electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
What are all the ADSR's out there to build?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 5 of 6 [126 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
nicolas3141

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My LM324 based ADSR (see above) should work on 6V, but you may need to tweak a few resistor values. You possibly should look at swapping the LM324 for a low voltage version - especially if you want to run it on 5V. LMV324 would be ideal for 5V operation, but it is only available surface mount - not sure how you feel about that. There are other options, but you will need to shop around to get something through-hole.

To run it on 6V you need to create a -3V / 0V / +3V situation with a voltage divider or whatever.

Cheers,
Nicolas
cypher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi nicolas!

Thanks very much for the very fast reply.
Well, so basicly it can work also on 5-6 V supply. The voltage divider is necessary also in the case of 5V? Is the dual voltage (for example -3,0,3V) really needed (because the chip shop also work on single voltage)?

When running from the default 9V, how big is the output of this circuit ? Is it giving 0-5V on the OUTPUT or how much (I will not want to burn out the VC AMP).
nicolas3141

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep - everywhere in the circuit where it says 0V needs to be connected to a reference voltage halfway between the +ve and -ve supplies.

On 6V (ie +/-3V) supplies (if using LM324) you should tune the resistor values so that the output goes from 0V up to about 1V and then settles back to 0V. On 5V (+/-2.5V) you should tune it for slightly less than 1V.

If you need more than 1V out of it you will need to look at special low voltage capable op-amps like the LMV324 mentioned above.

Cheers,
Nicolas
JovianPyx

Audio files: 224

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's my ADSR design based on a CD4069UB IC and a TL0x2 opamp (note that I used TL082, but TL072 should work too). S1 is a "punch" switch.

ADSR3f.gif
 Description:
CMOS (mainly) ADSR
 Filesize:  6.03 KB
 Viewed:  33137 Time(s)

ADSR3f.gif

Time flies like a banana.
Fruit flies when you're having fun.
BTW, Do these genes make my ass look fat?
corruptio optimi pessima
prgdeltablues

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been breadboarding the neat AD/AR circuit by Ian Fritz mentioned in the first page of this thread, trying out various things in the back to back diode arrangement in the feedback loop of a2 (the area of the 'truncate' switch), and thought I'd share my findings. Different diodes do have an effect on the envelope, though not very strong.

In fact, the circuit works with no diodes at all- just a wire from opamp output to - input. That gives the longest attack and decay times for any settings of the attack and decay pots. Using 1N4148's shortens the times somewhat, and using LED's makes them even shorter. Here's some screenshots from audacity showing the envelopes for various settings.

First is with min Attack and max decay. You can see using the LED's makes the decay tail off sooner. Next is with maximum attack and min decay. And finally, both Attack and Decay set to only just above minimum. You can see the LED is punchier, and hear it on the attached mp3 (this just is LP filtered white noise). (I used a 100k Attack pot and 1MEG Decay).

I'm building a hex version of this, with two of each flavour.

Peter

ADAR#3.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  61.98 KB
 Viewed:  32991 Time(s)

ADAR#3.JPG

ADAR#2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  44.79 KB
 Viewed:  32991 Time(s)

ADAR#2.JPG

ADAR#1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  34.17 KB
 Viewed:  32992 Time(s)

ADAR#1.JPG

A0D0LED.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  A0D0LED.mp3
 Filesize:  513.81 KB
 Downloaded:  1306 Time(s)

oculus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i just made Nicolas ADSR on a vero after breadboarding it,
im loving your simple circuits i think i´ll end up building them all.

it seems to be working but i just noticed that when i had a fast attack, short decay, the sustain in zero(no sustain) and the release in zero(no release) i get this sustaining voltage but when i increase the release just a bit it goes away.

here´s a sound example -
(you might have to do a right click and save link as) http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4440248/drasl/ADSR%20release%20problem.mp3

i used 470k on the 3rd opamp on the lm354 as Fonik did and added the led driver.
im using 1m pot for attack 10k sustain 470k for decay and release
also i have a ne5532 opamp on the output for some boosting if needed and inverted Envelope output.

does anyone know what might be the problem with the release ?
i thought it might be some faulty pot so i tried also using a 1m pot on the release but it was still the same,
thanks
kind regards Fridfinnur
frijitz

Audio files: 54

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

prgdeltablues wrote:
In fact, the circuit works with no diodes at all- just a wire from opamp output to - input. That gives the longest attack and decay times for any settings of the attack and decay pots. Using 1N4148's shortens the times somewhat, and using LED's makes them even shorter. Here's some screenshots from audacity showing the envelopes for various settings.

Good work. The main effect of the diodes has to do with the shape of the decay curve. With no diodes there is a long, non-expo tail due to the diode resistance increasing as the voltage drop across it decreases. With the two identical diodes, this effect is compensated, ie the decay is exponential all the way. I'm not sure about using the LEDS -- it might give a somewhat truncated decay.

Very Happy

Ian
oculus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i forgot to mention, the adsr is modulation the filter on korg ms10 in the sample i posted here above.

is anybody experiencing the same problem with the release ?

thanks Fridfinnur
El Mop

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Did already someone tweak the resistors for a +12V/-12V version of Nicolas ADSR?
acidblue

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Taking a look at Fonik's schem for the woollastonadsr I noticed there are Ferrite beads on the power supply.
Are those absolutly necessary?
Could those be left out??

about 2/3 the way down.
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-31473-50.html
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, ferrites can be left out. You can use 10R resistors or jumpers in their place, most people recommend the low value resistors.

Edit: looking at the schematic now, that's what the "10R/Ferrite" is meant to indicate, either/or.
acidblue

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks elmegil. Laughing

BTW is the Gate In a switched mono jack??
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, it is, tied to +15V. Looks like it would be there to support the LFO function of the circuit, tying the input high.
flood

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nicolas3141 wrote:
My LM324 based ADSR (see above) should work on 6V, but you may need to tweak a few resistor values. You possibly should look at swapping the LM324 for a low voltage version - especially if you want to run it on 5V. LMV324 would be ideal for 5V operation, but it is only available surface mount - not sure how you feel about that. There are other options, but you will need to shop around to get something through-hole.

To run it on 6V you need to create a -3V / 0V / +3V situation with a voltage divider or whatever.

Cheers,
Nicolas

I'm trying to design a version off this running off +12V, using an opamp buffered VREF to provide for a low impedance virtual ground at 6V. would this work (to any extent at all?).

thanks! with some luck i will test it over the next couple of days and have some results to speak of...
abelovesfun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Finished my prototype of this circuit for euro:
http://aisynthesis.com/product/looping-adsr-envelope-generator-diy-kit/

It will be available as a PCB, PCB+Panel, full kit, or pre-assembled.

There's a mailing list there if you want to be notified. We're sending the PCBs off for mass manufacture next Monday.

I make Eurorack DIY Kits (pcb and or panels also available): aisynthesis.com
wackelpeter

Audio files: 10

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is there any better cleaning effect with Colgate tooth brush? Should i switch from Dr.Best to colgate to get my boards cleaner? Very Happy
I'm afraid i can't trust the promises from the advertising anymore... Wink

abelovesfun

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My dentist says the best toothbrush is the one you use Smile

abelovesfun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Finally!
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Our AI003 Looping ADSR is now available. While the company is primarily aimed at teaching DIY, we DO sell built modules as well with a limited 1 year warranty (but you can get it as a PCB, PCB+Panel, or Full Kit too).

It's a really cool (and surprisingly simple) design we adapted from the wonderful Nicolas (with his permission of course).
Using only two analog ICs, and some clever diode switching, you get an ADSR or a variable waveshape Saw-Tri-Ramp LFO.

The panel was designed by Grayscale, uses no wiring, and, as with all of our modules, there is a full video how-to build guide if you go DIY.

More info here: http://aisynthesis.com/product/looping-adsr-envelope-generator-diy-kit /

Project_2501

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nicolas3141 wrote:

And for anyone interested in breadboarding or building on stripboard, here is my stripboard layout. Be aware that two diodes and several resistors are not on the board, but instead hang off the back of the pots and sockets on the front panel. Let me know if you need help with the panel wiring side of things, but I have not diagrammed that at this stage.

Cheers,
Nicolas

Thank you for all your beautiful little builds to help everyone dive in synthesis Smile
Does anyone have a picture or a better layout for the potentiometers wiring? That would be so helpful.

Srry if I awoken an old thread.
gabbagabi

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

threads are never be to old to be revitalized!

i guess the wire-ing is meant to be like in the picture below.

cheers

nicolASADSR.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  235.59 KB
 Viewed:  1095 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

nicolASADSR.png

PERFORMANCE

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, I just stripboarded Matthias' redrawn/ modified schematic of Nicolas' ADSR in theory (I already took a closer look at it but AI selling those made me finally decide to give it my own try) to build it for my newly reanimated eurorack tomorrow. I know it's intended for 15V but I also know in cases of non critical modules as EGs this won't matter that much. I did NOT include the extra caps for power stabilty but I think these can be left out if the PS is quite stable anyway, right? I have just built an active mixer which just works like a charm and without noise without any extra caps and stuff. Anyway: do you see anything that doesn't look right in my stripboard layout?

Thanks in advance! Nicolas designs are killer, btw.!

Nicolas ADSR.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  240.1 KB
 Viewed:  466 Time(s)

Nicolas ADSR.png

PERFORMANCE

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay, so i have built the module today and kinda got it to work but not really. Here‘s a link to a small video showing ho oddly it behaves.

https://youtu.be/h1jJYLKFV8A

The knobs from left to right are ADSR. When Attack is fully ccw the LED lights up constantly, the more it is turned cw the less bright it gets. Attack kind of works but Decay doesn‘t seem to change anything so does Sustain do - no changes. Release kind of acts normal as well but overall the behaviour is pretty strange:

The overall amplitude of the signal is far too small - I haven‘t measured voltages but the change in parameters e.g. cutoff of a Doepfer a-121-2 or the pitch of the Doepfer VCO is way to small. As mentioned, the LED behaves strange as well - it seems to be dependant on the Attack parameter.

Another things that’s strange is that it doesn‘t seem to go to zero and that the LED is constantly lit even when theres no gate present nor the LFO switch activated.

The LFO switch doesn‘t work properly as well. In the video everything is triggered with a simple manual gate.

The Module runs on 0-12V, -12 is not connected (as in the schematic). The schematic by Matthias is intended for +-15V but I supposed this wouldn‘t matter at all. Maybe it does?

Below are some pictures of the build attached, maybe it helps. Thanks everybody! I have grown mature enough to finally invest enough patience and time into SDIY so that I‘m looking forward to actively participating in the forums from now on in contrast to lurking around for more than a decade and not really contributing anything to the community, btw....

D0A46A62-A80A-4C8F-9ECF-245F2DC0B245.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.38 MB
 Viewed:  129 Time(s)

D0A46A62-A80A-4C8F-9ECF-245F2DC0B245.jpeg

62F88EA5-ADD8-4F67-9B98-BC47A7A84D13.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.37 MB
 Viewed:  137 Time(s)

62F88EA5-ADD8-4F67-9B98-BC47A7A84D13.jpeg

1CA1B467-BC70-4317-ABCF-FA24754E3AAF.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.34 MB
 Viewed:  158 Time(s)

1CA1B467-BC70-4317-ABCF-FA24754E3AAF.jpeg

PERFORMANCE

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay, sorry for the spam - it didn't stop bothering me...from fonik's redrawn schem I assumed the negative pin of the LM324N would need to be connected to GND/0V but comparing it to Nicola's original design I suspect one of my mistakes was not to connect it to -V but to GND instead, right? I will give it another try later on and post my results....

Cheers!

UPDATE: soldering negative power of the LM324 to -V instead of ground significantly improved the overall performance. Nevertheless the behaviour is not as I would expect from an ADSR. Has anybody had success transfering the values to eurorack-level? I will try to change some resistor values and see if there‘s a difference this week...but some other projects hve also arrived from the UK soooooo they probably will come first.

Update 2: HEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP, 12V anyone? cry
hobbyseason

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PERFORMANCE did u end up getting this working with + / - 12v?

ive been toying with this circuit for a few days, trying to get it to work with 12v.

i feel like im close but its not quite there.

my symptoms may be sort of similar to you experience?

the lfo / trigger switch does not work at all :S
most of the pots work as they should, however if i turn the release pot up over about 30% the gate is always open.

i did find an interesting way to modify the attack time by putting the 10uf on a switch with some other cap values (as low as 100nf and as high as 100uf for SUPER slow attack)

PERFORMANCE wrote:
Okay, sorry for the spam - it didn't stop bothering me...from fonik's redrawn schem I assumed the negative pin of the LM324N would need to be connected to GND/0V but comparing it to Nicola's original design I suspect one of my mistakes was not to connect it to -V but to GND instead, right? I will give it another try later on and post my results....

Cheers!

UPDATE: soldering negative power of the LM324 to -V instead of ground significantly improved the overall performance. Nevertheless the behaviour is not as I would expect from an ADSR. Has anybody had success transfering the values to eurorack-level? I will try to change some resistor values and see if there‘s a difference this week...but some other projects hve also arrived from the UK soooooo they probably will come first.

PERFORMANCE

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hobbyseason wrote:
PERFORMANCE did u end up getting this working with + / - 12v?

ive been toying with this circuit for a few days, trying to get it to work with 12v.

i feel like im close but its not quite there.

my symptoms may be sort of similar to you experience?

the lfo / trigger switch does not work at all :S
most of the pots work as they should, however if i turn the release pot up over about 30% the gate is always open.

i did find an interesting way to modify the attack time by putting the 10uf on a switch with some other cap values (as low as 100nf and as high as 100uf for SUPER slow attack)

PERFORMANCE wrote:

Cheers!

Hey! Nah, I haven't made any progress on this one yet but I'm still eager to solve it. I've recently built a bench supply with breadboard connectivity and might give this a spin on breadboard in the near future. Will keep all of you updated! Meanwhile I did have success on René Schmitz' "Fastest Envelope in the West" which I've built two of - cool!
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 5 of 6 [126 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: