are connected.

Thanks!
yusynth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JRock wrote:
Hi. I etched a pcb and built this but I can't seem to get it to work Sad
I used a TLC555 which is a CMOS chip. The LED doesn't light and the VCA and the filter just stay open when I plug them in. Any ideas?

I'll check out Q1 and Q2 and make sure their emitters are connected.

Thanks!

Hi If you downloaded the PCB drawing before january 26th then you have to fix the Q1 emitter,Q2 emitter missing track bug. If you used the latest drawing then we will have to figure out what is the problem with your ADSR.

Last edited by yusynth on Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
JRock

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow. Thanks for the quick response! And thanks for your generous and well documented distribution of knowledge on your website! Your modules are awesome and I'll definitely be building more Wink

I downloaded it a few weeks ago... I'm not positive when exactly. I'm just about to check it and contrast and compare and see which one I have. I keep you posted.
Thanks!
JRock

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome!!! It was the older version so I connected the emitters from Q1 and Q2 and it works Very Happy

I have another question Embarassed

I added the DPDT switch to select fast or slow. When I use the gate button everything acts the way I would imagine but when I send a gate signal to the input the decay doesn't start until I've released the gate. Is that normal?
I connected the three fast/slow pads under the tantalum caps but not the 3 to the right of the diodes. Is that correct?
yusynth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JRock wrote:
Awesome!!! It was the older version so I connected the emitters from Q1 and Q2 and it works Very Happy

I have another question Embarassed

I added the DPDT switch to select fast or slow. When I use the gate button everything acts the way I would imagine but when I send a gate signal to the input the decay doesn't start until I've released the gate. Is that normal?
I connected the three fast/slow pads under the tantalum caps but not the 3 to the right of the diodes. Is that correct?

Can you send a photo of the assembled PCB ?

JRock

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry I took so long. I had to get batteries for my camera. I hope I got a good enough photo. Right now I have the Long selection jumpered and I have the DPDT switch hooked up but it isn't doing anything. If I desolder the jumper then it makes a high pitched noise when I have it switched down.

It still stays open as long as the gate is open...

I did my best on the photos Confused If you need better i can try again or if you have any questions for me please don't hesitate.

I really appreciate you taking the time to to take a peek at my build. Thank you Very Happy

DSCF2380 (4).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  229.91 KB
 Viewed:  494 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

DSCF2380 (4).jpg

DSCF2378 (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  373.55 KB
 Viewed:  461 Time(s)

DSCF2378 (2).jpg

VW

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A while ago I was looking for a relatively simple basic envelope generator and bumped onto this fantastic design. I already had most of the required components and decided to build a quad version on protoboard. The manual gate and inverted output were omitted. A separate quad led driver will be built onto a stripboard, using TL074 which allowed me to use TL072 for output and sustain level buffers for each individual envelope circuit. The transistors BC547C's were substituted with BC548C's, major difference between those being the maximum voltage rating. Short/Long toggle switch will be mounted onto front panel.
Next up is making the panel + wiring. Can't wait to try and start using it!
Attached is the image of the finished board.

ADSR_Board_1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.94 MB
 Viewed:  578 Time(s)

ADSR_Board_1.jpg

yusynth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice quad ADSR !
Page 1 of 3 [54 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » YuSynth
Jump to: